the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

Hey kingzoso. How ya doin'? Thanks for the video. I'm glad they're keeping more with the physicality without losing anything on special effects. I'm wondering how this will compare with the Prequel trilogy. I hope it keeps with the story line. Have a great weekend.

I'm good and you? From what was first posted for the first trailer, I think that this will be better then the prequels. Not a lot is known about the overall plot or story for this 7th episode, but just watching that brief trailer, it looks like the effects are awesome. This one:

Hey kingzoso. How ya doin'? Thanks for the video. I'm glad they're keeping more with the physicality without losing anything on special effects. I'm wondering how this will compare with the Prequel trilogy. I hope it keeps with the story line. Have a great weekend.

If it were being directed by a cadre of chimpanzees it would still stand a chance of being better than those horrid "prequels". Frankly, why should you even care how it compares to the "prequels" and even more insanely, why would you "hope it keeps with the story line"?!? :blink:

The "prequels" turned the Star Wars mythos into nothing more than Twilight-like teen romance mush. It was George Lucas vomiting and defecating over his fans and his own creation in the chase for ever more kiddie merchandising dollars. Fuck him...I'm glad he's gone, and Jar Jar Binks and Queen Poopie Pants with him.

Look, these new Star Wars films will be a continuation of the story as told in the original three Star Wars movies...Episodes IV, V, and VI. That is the ONLY storyline that these new films should be concerned with following and continuing.

As far as I am concerned, the "prequels" don't exist...JJ Abrams and Disney are welcome to create a new "origin story" for Luke and Leia and Darth Vader if they want. Because the one George Lucas foisted on us sucked. But the main thing these new Star Wars films should be about is getting back to the spirit of adventure and camaraderie the old movies had...especially "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back".

Concentrate on the films first...not the toy merchandise possibilities.

I agree. That's why my concern. I think Lucas ruined it with going back and screwing with the originals. And I wasn't impressed with the Prequels.

I was let down with the Prequels. I wish Jar Jar Bink's tongue would have snapped off.

I'm pulling for this one to get things back to the IV V and VI.

I agree. That's why my concern. I think Lucas ruined it with going back and screwing with the originals. And I wasn't impressed with the Prequels.

I was let down with the Prequels. I wish Jar Jar Bink's tongue would have snapped off.

I'm pulling for this one to get things back to the IV V and VI.

The way you worded your previous post made it sound like you wanted the new Star Wars film to keep with the "Prequels" storyline.

If it were being directed by a cadre of chimpanzees it would still stand a chance of being better than those horrid "prequels". Frankly, why should you even care how it compares to the "prequels" and even more insanely, why would you "hope it keeps with the story line"?!? :blink:

The "prequels" turned the Star Wars mythos into nothing more than Twilight-like teen romance mush. It was George Lucas vomiting and defecating over his fans and his own creation in the chase for ever more kiddie merchandising dollars. Fuck him...I'm glad he's gone, and Jar Jar Binks and Queen Poopie Pants with him.

Look, these new Star Wars films will be a continuation of the story as told in the original three Star Wars movies...Episodes IV, V, and VI. That is the ONLY storyline that these new films should be concerned with following and continuing.

As far as I am concerned, the "prequels" don't exist...JJ Abrams and Disney are welcome to create a new "origin story" for Luke and Leia and Darth Vader if they want. Because the one George Lucas foisted on us sucked. But the main thing these new Star Wars films should be about is getting back to the spirit of adventure and camaraderie the old movies had...especially "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back".

Concentrate on the films first...not the toy merchandise possibilities.

I can see your points Strider, but quite honestly I think people give the entire Star Wars story too much credit, it was pretty cheezy even with the first 3 films. Lucas ripped off so much from Dune and other much better science fiction stories, and yes just packaged it all up for mass teen consumption--- sort of like Gene Simmons and KISS. I think years later with the 'prequels' Lucas was attempting to make the story more serious--- I don't know, but it was just a shambolic mess. Even going back and adding or deleting stuff from the original trilogy.

I think JJ Abrams may be able to pull off an entertaining film, but not sure if will be interesting enough to carry another trilogy. Personally I find the whole thing so goofy anyway; thought that from the very start. Who can watch that disco bar scene from ep IV and not feel like laughing their asses off from the sheer goofiness of it?

To me Star Wars is like McDonalds; something somebody may have liked as a kid but then never realized later that it wasn't very good.

^ I'm not a movie buff, nor did I care for much of the Star Wars storyline, goofball scenes, and cutesy characters. Definitely lost any interest, back when these Ewoks were brought into it. BUT, as I remember watching the first movie at a family get-together out of state - I've never seen such audience enthusiasm and reaction to any other movie. The oooohs and aaaahs, booing Darth Vadar when he appeared, cheering the ending...

^ I'm not a movie buff, nor did I care for much of the Star Wars storyline, goofball scenes, and cutesy characters. Definitely lost any interest, back when these Ewoks were brought into it. BUT, as I remember watching the first movie at a family get-together out of state - I've never seen such audience enthusiasm and reaction to any other movie. The oooohs and aaaahs, booing Darth Vadar when he appeared, cheering the ending...

Yeah, it was sort of novel and cute, but nothing on a scale in my opinion of 2001: A Space Odyssey. My original thought of the film was that is was a modern King Arthur type legend not at all to be taken seriously in any way.

I can see your points Strider, but quite honestly I think people give the entire Star Wars story too much credit, it was pretty cheezy even with the first 3 films. Lucas ripped off so much from Dune and other much better science fiction stories, and yes just packaged it all up for mass teen consumption--- sort of like Gene Simmons and KISS. I think years later with the 'prequels' Lucas was attempting to make the story more serious--- I don't know, but it was just a shambolic mess. Even going back and adding or deleting stuff from the original trilogy.

I think JJ Abrams may be able to pull off an entertaining film, but not sure if will be interesting enough to carry another trilogy. Personally I find the whole thing so goofy anyway; thought that from the very start. Who can watch that disco bar scene from ep IV and not feel like laughing their asses off from the sheer goofiness of it?

To me Star Wars is like McDonalds; something somebody may have liked as a kid but then never realized later that it wasn't very good.

I was merely answering as someone interested in seeing a decent "Star Wars" movie again, not as a "Star Wars" fanboy, of which I am not. I liked "Star Wars" for what it was when it first arrived in 1977...a fun space-western with overtones of Joseph Campbell, Kurosawa, Lord of the Rings, Dune, and everything-but-the-kitchen-sink special effects (made possible by Douglas Trumbull, the man who got his start on "2001: A Space Odyssey"). But it wasn't even my favourite movie of 1977.

Not only do I hold "2001" nearer and dearer to my heart, but I am also more of a "Star Trek" fan (especially the original TV show) than a "Star Wars" guy. The kid in me still appreciates "Star Wars" for what it is...and for the impact it made in the world when it was released. All those people standing in line doubling back on itself at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood...it was crazy.

But it is not holy scripture for me.

I was merely answering as someone interested in seeing a decent "Star Wars" movie again, not as a "Star Wars" fanboy, of which I am not. I liked "Star Wars" for what it was when it first arrived in 1977...a fun space-western with overtones of Joseph Campbell, Kurosawa, Lord of the Rings, Dune, and everything-but-the-kitchen-sink special effects (made possible by Douglas Trumbull, the man who got his start on "2001: A Space Odyssey"). But it wasn't even my favourite movie of 1977.

Not only do I hold "2001" nearer and dearer to my heart, but I am also more of a "Star Trek" fan (especially the original TV show) than a "Star Wars" guy. The kid in me still appreciates "Star Wars" for what it is...and for the impact it made in the world when it was released. All those people standing in line doubling back on itself at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood...it was crazy.

But it is not holy scripture for me.

I agree with everything you said and share the same opinion. My first viewing of "episode IV" was just as you described. Later I was turned off by what I considered a crazy mania over the film that it didn't deserve and was therefore not very impressed with episodes which followed.

Star Trek (the original TV series) struck a chord because of great writing and a willingness to tackle social themes of the time in an intelligent manner. In terms of the Star Trek films I really only enjoyed "Wrath of Khan" because it was in line with the TV show.

Didn't mean to suggest you were a fanboi of Star Wars, but that being said I will probably go see the new film because I am a fan of JJ Abrahams, and I am curious to see if he can actually save this franchise and make it entertaining again like the first film was.

"Wrath of Khan" was definitely the best Star Trek movie, for the reason you gave. I remember being so disappointed with the first movie - when the camera angle didn't tilt and all the deck members didn't tumble around during attacks or warp drive scenes.

• 1 month later...

I can't help but feel pessimistic about the new film since pretty much everything Star Wars related has been terrible after the original trilogy. However, I am interested in just how it will turn out since Shadows of the Empire was a non-Lucas installment and it turned out better than all of his post-trilogy efforts.

I can't help but feel pessimistic about the new film since pretty much everything Star Wars related has been terrible after the original trilogy. However, I am interested in just how it will turn out since Shadows of the Empire was a non-Lucas installment and it turned out better than all of his post-trilogy efforts.

Anything has to be better than episodes I-III & VI.

FUCKING EWOKS!!!

It's going to be great, my 12 year old son is really excited about it, the problem with adults is they will watch and review the movie with their adult minds and adult expectations - a movie that is geared for the typical 13 year old who is absorbing things and has eyes of wonder. Just have fun with it

Edited by Charles J. White

• 4 weeks later...

new trailer apparently out 19th Oct! also wondering who is going to play Lando in the Han film, they go waaay back 

It almost seems like Lando is conspicious by his absence in The Force Awakens- just about everybody else from the old cast is back for it...

Here's a point my wife actually brought up: if in these new films a visit from Obi Wan is ever required, would they just get Ewan MacGregor to play his ghost?