the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

DISNEY TO RE-RELEASE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL CUTS OF ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disney-to-re-release-theatrical-cuts-of-the-original-star-wars-t/

Now THAT'S what I'm down with that...I can finally retire my old laserdisc rips of the Original Trilogy. I watched Lucas' "new" versions the same amount of times I watched (make that "suffered through") episodes 1-3: exactly once.

Edited by Nutrocker

Now THAT'S what I'm down with that...I can finally retire my old laserdisc rips of the Original Trilogy. I watched Lucas' "new" versions the same amount of times I watched (make that "suffered through") episodes 1-3: exactly once.

At last, Han Solo gets to shoot first again.:guns:

DISNEY TO RE-RELEASE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL CUTS OF ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disney-to-re-release-theatrical-cuts-of-the-original-star-wars-t/

Old news -- completely unsubstantiated...not saying we won't get them at some point, but they're a ways off yet.

I personally think the BRs are fine, barring a few abysmal edits...clean them up, get rid of the stupid additions -- extra rocks, "No..." -- and I can live with Han shooting simultaneously with Greedo.

In other SW news: The new Battlefront game is gorgeous and awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy there, pal. Don't get too high. Remember what happened the last time you got your hopes up for a Star Wars movie.

Well....I was pretty high....lol...but thats a topic for another thread...What I'd like to know is what was Lucas smoking when he came up with Brinks and them little bastards that almost ruined Jedi !

2015-10-20-19-17-15-1.png

Edited by zepscoda

Where is Luke Skywalker?

Not on the poster or in the trailer, has he gone over to the dark side or is he dead?

The first six movies are being shown on TV here as a precursor to the new movie. Starting with TPM three weeks ago, this Saturday it's ANH.

Edited by Reggie29

Where is Luke Skywalker?

Not on the poster or in the trailer, has he gone over to the dark side or is he dead?

It seems obvious that the director and the producers are purposely leaving Luke Skywalker out of the poster(s) and trailers and his role in this new rendition.  They want people just like you to ask the same question that you asked.  For them (and us) it generates a certain amount of buzz and media speculation.  All the better for this film to be one of, if not the, highest grossing movie of all-time. 

By the way, aren't you one of the others (among many) to bad-mouth Me and disparage Me anytime you get a chance?  That does not bother Me in the least, it just seems kinda strange that you would reply and respond to any topic I generated considering the fact that you like to say some very disparaging and negative things about Me personally (in the past). 

It seems obvious that the director and the producers are purposely leaving Luke Skywalker out of the poster(s) and trailers and his role in this new rendition.  They want people just like you to ask the same question that you asked.  For them (and us) it generates a certain amount of buzz and media speculation.  All the better for this film to be one of, if not the, highest grossing movie of all-time. 

By the way, aren't you one of the others (among many) to bad-mouth Me and disparage Me anytime you get a chance?  That does not bother Me in the least, it just seems kinda strange that you would reply and respond to any topic I generated considering the fact that you like to say some very disparaging and negative things about Me personally (in the past). 

That is ancient history. Time to move on now, don't you think?

We can all reply to any post or topic regardless of who the OP is/was.

Cheers.

I'm on the very outside edge of Star Wars interest, so I find this trailer confusing. Older Han Solo and Leia are there, indicating it's in the future, but what's the sequence? Is this supposed to be taking place after 4,5,6 or 1,2,3? 

It is suppose to be 30 years after TROJ.

Where is Luke Skywalker?

The first six movies are being shown on TV here as a precursor to the new movie. Starting with TPM three weeks ago, this Saturday it's ANH.

Luke is briefly in the trailer but you have to be quick with the eye. There is a very short, maybe half a second shot of a hooded figure kneeling with a mechanical right hand which is resting on R2D2's head. Me thinks Luke will be playing an Obi Wan / Yoda role to the new Jedi characters development.

Also, regarding those damn Ewoks. Lucas could have easily pulled them off if he would have just gone all horror show with them. That is, they look cute and cuddly, but make them vicious killer / murderer cannibals that both sides had to contend with. A whole human kind vs. nature kind of thing. Of course if he would have done that his whole marketing to the kiddies would have come to a screeching halt. But damn, that would have made ROTJ an awesome movie...Lucas meets Carpenter sort of thing, except the Ewoks would be sans hockey masks.

Edited by IpMan

I'm on the very outside edge of Star Wars interest, so I find this trailer confusing. Older Han Solo and Leia are there, indicating it's in the future, but what's the sequence? Is this supposed to be taking place after 4,5,6 or 1,2,3? 

From the trailer I thought it was a nice touch having Han and Lei's 'love theme' thrown in there (John Williams is doing the score for VII, isn't he?)- they also did a good job at making them look older but still pretty much the same. 

Obviously the guy touching R2 is Luke...he'll be like the new Obi-Wan with a little Yoda thrown in. 3PO is conspicuous with his absence though, but I suppose he'll show up somewhere.

Online ticket sales for VII went through the roof. Think the raffle for the Zeppelin reunion show, it crashed some of the sites :lol: But just from the trailers it looks like the new movie has more action than Episodes 1,2,3 and put together...that's something. For me, I was nine when Star Wars came out, it was probably one of the first movies I saw in the theatre (I wasn't allowed to go with my Aunt and Uncle to go see Zeppelin in Seattle but Star Wars was okay for my parents). Saw Empire and Jedi as well, same theatre, I think, had quite a few of the toys...and years later when Phantom Menace came out my wife and I watched it and were like, "It looks and sounds like a Star Wars movie, but it doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie." I fell asleep and missed most of Clones when we saw it (and I haven't seen it since nor have I wanted to) and I thought Sith was a disappointment as well. The Force Awakens feels like a Star Wars movie again (and even my wife agreed when I showed her the trailer!)

Luke is briefly in the trailer but you have to be quick with the eye. There is a very short, maybe half a second shot of a hooded figure kneeling with a mechanical right hand which is resting on R2D2's head. Me thinks Luke will be playing an Obi Wan / Yoda role to the new Jedi characters development.

I just said that :lol:

Also, regarding those damn Ewoks. Lucas could have easily pulled them off if he would have just gone all horror show with them. That is, they look cute and cuddly, but make them vicious killer / murderer cannibals that both sides had to contend with. A whole human kind vs. nature kind of thing. Of course if he would have done that his whole marketing to the kiddies would have come to a screeching halt. But damn, that would have made ROTJ an awesome movie...Lucas meets Carpenter sort of thing, except the Ewoks would be sans hockey masks.

The Jawas should have been evil too. "Oo-tee-dee!" indeed.

Where is Luke Skywalker?

It's called the "slow reveal"...it builds suspense and anticipation.

In chronological order of the story, the Star Wars movies go like this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Hence, this new Star Wars, Episode 7, follows #6 "Return of the Jedi" in the narrative drive.

The most recent Star Wars movies were "prequels", so-to-speak. They told the story of the events that occurred before the first "Star Wars" movie that was released in 1977 with the somewhat puzzling and humorous "Episode IV" prologue attached.

I remember some of us thinking "Episode 4? What happened to Episodes 1, 2, and 3? Did we miss something?" It seemed pretty radical starting a saga in the middle of the story!

Unfortunately, as we discovered 20 years later with the Prequels, we didn't miss much. Hopes are that the story to come is better.

WTF? Just curious...do you keep an "Enemies List" like Richard Nixon did?

Like "Gremlins". "Gremlins" was basically a response to the sickeningly cute Ewoks. Joe Dante said lets take something cute and make them nasty...and it turned out that kids ate it up! "Gremlins" was the surprise hit of the summer of 1984.

Edited by Strider

I was kind of hoping this would open on Black Friday.  I just wanted to see the confusion caused by the same morons having to flip a coin if they should camp over night at Best Buy or the local movie theater.

Two different breeds of idiots. However if they ever joined forces they could seriously threaten the safety of the free world.

Combined with the idiots who camp overnight to buy some street thug's "limited edition" sneakers.

Thanks for the trailer, marlam :)

Nutrocker - that's rotten luck you couldn't get to see Zep back in the day, my God... 

Thanks, man :)

It's called the "slow reveal"...it builds suspense and anticipation.

In chronological order of the story, the Star Wars movies go like this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Hence, this new Star Wars, Episode 7, follows #6 "Return of the Jedi" in the narrative drive.

The most recent Star Wars movies were "prequels", so-to-speak. They told the story of the events that occurred before the first "Star Wars" movie that was released in 1977 with the somewhat puzzling and humorous "Episode IV" prologue attached.

I remember some of us thinking "Episode 4? What happened to Episodes 1, 2, and 3? Did we miss something?" It seemed pretty radical starting a saga in the middle of the story!

Unfortunately, as we discovered 20 years later with the Prequels, we didn't miss much. Hopes are that the story to come is better.

WTF? Just curious...do you keep an "Enemies List" like Richard Nixon did?

Like "Gremlins". "Gremlins" was basically a response to the sickeningly cute Ewoks. Joe Dante said lets take something cute and make them nasty...and it turned out that kids ate it up! "Gremlins" was the surprise hit of the summer of 1984.

Yeah that was the confusion. I understand the sequence, but of course Episode 4 was the first movie and Episode 1 was the fourth so I wasn't sure if I could count on Episode 7 actually following Episode 3 or 6. Thanks, George Lucas, that read about as well as a Star Wars plot. 

I was shocked that he sold Lucas Film to Disney because he seems like a guy who likes uber control, but thank goodness for the change as hopefully the story is trimmed and taut and moves along in a way that doesn't make it seem as if the director can't get himself out of a brown paper lunch bag. 

And there bloody better well not be anything resembling the Jar Jar buffoonery or I may start throwing things at the screen. This was probably one of those situations where many people saw how bad it was but nobody dared say anything to Lucas (not the only time, surely), or they did and he simply said no. 

I'm curious to see it under new direction, but will strategize to avoid the crazy lines and people.

Nutrocker - that's rotten luck you couldn't get to see Zep back in the day, my God... 

Well, I was only nine...my folks were probably right to put the kibosh on that one...at least they let my Aunt and Unc take me to see the Stones in Seattle four years later!