Peter Mensch to answer fan questions on Reddit again

Cookie0024

As soon as I read "Page is set to release another album and embark on a tour late this year," I had my doubts. The evidence we have suggests otherwise.

So, in other words, she's a misleading journalist (at best).

As much as I hate to say it, yes. Although I do know Stephanie and I think it's an editorial decision from Bloomberg.

Back to Peter Mensch - I won't be able to take part in the Reddit thing but he may well be in a position to speak much more substantively about the box sets.

If anyone wants to, could they ask him about whether any new visual elements can be expected: photos, visual presentations, reworkings of album covers etc ?

Nothing as interesting as what was said last time. Delayed remaster box sets, might be released as one package. They will include outtakes and different mixes, no progress on Jimmy's album.

I wouldn't say that at all -- in fact, reading between the lines, I'd say this AMA is more interesting in what's being unsaid/alluded to.

Really? Could you elaborate please?

I think it's much clearer now how out of the loop Peter Mensch is (and possibly the other managers are) re: the Led Zeppelin remasters. It seems to be a separate thing...and he appears to be equally as annoyed at the lack of "progress" of Jimmy's solo career thus far.

His Anderson Theater comment piqued my interest -- I wonder if Jimmy looked into it, and it was too much of a hassle.

At least he was candid -- he seems bummed out by not being able to answer, too! :P

Thought it was interesting that he said he'd seen Page play live three times: in '76 (maybe he meant '77?), 2007 with Zep, and R&R HOF with Beck. I can't believe I've seen more live Page performances than his own manager!

Hey Cookie... thanks for helping hook me up to the reddit gig! Pretty disappointing unfortunately - I realize P.Mensch manages a lot of groups but Jimmy Page is by far the one generating the majority of the BUZZ and participation in the forum for all of us HUNGRY for REAL Led Zeppelin news. I can't quite figure out his decision to return after three months with essentially NO content???

His answer to my questions regarding the Vinyl Reissues were troubling @ best and I sincerely hope when the decisions are made whether or not to do the Vinyl Releases individually or as a box set that they (whoever besides Jimmy Page has a say) base that decision on contemporary economic realities. Over half the U.S. lives in poverty and 3/4 of the remainder are struggling to keep their heads above water! An all-inclusive vinyl box set would be out of reach for a LOT of Zeppelin Fans Old and New. I for one would prefer NOT to have to sell a kidney to China to be able to afford it.

People are rebuilding their lives piece by piece and the Vinyl Renaissance is about rebuilding our collections - one-at-a-time. Do the right thing Jimmy!

Peace

Thought it was interesting that he said he'd seen Page play live three times: in '76 (maybe he meant '77?), 2007 with Zep, and R&R HOF with Beck. I can't believe I've seen more live Page performances than his own manager!

I'm assuming 1975 or 1977...to be fair, he only took over as Pagey's manager a few years ago, right?

Hey Cookie... thanks for helping hook me up to the reddit gig! Pretty disappointing unfortunately - I realize P.Mensch manages a lot of groups but Jimmy Page is by far the one generating the majority of the BUZZ and participation in the forum for all of us HUNGRY for REAL Led Zeppelin news. I can't quite figure out his decision to return after three months with essentially NO content???

His answer to my questions regarding the Vinyl Reissues were troubling @ best and I sincerely hope when the decisions are made whether or not to do the Vinyl Releases individually or as a box set that they (whoever besides Jimmy Page has a say) base that decision on contemporary economic realities. Over half the U.S. lives in poverty and 3/4 of the remainder are struggling to keep their heads above water! An all-inclusive vinyl box set would be out of reach for a LOT of Zeppelin Fans Old and New. I for one would prefer NOT to have to sell a kidney to China to be able to afford it.

People are rebuilding their lives piece by piece and the Vinyl Renaissance is about rebuilding our collections - one-at-a-time. Do the right thing Jimmy!

Peace

...A little preachy, no? If you can't afford something which amounts to luxury, don't buy it. That being said...hopefully the reissues will be reasonably priced, and not extortive, as most vinyl reissues are.

(It's most likely that the albums will be released individually and in a box.)

I'm assuming 1975 or 1977...to be fair, he only took over as Pagey's manager a few years ago, right?

...A little preachy, no? If you can't afford something which amounts to luxury, don't buy it. That being said...hopefully the reissues will be reasonably priced, and not extortive, as most vinyl reissues are.

"A little preachy, no?" Mmmm... maybe the "Do the right thing Jimmy" was a bit. But certainly NOT expressing the truth regarding the economic realities of the majority of the U.S. and a LOT of Led Zeppelin Fans. Nor what a bad idea a box set of the Vinyl Reissues would be vs. releasing them individually - which was presented as and EITHER/OR option by P.Mensch and NOT both as you suggest. Hopefully he really is "out of the loop" on that decision making process and just misspoke.

You're right about one thing... a Led Zeppelin Vinyl Reissue Box Set, including only Jimmy knows what in extras would be a serious luxury item. And of little interest to the majority wanting to experience the sublime sonic quality of Led Zeppelin on Vinyl and the JOY of their music... and NOT have it be a "Can I afford this luxury item??" decision.

Ah well, the wait goes on for us and Pete Mensch.

Thanks to the folk who asked the sensible questions.

You mean you didn't like the "Do you party with your clients?" question?? I think he skipped that one :>)

His Anderson Theater comment piqued my interest -- I wonder if Jimmy looked into it, and it was too much of a hassle.

I haven't bothered with the Mensch interview so I'm not sure what he may have said. I posted details here about three or four years years ago that in December 2000 Jimmy canceled a meeting to resolve 'Live Yardbirds! Featuring Jimmy Page' royalties & ownership. On January 22, 2001 Jimmy made a formal offer to The Yardbirds (Dreja/McCarty) for him to produce an album of all The Yardbirds' Anderson Theatre and New York studio tracks. It was rejected and now more than twelve years down the line it seems there's still too much water under the bridge.

I haven't bothered with the Mensch interview so I'm not sure what he may have said. I posted details here about three or four years years ago that in December 2000 Jimmy canceled a meeting to resolve 'Live Yardbirds! Featuring Jimmy Page' royalties & ownership. On January 22, 2001 Jimmy made a formal offer to The Yardbirds (Dreja/McCarty) for him to produce an album of all The Yardbirds' Anderson Theatre and New York studio tracks. It was rejected and now more than twelve years down the line it seems there's still too much water under the bridge.

What is the issue between Page and the other surviving Yardbirds regarding royalties and ownership? Who is claiming what? Does anyone know?

Archived