Why didn't they play D'yer Mak'er Live?

I read in "Hammer of The Gods" that D'yer Mak'er was difficult to replicate live so they just simply left it out. I've never thought particularly challenging to play on guitar, so why was it just left out?

Apparently, based on some quotes, JPJ and Bonzo weren't that fond of the song. Robert incorporated some of the lyrics during different jams/medleys. Closest they ever came to playing the song was in a make-shift reggae jam during "Communication Breakdown" at the last Earl's Court show in '75.

Apparently, based on some quotes, JPJ and Bonzo weren't that fond of the song. Robert incorporated some of the lyrics during different jams/medleys. Closest they ever came to playing the song was in a make-shift reggae jam during "Communication Breakdown" at the last Earl's Court show in '75.

Yes Walt of course you are correct. Make shift - that is for sure. I suspect the boys indulged in a large bifta of greenery before they came back on. :D

Wasn't Page photographed clutching some Bob Marley & The Wailers albums in the 70's also?

Glad to see Walter offering up facts and insight instead of simply petty opinions.

Yeah...if that's the kinda shite posts the 6 and 53 post newbies plan on bringing to the table here -even 'petty opinions' is giving them way too much credit, Sue- I don't think they'll stick around too long ;) Thanx for playing, though, folks!

I do believe Robert throws in an "Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, you don't have to go-oh" tease at one of the L.A. '77 shows (23-6-77 if I'm not mistaken)

Ironic that a song the band despised so much not only made it onto the album (in place of, say, "The Rover") but became a Classic Rock Radio Mainstay...I mean, "D'yer Mak'er" is one of the five or six Zeppelin songs played relentlessly on the radio these days, at least round these parts :lol:

And, as mentioned, if they could play "Hot Dog" live...

Edited by Nutrocker

^That's pretty much exactly it. You get different songs on "two for Tuesday", or "triple play Thursday." The "Get the Led Out" segment on KLOS sometimes even plays live songs.

Back on topic...I have no idea. JPJ said the same for "In The Light"...too difficult to replicate. I'm sure they could have done it. As far as it it being too easy...maybe? "Kashmir" is incredibly easy to play and they played it at every show (I think) 75-80. "The Rover" would have been amazing.

Off topic, but I'd say those 7 songs are:

Fool in the Rain

D'yer Mak'er

Stairway

Rock and Roll

Black Dog

Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin Maid

Throw in "Kashmir" and "Dazed And Confused" and you've exhausted most radio playlists of Zeppelin...I think I've heard "Achilles Last Stand" on the radio exactly once and I remember being shocked: "Holy shit, they're actually playing 'Achilles Last Stand'!" :lol:

I've heard 'Hey Hey, What Can I Do?' on the radio a few times before.

So have I, but nowhere near as much as the aforementioned songs...

Cause it was shite and still is shite,the biggest Zep mistake ever.

Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad.

They probably never felt like playing it live, like The Rover....

Except for all the times that they played the opening in 1977, of course...

Seriously, guys, they played "The Rover" -- or at least extended segments of it -- several times, including a much more rigorous outing all the way back in 1972.

Then perhaps you'd care to enlighten us over why you think "D'yer Mak'er" is such a 'shite' song, then, instead of just stating it's a 'shite' song and a 'mistake'. Surely you must have actual, objective reasons, right? Otherwise you just come across as an asshole barging in and pissing all over the discussion...Catherine asked a reasonable question, which most of us tried to answer, except for yerself and the one guy who gave yer threadcrap post a "+1" reply. Not saying yer opinion is worthless or anything, but back it up with something. A word to the wise, since yer new here: a little tact and diplomacy goes a long way on this forum...yer not exactly off to a flying start here, not when respected forum veterans like myself, Melcore and Sue are calling you out after eight posts ;)

My reasons are... I just dont like it ,its not Zep.As i said IMO,if it make me an asshole for not liking it then an asshole I am ,im not stupid enough to believe that everything zep ever done is the greatest thing to mankind But I dont like it and I skip it on the CD, I even skipped it when I had the vinyl.Tact ..diplomacy ..what the feck is this place ..church...just because someone doesnt like something that "respected forum veterans" do like does not make you gods ,your people with an interest in band for fecks sake ,lifes a bitch, Zep did a turkey so get over it and if Im banned from this place for not liking something......so what .I still wont like the feckin song :redcard:

Then perhaps you'd care to enlighten us over why you think "D'yer Mak'er" is such a 'shite' song, then, instead of just stating it's a 'shite' song and a 'mistake'. Surely you must have actual, objective reasons, right? Otherwise you just come across as an asshole barging in and pissing all over the discussion...Catherine asked a reasonable question, which most of us tried to answer, except for yerself and the one guy who gave yer threadcrap post a "+1" reply. Not saying yer opinion is worthless or anything, but back it up with something. A word to the wise, since yer new here: a little tact and diplomacy goes a long way on this forum...yer not exactly off to a flying start here, not when respected forum veterans like myself, Melcore and Sue are calling you out after eight posts ;)

It is only my opinion and I dont feel bad ,if I think a songs bad then TO ME a song is bad.and its bad :dont:

I was mostly joking. You're still wrong, though. :P

RE: "Hot Dog": I didn't "understand" that song (nor really that entire album) until very recently. At the risk of sounding like a ponce...it takes a certain mindset in order to fully appreciate it.

Yeah I have two for Tuesday on my station. On rare occasions Kashmir appears on the radio. Oh, and Immigrant Song.

Live songs as in official, right? (Off topic, I know. :P)

Yes, live songs are official, but you never regularly hear them. The Sound played Achilles, Kashmir, and Carouselambra all in a row a few weeks ago.

My reasons are... I just dont like it ,its not Zep.As i said IMO,if it make me an asshole for not liking it then an asshole I am ,im not stupid enough to believe that everything zep ever done is the greatest thing to mankind But I dont like it and I skip it on the CD, I even skipped it when I had the vinyl.Tact ..diplomacy ..what the feck is this place ..church...just because someone doesnt like something that "respected forum veterans" do like does not make you gods ,your people with an interest in band for fecks sake ,lifes a bitch, Zep did a turkey so get over it and if Im banned from this place for not liking something......so what .I still wont like the feckin song :redcard:

And IMO Nutrocker you aint earned my respect yet.Melcore and sue I apolgies for my inane comments on the song and its merits(!)but at least you didnt rag on me as nutrocker deemed fit to do.

Blah blah blah blah blah :rolleyes: ...go fuck yerself, buddy :lol:...it's painfully obvious that you have absolutely NOTHING positive to contribute to this discussion, or this forum, for that matter. I don't give a fuck if you did see the band at Earls Court or whatever other Zeppelin experiences you claim to have had. I don't give a fuck if you have been a long time lurker; you act like a newbie and you post like a goddamn newbie. I'm not here to be respected, asshole, I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make positive contributions to the Zeppelin community, by sharing recordings, passing along knowledge and maybe -just maybe- being able to come across shows I've been searching for for years. It's self righteous, obnoxious pricks like you that make me wonder why the fuck I have anything to do with this community at all, and it's also tossers like you that give the Zeppelin community such a bad reputation. So I repeat: go fuck yerself, newbie. Find another fuckin' forum to troll in.

Led Zeppelin didn't play DM live because Bonham hated playing reggae and Jones found it repetitive and boring. It also was probably left out of sets because they believed there was better music to play. For HD, I consider it a different scenario altogether:

1. It catered to their rockabilly roots. Even if it's almost a self parody in some ways, it was a new song.

2. Jones could play keys on it.

3. Robert likely favored singing a song ala Elvis and considering this was 1979-80, his enthusiasm for it trumped all.

So we can probably conclude that Led Zeppelin played Hot Dog because they wanted to play it and didn't play D'yer Mak'er because they didn't want to play it.

Got it kids? :bubble: