Why didn't they play D'yer Mak'er Live?

"The Crunge" was played in one form or another on the 1972, '73, and '75 tours. It popped up instrumentally in "Dazed and Confused" in '72 and for a nearly complete take with vocals, check out March 12, 1975 Long Beach. "The Crunge" was frequently used as the bridge between "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Dog" on the last leg of the 1975 tour.

I know.. I was in a hurry this morning.. I don't think they ever played it start to finish in concert.

So yeah they touched on every track that made it onto Houses live except DM..

Edited by the chase

Generally I think you had a shift in the band's focus live in the latter years away from long extended tracks and towards a greater variety of material. In previous years the acoustic set would have offered more of a shift if pace but in the late 70's it wouldn't exactly have been fashionable.

As for the track itself I can't say D'yer Mak'er is one of my favourites but still I think its not nearly as bad as a heavy rock group playing reggae could have been. The Crunge has always been the more disappointing track for me because it had potential to be so much more had it retained its live rawness.

If Led Zeppelin were the type of group to spontaneously change their set list from time to time, I can see them doing DM. But they generally weren't that type of band. They preferred sticking with an established set list and going in different directions with those particular songs.

Zep and reggae?

Me again,I read in Susan Fasts book that they attempted a reggae version of Stairway................that too would have been awful to hear(IMO).Its not that I dont like reggae music ,I do but to hear Zep do it IMO is wrong! Discuss. :bubble:

• 9 months later...

I am not a big fan of DM either, but I would not call it shit. The music and arrangement of the song I really love, but Plant's lyrics are just inane and that Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh part makes me want to bury my head in a fat ladies ass. Now that is just my opinion. I think if the lyrics were a bit different and Robert sang it differently it would have been great. Than again, the song was supposed to be a parody of sorts and thus in that vein it succeeds, either way, I can only listed to Weird Al once in a blue moon. If I heard Weird Al on the radio all the time I would shoot myself.

So, to the new guy, it's ok to say you don't like a particular song, but it is uncool to downright call it shit since that statement is absolute rather than subjective.

OK, so for this newbie's first post I'll try not to be so insulting, but yeah I agree it's not a very good song. To me it's the thing that makes you go "what the hell were they thinking?" as mentioned above, the lyrics are crap. The singing itself is uninteresting, the performance is flat and lacklustre with the drums entirely too heavy handed. It seems to me not to be a band that likes reggae and wants to branch out into a new style, but rather one that hates reggae and is mocking it.

Hot Dog, on the orther hand seems more of a tongue-in-cheek tribute, a song that takes you by surprise at first (then again the whole ITTOD album did that for me. I thought I had gotten a mislabelled Alan Parsons album by mistake), but comes off as funny yet reverential. DM, in contrast, comes off as silly, but not in a good way, more because its so pathetic. It's like white guys in their 40s trying to rap. The song sits about at the same level as the appearance of Pink Floyd's San Tropez on an album: Worst. Decision. Ever.

(all that being said I think Carouselambra is a far worse song than DM. No band should have ever recorded that song, be it Zeppelin or The Buggles. Itr just should have never been heard by anyone anywhere ever)

Now all of you out there talking about what songs the radio staions near you play...You're lucky. I live near Buffalo and we have 97 Rock. It is my belief that this station owns about 20 CDs, 3 of them Pink Floyd, Boston's first two albums, greatest hits albums by Steve Miller, John Cougar, Journey and Kansas and all the Zeppelin albums. There is not one song that doesn't get regular airplay. The reason I say you're lucky is because of the long term consequences of this. I grew up in the 80s. I was 13 in 1982 and that's about when I began paying attention to radio and the music outside my house (inside was only Neil Diamond and Elvis). I made a few tapes off 97 Rock and I swear to you the playlist on those tapes is exactly the same as what you'll hear if you put the station on now. They have not altered their content one bit in 30 years. In fact they play less than they did back then. I remember new songs by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest back in 83. Nowhere will you hear them now.

The end result of this is that studio Zeppelin is now dead to me. Every song they ever did is so played out that it is likely that I will never again for the rest of my life intentionally put on a LZ album. So a hearty F U to 97 Rock, and especially Cindy Chan, the all Zeppelin and Zappa DJ who is pretty much single handedly responsible for ruining Zeppelin for me for life.

And finally: Thank you all you clandestine tapers who took the chance at a Peter Grant beatdown in order to preserve LZ's live history for all of us a bit too young to have been there. It's you and your tapes that keep Zeppelin alive

Edited by }{eywood

(all that being said I think Carouselambra is a far worse song than DM. No band should have ever recorded that song, be it Zeppelin or The Buggles. Itr just should have never been heard by anyone anywhere ever)

I agree. Just a warning, don't let juxtiphi and The Dark Lord hear you say that. :lol:;)

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21184-ittod-why-is-this-the-most-disliked-album-of-led-zeppelin/page-5

^ Carouselambra might suffer from a bad mix (too much synthesizer and the inability to understand what Plant is singing) but the middle part with the descending guitar riff (4:06) is some of the best stuff they ever did precisely because it sounds nothing like Led Zeppelin.

As for D'yer Mak'er, Bonham hated playing reggae and I'm sure his sentiments detracted the others from suggesting they do it live. And mind you, that's suggesting the others even wanted to play it themselves.

Edited by zeppy668

Probably THE best Communication Breakdown solo, Jimmy is just on fire and the reggae section is probably in my top 5 Zep moments

Not really reggae, apart from Roberts ad-libs. That riff is 'It's Your Thing' by the Isley Brothers.

Later adapted by Jimmy for 'Jam Sandwich' from the Death Wish 2 soundtrack.

• 3 years later...
On 7/24/2013 at 8:35 AM, Walter said:

Apparently, based on some quotes, JPJ and Bonzo weren't that fond of the song. 

On 6/9/2014 at 8:38 PM, zeppy668 said:

As for D'yer Mak'er, Bonham hated playing reggae and I'm sure his sentiments detracted the others from suggesting they do it live. And mind you, that's suggesting the others even wanted to play it themselves.

Any recollection as to where these comments were made?

I Ior one love the song. Don't get all the hate...it's just a fun song, not a prelude to Kashmir.

Edited by paplbojo

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2013 at 6:35 PM, Nutrocker said:

Yeah...if that's the kinda shite posts the 6 and 53 post newbies plan on bringing to the table here -even 'petty opinions' is giving them way too much credit, Sue- I don't think they'll stick around too long ;) Thanx for playing, though, folks!

I do believe Robert throws in an "Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, you don't have to go-oh" tease at one of the L.A. '77 shows (23-6-77 if I'm not mistaken)

Ironic that a song the band despised so much not only made it onto the album (in place of, say, "The Rover") but became a Classic Rock Radio Mainstay...I mean, "D'yer Mak'er" is one of the five or six Zeppelin songs played relentlessly on the radio these days, at least round these parts :lol:

And, as mentioned, if they could play "Hot Dog" live...

Correct! I think it's after a short That's Alright Mama bit.  Might be 26-6-77, but still the LA shows.

• 10 months later...