Redditch to erect a statue of John Bonham in his honour

Joe Bloggs

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

CYMBALS flying, his drum sticks a blur, John Bonham, hailed as the greatest rock drummer there has ever been, has been re-born in Mercian Square, Redditch.

john-bonham-578x434.jpg

At midnight on Wednesday night, Thursday morning, on the dawn of his 70th birthday, a two and a half tonne cast bronze tribute to the Led Zeppelin drummer was placed in the heart of his home town.

The work of sculptor Mark Richards the piece, set on a plinth inspired by the band’s album Houses of the Holy, shows Bonham in full flow, hair a swirl as he beats out the rhythms which made the band famous.

Ros Sidaway, owner of Birchfield Road record shop Vintage Trax who has been at the heart of efforts to get a tribute to John Bonham in Redditch, said: “It’s hard to believe that it’s finally here.

“It was dropped in place at midnight, just at the start of John’s birthday. It was under floodlights but in the natural light of day you can see how beautiful it is.”

The sculpture is the result of years of fund raising, the work of a small band of dedicated fans here in Redditch, and the support of John Bonham’s family, without whom it would never have been possible.

Led Zeppelin sold more than 300 million albums worldwide and such is the appeal of the band that Redditch is likely to become a place of pilgrimage for fans around the globe.

tribute-771x344.jpg

-----------------------------

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/cymbals-flying-bronze-tribute-to-led-zep-drummer-john-bonham-is-put-in-place/

Wonderful.

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

CYMBALS flying, his drum sticks a blur, John Bonham, hailed as the greatest rock drummer there has ever been, has been re-born in Mercian Square, Redditch.

john-bonham-578x434.jpg

tribute-771x344.jpg

Very impressive. Congrats to all involved.

18 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

john-bonham-578x434.jpg

At midnight on Wednesday night, Thursday morning, on the dawn of his 70th birthday, a two and a half tonne cast bronze tribute to the Led Zeppelin drummer was placed in the heart of his home town.

The work of sculptor Mark Richards the piece, set on a plinth inspired by the band’s album Houses of the Holy, shows Bonham in full flow, hair a swirl as he beats out the rhythms which made the band famous.

Ros Sidaway, owner of Birchfield Road record shop Vintage Trax who has been at the heart of efforts to get a tribute to John Bonham in Redditch, said: “It’s hard to believe that it’s finally here.

“It was dropped in place at midnight, just at the start of John’s birthday. It was under floodlights but in the natural light of day you can see how beautiful it is.”

The sculpture is the result of years of fund raising, the work of a small band of dedicated fans here in Redditch, and the support of John Bonham’s family, without whom it would never have been possible.

Led Zeppelin sold more than 300 million albums worldwide and such is the appeal of the band that Redditch is likely to become a place of pilgrimage for fans around the globe.

tribute-771x344.jpg

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/cymbals-flying-bronze-tribute-to-led-zep-drummer-john-bonham-is-put-in-place/

bbc-photo.jpg

Wonderful!

I would try to go to it,kiss the cast bronze stone at the foot of his Timpani drum and marvel at all of it's beauty.Then very likely shed a tear. 

10 hours ago, Strider said:

I feel a little pride in the fact that the statue was based on a photo of Bonham from one of the 1977 Forum gigs I saw.

155-8x10.thumb.jpg.14605745966b35c90d777c6d89912b6f.jpg

That photo is from the 1973 tour.

6 hours ago, Mook said:

That photo is from the 1973 tour.

Ahhh, so it is. It looked like he was playing his steel kit but then today I saw a wider angle photo which showed the Vistalites more clearly.

The photosite I grabbed it from had it labelled 1977 LA Forum. It is definitely a James Fortune photo, so it's still a photo from a Forum show I was at, so the feeling remains the same. 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Ahhh, so it is. It looked like he was playing his steel kit but then today I saw a wider angle photo which showed the Vistalites more clearly.

The photosite I grabbed it from had it labelled 1977 LA Forum. It is definitely a James Fortune photo, so it's still a photo from a Forum show I was at, so the feeling remains the same. 

That is so amazing, I remember reading your accounts of the the shows you saw. Such vivid detail. This photo may be from the 25th Bday show. Can't remember if he's wearing that colored sleeveless t-shirt on that night. You were there May 31 and June 3? 

2 hours ago, tls said:

What is this?

C5C25669-1D22-4C64-B2E3-12B937040CBF.png

It's not a statue, that's for sure. What do you think it is? 

It's the Official Illustrated book that everyone has been talking about for months. It even has its own thread on this page if you took the time to look.

2 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

That is so amazing, I remember reading your accounts of the the shows you saw. Such vivid detail. This photo may be from the 25th Bday show. Can't remember if he's wearing that colored sleeveless t-shirt on that night. You were there May 31 and June 3? 

Yep. Crazy weekend. May 31 at the Forum. Kezar June 2. And the June 3 Forum makeup date for the postponed May 30 show.

Archived