Jimmy's food poisoning Chicago 1977

joeboy

I gota hand it to Jimmy. He was racked with pain during "Ten years Gone" but still gave a half decent performance. The group at the time said it was a bad batch of ribs from the restaurant.

I've read that he subsisted on banana daquiris and ratatouille during the 1977 tour.

A diet of banana dacquiris (some sources claim french fries as well), heroin, cocaine and Marlboros isn't exactly conducive to good sustained health :lol: Jimmy Page in 1977 was "Junkie Chic" before it became fashionable...some nights it looked like the fuckin' Gibson doubleneck weighed more than Page did.

I have never subscribed to the 'gastroentritis' story regarding the 9 April show...even eyewitness accounts make it pretty clear that Jimmy was well fucked up on the night...his going into the SIBLY intro directly after "Sick Again" (a faux pas which Robert Plant tries to laugh off calling it "A blues night!") shows Page's disorientation. Normally he smoked like a chimney onstage in '77; that night he left the ciggies alone. My theory has always been that Page did a line too much of something while Plant was berating the crowd about lighting firecrackers after "No Quarter" and whatever Page ingested took hold during "Ten Years Gone".

He bounced back nicely for the next night, though.

From the pictures of that night shown in Neal Preston's book Sound & Fury I would conclude he was "dusted," that is to say, Angel Dust. Some asshole probably mixed it with the coke.

The real irony is though until the sickness kicked in during Ten Years Gone, apart from the Sick Again segue he played amazingly brilliant, almost possessed according to a friend of mine that attended this show.

i thought he was on a liquid diet and "was hoping to be able to photosynthesize like a plant" in '77? Or am I remembering a quote from an unreliable source (aka. half the Zep books written)???

Jimmy did state he was "off solids" and attempting to "photosynthesize like a plant". I'll add he was keeping a blender in his hotel rooms. However, this seemed to have held true only for the first leg of that tour (Mar & Apr 1977).

I'll add he was keeping a blender in his hotel rooms. However, this seemed to have held true only for the first leg of that tour (Mar & Apr 1977).

And admitted it proudly in interviews. "I'll never turn down alcohol, so a banana dacquiri is perfect for me" :lol: :lol:

Steve, was it you who stated that Jimmy took the Good Doctor Badgely to Egypt with him between the first and second legs, ostensibly to assist Page with detoxing, etc?

And admitted it proudly in interviews. "I'll never turn down alcohol, so a banana dacquiri is perfect for me" :lol: :lol:

Steve, was it you who stated that Jimmy took the Good Doctor Badgely to Egypt with him between the first and second legs, ostensibly to assist Page with detoxing, etc?

I've discussed Jimmy's trip to Cairo in May '77 many time but never suggested Larry Badgely went along (someone else floated that theory). Jimmy said he was compelled to visit Egypt (in 1977) after seeing footage of a Zeppelin over the pyramids on television while on tour. As far as who else went along, according to Richard Cole Jimmy was only accompanied on that trip by Mick Hinton.

I listened to a radio station today, uh, you know we had to finish off, go half-way through the concert last night, Jimmy was totally ill. A man in this radio station, who I'll call, The Loop. Yeah? This radio ... for a long time, insinuating that Mr. Page had been drinking a greek, alcoholic substance all day. And it's fair to say that Mr. Page neither smokes, drinks, takes women or does anything like that, so we'd like an apology from The Loop tomorrow, and another crate, and another crate of the same alcohol, please. -Robert Plant, April 10, 1977, after Ten Years Gone

Cut Jimmy some slack. A lot of people here think he was a walking zombie totally spaced out due to his quack physician like Hitler's Dr. Morell. People get sick on tour due to groupies etc..

Edited by joeboy

Cut Jimmy some slack. A lot of people here think he was a walking zombie totally spaced out due to his quack physician like Hitler's Dr. Morell. People get sick on tour due to groupies etc..

That's it, you have solved the mystery!!! He had a spoiled groupie! You consume one of those past the expiration date and you will WISH you had a bad piece of pork! That is what I call a BAD clam!!!

That's it, you have solved the mystery!!! He had a spoiled groupie! You consume one of those past the expiration date and you will WISH you had a bad piece of pork! That is what I call a BAD clam!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: What, did it taste like chicken instead of fish or something?

I've discussed Jimmy's trip to Cairo in May '77 many time but never suggested Larry Badgely went along (someone else floated that theory). Jimmy said he was compelled to visit Egypt (in 1977) after seeing footage of a Zeppelin over the pyramids on television while on tour. As far as who else went along, according to Richard Cole Jimmy was only accompanied on that trip by Mick Hinton.

Yeah, I vaguely remember those discussions...and yer right Steve, it was somebody else who claimed Badgely accompanied Page to Egypt. Didn't they sack Dr Badgely before the end of the first leg of the tour? Somewhere around the Cleveland dates I reckon, which would explain the Badgely references at the 27 April Destroyer show...

^^^

I don't imagine his doctor's opinion ever came into play when it came to wearing the Stormtrooper outfit. The fact that it was Easter Sunday might have had more to do with it...

At least two forum members attended the 10 April show, and general consensus amongst the audience towards Page's attire was "Whoa..." :lol: One way or another Jimmy was definitely making some kind of statement wearing that getup.

No the good DR.BADGE was back with them during the 21-27th Forum shows 2nd Leg!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: What, did it taste like chicken instead of fish or something?

Yeah, I vaguely remember those discussions...and yer right Steve, it was somebody else who claimed Badgely accompanied Page to Egypt. Didn't they sack Dr Badgely before the end of the first leg of the tour? Somewhere around the Cleveland dates I reckon, which would explain the Badgely references at the 27 April Destroyer show...

^^^

I don't imagine his doctor's opinion ever came into play when it came to wearing the Stormtrooper outfit. The fact that it was Easter Sunday might have had more to do with it...

At least two forum members attended the 10 April show, and general consensus amongst the audience towards Page's attire was "Whoa..." :lol: One way or another Jimmy was definitely making some kind of statement wearing that getup.

Has anyone ever asked him about it during an interview?

I kinda thought folks knew that the fermented cabbage consumed prior, led to the stellar performance and attire of the 10th.

Kimchee will turn one into a Nazi every time...an ass Nazi that is. The super hot variety is quite unpleasant, um, post-digestion.

Edited by Sagittarius Rising

I just don't get this Doctor badgely fellow. I've read that someone raided the medical supplies one night causing the doctor to fly into a rage. Just what was in this bag worth finding?

Edited by joeboy