2 American Youth Kill 88 Year Old World War 2 Veteran

Charles J. White

A little six month old, beautiful baby girl, was shot yesterday while in her babysitter's lap. The baby died but the babysitter survived. The shot came from a random shooting out on the street. People here in New Orleans feel as though they are under siege. I guess it's the same in all big cities.

A little six month old, beautiful baby girl, was shot yesterday while in her babysitter's lap. The baby died but the babysitter survived. The shot came from a random shooting out on the street. People here in New Orleans feel as though they are under siege. I guess it's the same in all big cities.

I'm not so sure. My nephew has lived in New York City for 12 years. He has never been mugged. His apartment has never been burglarized. He has never witnessed a shooting. He currently lives in Harlem, before that he lived in the Brooklyn. He doesn't own a car so he relies on public transportation to get back and forth. His job requires that he often work evenings so he is frequently outside after dark. He exercises the normal, commonsense precautions people should in urban areas. He hasn't complained about feeling threatened because of crime.

I'm sorry things are so difficult for New Orleans' residents. Do you think crime got worse there after Hurricane Katrina?

New York has fared better than most other cities - Chicago, LA, Miami, Houston and on and on. I would like to blame the crime on Katrina related issues, but I can't. The crime was bad here before Katrina and has remained that way. However, not as many little children were getting killed. I don't know what has caused that. That little baby girl was so beautiful. Not long ago, a teenaged boy stabbed a little six year old girl to death and threw her in a dumptster. She was only six years old.

Archived