Robert Plant Performing Live in 2014

SteveAJones

So i went to see the Berlin Concert yesterday and i'm still puzzled a bit: while this was overall a very nice open air gig, i was suprised by at least two LZ song choices.

1st - as an intro we got No Quarter. myself being not too familiar with the actual touring setlist, that astounded me a bit, not to mention to start a night off with such a slow, moody tune. but 2nd - the bigger surprise - and better in performance was the 2nd encore tune: COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN !

i only once heard a live vocal interpretation of CB that seemed to match the banshee screaming studio version and that was when Diamanada Galas met JPJ onstage in the mid 90s. I've never heard Robert approach this tune post LZ (please do correct me here). But this version, altho a touch slower and a bit more angular than the original had him hit a VERY high note before the end that i think even surprised him (plantation: " hmm, this seems to be getting better - so stick around for another 200 years!;)". and tho the song might have been tuned down to a step or so, it was really fuckin great !!

now i wish at least one of those guys with all their phones-cams that these days hide much of the sights at live gigs would load up a decent clip of that onto YT !

So i went to see the Berlin Concert yesterday and i'm still puzzled a bit: while this was overall a very nice open air gig, i was suprised by at least two LZ song choices.

1st - as an intro we got No Quarter. myself being not too familiar with the actual touring setlist, that astounded me a bit, not to mention to start a night off with such a slow, moody tune. but 2nd - the bigger surprise - and better in performance was the 2nd encore tune: COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN !

i only once heard a live vocal interpretation of CB that seemed to match the banshee screaming studio version and that was when Diamanada Galas met JPJ onstage in the mid 90s. I've never heard Robert approach this tune post LZ (please do correct me here). But this version, altho a touch slower and a bit more angular than the original had him hit a VERY high note before the end that i think even surprised him (plantation: " hmm, this seems to be getting better - so stick around for another 200 years!;)". and tho the song might have been tuned down to a step or so, it was really fuckin great !!

now i wish at least one of those guys with all their phones-cams that these days hide much of the sights at live gigs would load up a decent clip of that onto YT !

Yeah noticed he's been doing no quarter.....personally I think that's one that should be left alone if only because like stairway with jimmy, that song belongs with jpj no if ands or buts about it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/anon_24/robert-plant-communication-breakdown-live-at-piazzola-sul-brenta-2014

That link is courtesy of the led Zeppelin news twitter handle and to me is for once a good reinterpretation of the zeppelin. Normally, I hate how robert can bastardize zep songs, but they twist the riff in a cool way and for once Judeh or whatever his name is is used in a good way, where his solo is short instead of multiple minutes of African fiddle.

The only sad part in hearing it is that it confirms that robert could handle communication breakdown which I would have loved to see them do back in 2007. Also come on robert if you're going to do a song like cm, just do it with zeppelin as a whole!

Yeah noticed he's been doing no quarter.....personally I think that's one that should be left alone if only because like stairway with jimmy, that song belongs with jpj no if ands or buts about it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/anon_24/robert-plant-communication-breakdown-live-at-piazzola-sul-brenta-2014

That link is courtesy of the led Zeppelin news twitter handle and to me is for once a good reinterpretation of the zeppelin. Normally, I hate how robert can bastardize zep songs, but they twist the riff in a cool way and for once Judeh or whatever his name is is used in a good way, where his solo is short instead of multiple minutes of African fiddle.

The only sad part in hearing it is that it confirms that robert could handle communication breakdown which I would have loved to see them do back in 2007. Also come on robert if you're going to do a song like cm, just do it with zeppelin as a whole!

NQ without JPJ!!!!! Sounds like blasphemy lol... and i would also love to hear todays RP doing CB... please let someone have some footage (fingers crossed)

ugggghhhh another new song. It's got cool bits to it, but like all their new songs it just feels like it doesn't go anywhere. Feels very static and like it builds to nothing, which is very bothersome especially with how RP always talks about progressing and growth. This isn't progressing or changing or anything, this is just sort of one riff repeated for 5 mins and not a great one at that. just doesn't do it for me, none of his new stuff has.

thanx Kenticus for that recent CB recording, but i think it had more of a kool stop - go guitar riff at the Berlin Zitadelle.

here's the opening of the Berlin show, NQ : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kH95xBbKMM&list=UUkHI8w7Tk1ZgooRoLMzpR4A&index=4

doesnt sound to me like someone was trying to steal JPJ's thunder by soloing on keys. instead, a rather short impressionistic guitar solo by Mr. Tyson.

and what a timbre this singer has :) and three days on, i'm still looking for some footage of that formidable CB rendition..

First cb what next he breaks out immigrant song? Thought he was beyond heavy metal.....all I'll say is cb is very very close to the heavy metal type song he's complained about not wanting to do for ages.

Kudos to him for being out there and having fun, but when you do a song like cb, I mean that's rocking out led zep, do it with the real band!

I get it. You're pissed. You hate the new stuff, you hate that he does old stuff. You want the real Led Zep (or as close as it can get minus one member). Face it it's not going to happen, don't let it bother you so much.

Personally, I like the new stuff. I'm glad that RP is doing what he wants and that JPJ is doing what he wants, and even that JP is busy reliving/re-mastering the Zep catalog. I hope someday JP writes a new song, or even performs an old song, but I'm not holding my breath.

I get it. You're pissed. You hate the new stuff, you hate that he does old stuff. You want the real Led Zep (or as close as it can get minus one member). Face it it's not going to happen, don't let it bother you so much.

Personally, I like the new stuff. I'm glad that RP is doing what he wants and that JPJ is doing what he wants, and even that JP is busy reliving/re-mastering the Zep catalog. I hope someday JP writes a new song, or even performs an old song, but I'm not holding my breath.

it's not that i'm pissed. I didn't mind band of joy because he wasn't doing a watered down version of zeppelin there quite as much. He played a ton of his band of joy record and yes played zeppelin, but it was rearranged zeppelin and if you're gonna strike out on your own that's the way to do it.

with space shifters, in two years of touring, he's played like 3 songs of his new record, mostly leaned on zeppelin material and in a lot of cases played versions of songs that were quite close to the originals, all while making a big show in interviews about how he was interested in exploring new sounds and stuff like that, implying that doing things in the zeppelin mode would be repetitive. Still, what is and what should never be, ramble on, babe im gunna leave you, going to california, whole lotta love, etc. all get played very close to their original style wiht little varation. Now you have CB, a quintessential "heavy metal" zeppelin song getting out there. My only issue with what he does is he talks zeppelin down and then plays it every single day to populate a lot of his show. Play your new material that you're so confident in and if you're gunna do a zeppelin set, do it with the band is my perspective. That or don't play down the zeppelin mythos while playing zeppelin songs.

in summary, no problem with his past touring solo, but PLAY YOUR SOLO SONGS a lot more if you're gunna brush off zeppelin whenever someone asks you about it.

If you surround yourself with hired musicians and yes men they are going to keep telling you

"This is really cool and cutting edge Bob" as they want employment.Emperors new clothes methinks.

ugggghhhh another new song. It's got cool bits to it, but like all their new songs it just feels like it doesn't go anywhere. Feels very static and like it builds to nothing, which is very bothersome especially with how RP always talks about progressing and growth. This isn't progressing or changing or anything, this is just sort of one riff repeated for 5 mins and not a great one at that. just doesn't do it for me, none of his new stuff has.

Finally heard the SSS doing Communication Breakdown and really wasn't impressed... it just seems like every Zep song they rework is defanged... i know Robert wants to get away from heavy rock but don't water down Zep tunes... stick to reworking folk and blues tunes... and this isn't to say that i don't like some of what the SSS are doing just leave Zep songs alone

^^I know music is a personal taste...but Jimmy with Puff Daddy has to be the worst remake/rework of a Zep tune (Kashmir) IMHO. Love Jimmy, but that was not appealing to me at all :peace:

ROBERT PLANT | colours of ostrava | 19.7.2014 | part 1

ROBERT PLANT | colours of ostrava | 19.7.2014 | part 2

NQ without JPJ!!!!! Sounds like blasphemy lol... and i would also love to hear todays RP doing CB... please let someone have some footage (fingers crossed)

The only one german LZ Fan Club "Friends of Zep" filmed the Cologne and Berlin concert in full length. (special Thanks to Roberto & Berni)

It takes some time until the entire project is finished! You have to wait a little bit longer. ;)

The only one german LZ Fan Club "Friends of Zep" filmed the Cologne and Berlin concert in full length. (special Thanks to Roberto & Berni)

It takes some time until the entire project is finished! You have to wait a little bit longer. ;)

I'm always amazed by the loyalty and enthusiasm of his German fans.

Did you like some of his earlier solo albums like Manic Nirvana or Fate of Nations?

Did you like some of his earlier solo albums like Manic Nirvana or Fate of Nations?

not really, not at all. I mean i've given a listen to his solo stuff, it just generally doesn't do anything for me, but everytime something new comes out i do give it a spin. In this case it's more that he's hyped it up as this creative undertaking, this different kind of music and all we've heard have basically been songs with a single guitar riff running through, some light percussion and then occasionally that african violin spiked in, hardly the "out there" thing that he's said it is. Good on him for trying something new, my personal wish is that he'd stick with this new stuff and stuff from his actual solo career instead of leaning on zeppelin, because as i've stated before zeppelin just doesn't make sense to me when it's not the original members. he's at a loss either way, people like me dislike when he twists and turns zeppelin songs til their unnoticable, but also dislike when he plays em straight because we feel if you do that you might as well get the band back together. I understand the predicament, but to me just play your solo stuff and maybe throw in a zeppelin song or two.

• 3 weeks later...

Robert Plant has announced that he will embark on a North American tour with the Sensational Space Shifters this fall. The concerts will be in support of his upcoming album, ‘lullaby and…The Ceaseless Roar,’ which will arrive Sept. 9.

So far, the former Led Zeppelin frontman will only play seven shows, with three alone in the New York area, including two nights at the Brooklyn Academy of Music as part of the 50th anniversary celebration of his label, Nonesuch. The other cities are Toronto, Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles, and the dates can be found below. It was not specified in the press release that other concerts will be added in the future.

Tickets for Plant’s tour will go on pre-sale beginning Aug. 15. Citi card members will have access to an even earlier pre-sale on Aug. 12. For complete information, visit Plant’s website or Citi’s Private Pass website.

According to Plant, ‘lullaby and…The Ceaseless Roar’ is “really a celebratory record, powerful, gritty, African, Trance meets Zep” and that, with the Sensational Space Shifters, he’s now “able to express my feelings through melody, power and trance; together in a kaleidoscope of sound, color, and friendship.” A video for the song ‘Rainbow’ — which you can see above — was released earlier today.

Robert Plant 2014 North American Tour Dates

9/25 — Port Chester, NY

9/27 — Brooklyn, NY

9/28 — Brooklyn, NY

9/30 — Toronto, ONT

10/2 — Chicago, IL

10/4 — Denver, CO

10/7 — Los Angeles, CA

Archived