Robert Plant Performing Live in 2014

SteveAJones

Just coming out of the Hollywood Palladium show...very good, if a bit shorter than I had hoped, show. Robert was in fine voice...even better than last year I think. Didn't take many photos...but here's the setlist. No Quarter to open the show!

post-1470-0-30761200-1412748841_thumb.jp

No John Paul Jones guest appearance at Plant's show last night. It's entirely possible that neither Plant nor Jones knew the other was playing a gig in town.

There was a special guest last night...Tom Morello dropped in during opening band The Last Internationale's set, adding his guitar pyrotechnics.

post-1470-0-01604000-1412778764_thumb.jp

I would like to thank my dear friend Strider! I received a call around 1AM and this is what I heard!! I was hearing this live from LA via Strider's cell and I loved it. :notworthy:

STRIDER all I can say is .... :you_rock::you_rock:

Gotta love the friendships here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

I'm trying to get tickets to this - after that performance last week, I can't resist. And Questlove, too? Full-on party!

At 3:01 - not a single ticket available.

Anon, did you get a chance to see the show? Hopefully yes, but if not, then may you catch them if/when they pass your way again. Fingers crossed.

Pretty wicked the way he sang "cold".

They opened the Toronto show with it, too. SO good. Loved the reworked version of the riff. It's recognizable but also so well suited to and reflective of THIS band. Robert's been doing some interesting things the last couple of albums, but it really feels like he is where he belongs with the SSS. It feels like a better, freer fit for him to be more expressive in terms of musical ideas, new songs and lyrics (so great he's writing his own material again, and the writing is very good: beautiful imagery; elusive, evocative, substantive and has the authority of truth in it). You can hear it in the album, but you truly get a sense of it when experiencing them live.

I would like to thank my dear friend Strider! I received a call around 1AM and this is what I heard!! I was hearing this live from LA via Strider's cell and I loved it. :notworthy:

STRIDER all I can say is .... :you_rock::you_rock:

Gotta love the friendships here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah, I thought I was the only one who did this for you! I'm sure you recall, a few songs from Robert's show at Prospect Park in Brooklyn last July 2013, which I shared with you! I think you have some good friends here! :thumbsup: Well done on this front Strider!!! :bravo:

Just coming out of the Hollywood Palladium show...very good, if a bit shorter than I had hoped, show. Robert was in fine voice...even better than last year I think. Didn't take many photos...but here's the setlist. No Quarter to open the show!

attachicon.gifIMG_20141007_225437.jpg

Sounds like a great night, gld you were able to attend, Strider! I'm a bit surprised that A Stolen Kiss isn't on the setlist for this tour. Curious what No Quarter was like...true to LZ or did it have a Plant-SSS twist?

They opened the Toronto show with it, too. SO good. Loved the reworked version of the riff. It's recognizable but also so well suited to and reflective of THIS band. Robert's been doing some interesting things the last couple of albums, but it really feels like he is where he belongs with the SSS. It feels like a better, freer fit for him to be more expressive in terms of musical ideas, new songs and lyrics (so great he's writing his own material again, and the writing is very good: beautiful imagery; elusive, evocative, substantive and has the authority of truth in it). You can hear it in the album, but you truly get a sense of it when experiencing them live.

:thumbsup:

Anon, did you get a chance to see the show? Hopefully yes, but if not, then may you catch them if/when they pass your way again. Fingers crossed.

Sold out too fast! I'm so glad I had the chance to see him at BAM. The review in Rolling Stone perfectly captures who Robert is right now.

Don't wish to go off track or be controversial but I can't help but contrast this latest RP performance and the review of JPJ's performance in LA (by Strider, I think? So lovely) with the interview of Jimmy explaining the history of Stairway. I love them all but the difference in where they are right now is striking and made me a bit sad for the keeper of the flame. Not to suggest his contributions to music history have been anything but awesome. Still, something haunting about that video.

Robert Plant Reinvents Led Zeppelin Classics at Tiny Brooklyn Gig Sensational Space Shifters break out career-spanning set of reinterpreted old hits and bold, new cosmic folk

720x405-20141010_plant2_x1401.jpg

BY KORY GROW |

October 10, 2014

Nothing says more about Robert Plant's current attitude about his career than his decision to play a bowling alley in Brooklyn. At midnight. On a Thursday. The former Led Zeppelin singer – who has done much to separate his solo career from his past life recently – told the audience that late last month he had enjoyed a burlesque show at the 850-person-capacity venue ("I have to tell you, we'd be better at it") and scheduled this gig to take place immediately after his appearance on The Colbert Report. The show itself – which was announced earlier in the week and quickly sold out – was on his terms, and he appeared to love every second of it.

"Thanks for coming out tonight, it's very late, I know – a lot of people I know have been in bed for hours," he joked at one point. "And a lot of them are single."

At this point, Plant seems most comfortable outside of his comfort zone. Over the past decade, the singer has drifted between playing with the globally-minded Strange Sensation ensemble (which shares members with his current backing band, the Sensational Space Shifters), folk artist Alison Krauss and, for one night, Led Zep. His most recent record, Lullaby and...the Ceaseless Roar, is a journey through cosmic post-blues and world-influenced folk, and throughout the 80-minute bowling-alley concert, the Space Shifters pushed the boundaries of this music even further, reconfiguring Plant's old classics as psych-rock odysseys.

1035x582-20141010_plant_x1401.jpg
Photo: Nicole Fara Silver

When the lion-maned 66-year-old ascended the stage at 11 minutes past midnight (Questlove had opened with a DJ set), he did so with all the aplomb of a golden god half his age. He twirled his microphone stand over his head and snuck up behind guitarist Liam "Skin" Tyson, clapping along as the group worked through its spacey, Middle Eastern-influenced interpretation of Howlin' Wolf's "Spoonful." That charisma proved to be the catalyst for many of the set's most memorable moments – as when he led the band's all-drum intro for new song "Rainbow" and led the audience in syncopated clapping for another new song, "Little Maggie."

Plant also allowed his bandmates to shine, spotlighting Gambian riti player Juldeh Camara as he played the single-stringed, violin-like instrument before the group's soaring take on "Black Dog" and encouraging multi-instrumentalist Justin Adams to take center stage for a flashy, rockabilly-inspired dance for the group's cover of Bukka White's "Fixin' to Die." "I wonder what Bukka would think of that," Plant wondered.

Throughout the set, which included only four Lullaby tracks and one from the 2005 Strange Sensation album Mighty ReArranger, the singer made a running gag of referring to the songs he had played with Led Zeppelin as "folk songs," after explaining how a Leadbelly tune had inspired Lullaby's "Poor Howard." "If you don't call [that] a folk song, this surely must be headed towards being a folk song," he said before playing a mesmerizing, stripped-down version of "Going to California," accompanied only by acoustic guitar and mandolin. Similarly his daring takes on a simplified "Thank You" – which was almost drowned out by the sounds of women cheering – an electronics-infused "Black Dog," a banjo-infused "Nobody's Fault But Mine" (dedicated to Mavis Staples) and a mega-medley of "Whole Lotta Love" – sandwiched between covers of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love?" and Muddy Waters' "Hoochie Coochie Man" – sounded altogether rejuvenated.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/robert-plant-reconfigures-led-zeppelin-classics-at-brooklyn-gig-20141010#ixzz3FmhF9qwa

Sold out too fast! I'm so glad I had the chance to see him at BAM. The review in Rolling Stone perfectly captures who Robert is right now.

Don't wish to go off track or be controversial but I can't help but contrast this latest RP performance and the review of JPJ's performance in LA (by Strider, I think? So lovely) with the interview of Jimmy explaining the history of Stairway. I love them all but the difference in where they are right now is striking and made me a bit sad for the keeper of the flame. Not to suggest his contributions to music history have been anything but awesome. Still, something haunting about that video.

Anonymous, do you know the story about The Wheel of Ezekiel? It always comes to mind when I think of their respective responses to Zep disbanding. Nothing says more about who they are now than what they are doing musically. I think your observations are noticed/shared by many (though I've not seen the Stairway video yet). Some fires are meant to burn out, others are meant to light the way; tricky sometimes to know which is which. We see who's got it figured out.

• 4 weeks later...

ROBERT STOPS BY SUNDAY BRUNCH

screen_shot_2014-11-04_at_17.29.39__larg

Robert stopped by Sunday Brunch this past weekend in support of the upcoming UK tour, kicking off this weekend in Newport. His candid chat with the hosts included everything from his passion for The Wolves and playing footie with Sir Elton John and Rod Stewart. He even brought with him some specialty beer for his hosts from Beavertown Brewery.

On the Sensational Space Shifters he said: "We just keep playing and keep making good music," and mentioned he'd returned to England because of missing the music, the grit and the sarcasm.

Watch the entire interview here.

Robert and the Sensational Space Shifters hit the road across the UK the month of November. Nearly every date is sold out but tickets for Blackpool are still available here.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3854726410001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAyiIY-k~,nwbxG65xosUZWQPL5pCpo6SS_oVYgeqz&bctid=3874477822001

ROBERT STOPS BY SUNDAY BRUNCH

screen_shot_2014-11-04_at_17.29.39__larg

Robert stopped by Sunday Brunch this past weekend in support of the upcoming UK tour, kicking off this weekend in Newport. His candid chat with the hosts included everything from his passion for The Wolves and playing footie with Sir Elton John and Rod Stewart. He even brought with him some specialty beer for his hosts from Beavertown Brewery.

On the Sensational Space Shifters he said: "We just keep playing and keep making good music," and mentioned he'd returned to England because of missing the music, the grit and the sarcasm.

Watch the entire interview here.

Robert and the Sensational Space Shifters hit the road across the UK the month of November. Nearly every date is sold out but tickets for Blackpool are still available here.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3854726410001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAyiIY-k~,nwbxG65xosUZWQPL5pCpo6SS_oVYgeqz&bctid=3874477822001

Great video, thanks for posting! Robert looks a bit tired, but ever the good sport comes through with amiable wit and a funny story about Bonzo, the hat, and the toilet on The Starship. Hope those of you going to the UK leg of the tour have a blast. You're in for an amazing ride! Fingers crossed they do more albums and shows together. It's a brilliant fit and flexible vehicle for more expressive, creative music.

This is a good ? about US I hope he comes back if not I feel even luckier to see him in Brooklyn Sept 28 Amazing show...streaming was nice but did not do the impact justice like being there.....Ironically My favorite moment A Stolen Kiss from new cd...

A TBL review of the first UK show. Come ON, Newport audience, show some heart!

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters-opening-night-in-newport-review/

Looks like "All the Kings Horses" has made its way into the set list, which is brilliant because it's a beautiful song. Wonder if they'll add "Song To The Siren" should they make their way round here again... That would really be something.

In the meantime, I hope they have a great tour and some more appreciative audiences.

Fingers crossed, Deb! Cool video, thanks for posting. I like the slower grove of NFBM. Robert's in fine form. LOOOOOOVE the light beams and and blue hues. You could do a whole set design just with creativity and lights. Anybody know Josef Svoboda? Genius scenic designer. Sort of reminded me of him for a moment there...

"Oh fucking hell!" Bwahahahahahaha!!! Who can't relate to such moments! (I said it at least three times before noon at work just today lol). Maybe not in front of a sold out crowd, but them's the lumps ya take when you're the guy in front of the mic. Robert soldiered on, bless him hahaha! Crowd was good about it, too. Brings everybody together, that, doesn't it? Love those moments, too. Thanks for posting, Deb :). Cheers.

Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, Roundhouse - music review - London Evening Standard.

Plant goes his own way, acknowledging his past while refusing to be trapped by it.

Robert%20Plant-Sensational%20Space%20Shi

Published: 13 November 2014

Updated: 21:20, 14 November 2014

white_star.pngwhite_star.pngwhite_star.pngwhite_star.pngempty_star.png

Hours after Robert Plant described reports of a £500 million offer to re-form Led Zeppelin as “fabricated”, he played a venue he first graced 46 years ago last Sunday. “It feels like home,” he chuckled, faux sincerely. “If you believe that, you’ll believe anything”. As he has since the original Zeppelin stopped in 1980, Plant goes his own way, acknowledging his past while refusing to be trapped by it.

As if Plant’s three-decade solo career had never existed, he ignored it except for his current effort Lullaby and ... the Ceaseless Road, adding only twisted blues covers (Howlin’ Wolf’s Spoonful sounded ripe for a Michael Flatley interpretation) and the occasional dip into Zeppelin.

Plant’s voice may not be the breast-beater of yore but it’s more subtle, while the six tightly drilled Sensational Space Shifters featured Cast’s Liam Tyson in the Jimmy Page role, and brought new zip to Zeppelin’s Going to California and the still-priapic Whole Lotta Love.

With its almost Celtic bent and swathes of synthesised beats, Plant’s new music looked forwards and backwards simultaneously, especially on Rainbow and the Appalachian traditional, Little Maggie. At 66, Robert Plant is still pushing boundaries.

Archived