The best "Rain Song" live

joeboy

I personally think the Song Remains the Same version is the best. I'm sure there are good ones that aren't official releases, but I think that one is the best. There is another Rain Song version in the 1977 tour (can't remember what date) that is good too.

I personally think the Song Remains the Same version is the best. I'm sure there are good ones that aren't official releases, but I think that one is the best. There is another Rain Song version in the 1977 tour (can't remember what date) that is good too.

I have to agree: there are many good versions - this is a song that often was beautifully performed even in otherwise lackluster concerts - but for me The Song Remains the Same version is tops.

The Rain Song live is an unusual beast sound-wise: an electric track, but with an acoustic feel. And so for me, the sound quality is especially important: it needs to sound clear and clean (the "acoustic feel" aspect), but it also needs to sound professional and big (the "electric" aspect).

TSRTS version is gorgeous and really captures the feel of that song.

Earl's Court 5.24.75

Another good one!

Also, for those interested in a more truly acoustic version, check out the Feb 17 1996 Page & Plant performance from Nagoya, Japan. It's really fantastic - and it also will remind you how amazing the P&P shows were at their best.

The Rain Song wasn't played on the '77 tour.

I tend like the Rain Song when it was a stand alone song, away from TSRTS lead in. That leaves my choices as a version from 1979 or 1980. I'll go with Knebworth version, August 4, 1979. I like Zurich in 1980 as well.

Unfortunately, this song never had the benefit of Robert's vocal abilities when they were in their prime, but if I had to pick one that sounds good based solely on the instruments, I'd choose the one from 1975/02/13, as this is one of the few versions I've heard where the mellotron isn't too overbearing in the mix.

I guess it was all downhill after July 29th 1973 in New York. Booze, drugs, lack of concerts, age and the all business attitude trying to get the new "Swan Song" label going. Sad but inevitable.

"All downhill"? Not quite. Don't be so morbid. There's plenty of great shows after July 29, 1973.

As an ancillary question for the forum, do you like it when Robert sings "So I keep keeping on and keeping on" in the climax of the electric part (he did this often in 1975) or prefer it when he sang the usual "feels good...feels good now" right before the last "but I know that I love you so"?

"All downhill"? Not quite. Don't be so morbid. There's plenty of great shows after July 29, 1973.

As an ancillary question for the forum, do you like it when Robert sings "So I keep keeping on and keeping on" in the climax of the electric part (he did this often in 1975) or prefer it when he sang the usual "feels good...feels good now" right before the last "but I know that I love you so"?

Hmm, never thought about that...I think I'll go with the '75 "So I keep keeping on" actually, how about you, Strider?

I don't mean to get off topic, but while we're discussing Robert's ad libs, I like just about all of them, with the major exception of the "Does anybody remember laughter?" line. The one (I think) exception to this which comes to mind is the 6/22/77 Stairway in which he actually makes the forests echo with laughter (thankfully just the word as opposed to actually laughing--that could be disastrous). Again, sorry for the tangent.

I like drumming when it doesn't try to overpower the song. In TSRTS it was controlled playing espeacially with "The Rain Song". In 1977 I thought it was a bit overboard.

For the umpteenth time, "Rain Song" was not performed in 1977.

I know it wasn't played in 1977. All I'm saying is that the pace of some songs were too fast by 1977. In 1973 I believe it was a good in control speed of drumming. Also the organ should not drown out Jimmy's guitar like 1975 and later. The Rain Song shows this in New York 1973.

Truth be told, the P/P version from late 1994 was better than any of the live Zep versions.

Well, it definitely is the closest to the studio arrangement and sound from the "Houses of the Holy" album. So if you prefer that version, then the P & P one is the one for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard versions of this every year it was performed and all are great to me but my favorites are between TSRTS, Knebworth, and I got a version but no idea what date but sounds like early 75' a little similar to Vancouver 3/19/75 but not Earls Court..

Archived