Favorite HMMT performance?

BlyZeppelinaren

Hey all, first post here so you're welcome to shout at me for making dumb mistakes but I want to know what your favorite performance of How Many More Times is, it's my favorite Zep song(making it my all time favorite song) and it's always brilliant live.

My favorite version of it is probably from 3-17-69 in denmark but I'd be interested in what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSIS0o7vtPE

It seems like most of the versions of HMMT are cut for some reason or another. I like versions with the great medley jams, before WLL took that mantle. 4/27/69 at the Fillmore West comes to mind as a favorite.

Yeah that's a real shame, I prefer HMMT with the medley over WLL with medleys, feels more glued together IMO

Probably the BBC-recorded version (June 27th, 1969).

I have the BBC Sessions and that's a great one! Definitely up there

How about the one from December 6th of 1969? Or the one from October 10th of the same year? Those are my favorites and both are well worth the trouble of seeking out!

Listening now and how have I not heard about this before?! It's tremendous! Thanks

The version from RAH on 1/9/1970 is probably about my favorite one. Too bad some of the medley was cut for the dvd, but you can get the full audio in great soundboard sound. Also, the one from the Boston Tea Party on 1/23/1969 is quite strong as well. Such a strong show in their beginning. Probably, why this show is so historic.

I'm gonna go with the one I saw at a page and plant show in 98. If I had to pick a moment, where it was the closest thing to hearing zep, it would be this song in 98. Another one would be, in the evening in 95, with the orchestra of course it turned it into something different than a zep vibe...but still was a sort of triumphant moment for them, I would think.

• 2 weeks later...

Montreux 3/12/70 (correct me if that's not exact date lol) and BCC are my two favorites, the one from Southampton 73' is pretty good IMO it's just a very unique sound for the song followed directly by Communication Breakdown, what's great way to end a show!?

Montreux 3/12/70 (correct me if that's not exact date lol) and BCC are my two favorites, the one from Southampton 73' is pretty good IMO it's just a very unique sound for the song followed directly by Communication Breakdown, what's great way to end a show!?

3/07/70 ;)

And it is also my favorite. The solo is daunting , what trip!

By the way, here are my top 5 (with a large coefficient reserved for solos, major attractions of this piece:

1 ) Montreux . No comment.

2) Paris 69: Key date in my opinion. This is the moment of artistic transition which increased the group in the sphere of lyricism. Led Zeppelin sphere exactly. Note the striking contrast between the nervousness that characterizes the tour " filmore " and , more generally, throughout the summer tour, and the sweet poetry which showed Jimmy in this HMMT . This version is simply magical , the construction of the solo gives pride to licks that we find later in 70 . The story began .

3) Filmore 69 (26 and 27 April) : other sound ( almost metallic ) , another approach, another dynamic may be , but damn it's moving! As I said earlier, this is nervous , it smells Led Zep 2 . Special mention for the bow.

4)Hamburg 11.03.1970 : Using the wah wah for the solo: something rare enough to be underlined. In line with montreux (4 days apart) , perhaps a bit more aggresive

5)Boston 28/05/1969 : " fuzz sound ", got to love it. Beautiful setting "for your love" . Very energetic .

My English is very limited, hard to send emotions to anyone reading this message. Yet this is not what is missing when I listen to this track !

Cheers.

Edited by Strider77

• 5 months later...

Hey all, first post here so you're welcome to shout at me for making dumb mistakes but I want to know what your favorite performance of How Many More Times is, it's my favorite Zep song(making it my all time favorite song) and it's always brilliant live.

My favorite version of it is probably from 3-17-69 in denmark but I'd be interested in what you think!

This is a great version, and even better to watch them playing live. I love those early days when they were blowing minds for the first time. The audiences are so interesting to watch...I'd love to know what they were thinking!! This is really good stuff!

• 7 months later...

I literally can't stop listening to San Francisco 4/27/1969!! That's definitely one of the top 5, if not top 3! It's perfect.

Anyway, does anyone know what tune they're jamming at the 16 minute mark?! "looking for a way out" "here we go round"... It's one of the best jams in a medley I've ever heard from Zep! And know if they played it again??

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone listen to Toronto 1969-08-18?

Not the best, but damn did that concert sound like a blast!? Love the way Plant introduces the band "On drums, and lead guitar.." lol. 

Anyway 2 questions about it (HMMT intro). Before Plant introduces Bonzo, he said "On bass guitar, and Hammond organ.. JPJ". Could have sworn Jonsey strictly played bass through 1969 because it's expensive to haul a Hammond organ around..?

Also, anyone know who introduced Plant!? Could that have been Jimmy Page!?!?