Robert announcing "sensational" year on Jimmy's birthday tomorrow

JeromeTheMetronome

Boy I'm really excited for another butchered version of "Black Dog". He can stick his nose up at his former band mates, but he didn't write the music for "Black Dog" so he could be a lot more respectful. Maybe if he plays only post 1980 material vs. taking an ugly stick to Zeppelin songs he would look better. But I'm just a random fan among millions so what the hell do I know.

i think this is being looked into far too much. How do we know that Robert himself is even in charge of the marketing? cause i highly doubt that he concerns himself with these types of things. He is releasing an album soon, he's starting a tour, and it was announced on the 9th of January.. Big deal. I don't see how he's sticking it to JP or JPJ, especially since he's quite often been referring to the upcoming re-releases that Jimmy is obviously spear heading.

I love the music of Led Zeppelin above all other "popular" music which is why

Plant's attitude to what he created with the other three is so irritating. He constantly

denigrates as "silly" what went on years ago, while simultaneously bigging up his current band

and slaughtering songs which were perfect as written and recorded by master musicians at their peak.

By the way, has he ever considered why he needs two guitarists to achieve a lesser effect than Pagey

achieved with one!

Decided to get a ticket for Glastonbury Abbey :D

I'm probably in the minority but I love what Plant is doing with his current band. Was blown away when I saw him at the Forum in London in 2012 and it seems the shows just keep getting better and better. I love the rearranged songs. I'm glad he decided to revisit the Strange Sensation style, can't wait for the new record - although Mighty Rearranger's a hard act to follow!

I just want to see Jimmy live again. I really don't care the vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, Jimmy can just pull up a stool and play a two hour acoustic set and I would be a very happy man.

^^ Totally agree!! :yesnod:

This is only my opinion and we all have the right to express it. I do not think that this was done to get to Jimmy. These men are above this kind of shit!

I miss them live, but Led Zeppelin was/is JOHN BONHAM. I love Jason and saw three dates of the JBLZE. I cried for 3 days because I could not get tickets to the O2. Jason did a truly amazing performance that night. But I can tell you from having the memories of hearing them live back in the days...not one of them could have been replaced and still be Led Zeppelin!! Please listen to BBC Robert Plant By Myself from 5:00-to about 7:30 (on you tube it's part 2).

If by some means aliens invade and the three of them get on a stage together I would be there...it would be a hell of a way to go out!! :peace:

I like to think the chase had it right when he said the timing was chosen to dispel inevitable reunion speculation.

On the other hand, if Robert would stop saying things like "I'm free in 2014" it wouldn't be coming up anymore.

This. I have to say that despite the rationale, I am really sick of Robert fanning the flames. After all the talk since 2007, it was really irresponsible for him to make the availability 2014 comment. At some point a guy needs to look at the bigger picture and realize that even if there is no accompanying tour, a life long friend just turned 70, and it would mean the world to him to have another go at this, even if it is understood that it will be the final chapter. Jimmy has been the steward of all things Zeppelin, and I feel for him on this, because you have to know that he would be elated to put out one more album. Its just too bad; even Ozzy and Tony Iommi put aside their differences, because they realized that life is too short to let it slip away and not do something truly meaningful. My respect for Robert has eroded over the years as a result of his selfishness. One day he will reflect back and wonder if it really would have killed him to take one for the team.

One day he will reflect back and wonder if it really would have killed him to take one for the team.

He already took one for Jimmy...it was called Page/Plant and lasted from 1994-1998.

He already took one for the team...it was held at the 02 Arena on December 10, 2007.

This. I have to say that despite the rationale, I am really sick of Robert fanning the flames. After all the talk since 2007, it was really irresponsible for him to make the availability 2014 comment. At some point a guy needs to look at the bigger picture and realize that even if there is no accompanying tour, a life long friend just turned 70, and it would mean the world to him to have another go at this, even if it is understood that it will be the final chapter. Jimmy has been the steward of all things Zeppelin, and I feel for him on this, because you have to know that he would be elated to put out one more album. Its just too bad

So true ....... BUT

even Ozzy and Tony Iommi put aside their differences, because they realized that life is too short to let it slip away and not do something truly meaningful. My respect for Robert has eroded over the years as a result of his selfishness.

Yeah, but neither Bill Ward nor Ozzy's son died along the ride. You see what I mean ?

Robert had to face the unbearable in the past and I'm inclined to think his deep psychological wounds never really healed. Led Zeppelin in his mind is definitely a "love or hate" affair now. His experience with the band represents the BEST and the WORST of his whole life in the same time. And this is the kind of contradictory stances that are really, really hard to deal with on a daily basis. Because at the end of the day what is the most pregnant, the good or the bad ?

Another food for thought. On his website Robert declares : "Plant revels in the excitement generated by the collision of these remarkably powerful forces. Though his contribution to Pop Culture began with his work with Led Zeppelin, his path since has been uncompromising: keep it fresh, spin the bottle, dig deep, embrace the past - visit it – celebrate it – but don’t build a home in it."

Embrace the past -visit it - celebrate it - but don't build a home in it.

Maybe that's it. In Robert's mind Zeppelin was a marvellous and intense experience to live but too dangerous and potentially destructive in the same time to offer a safe way of living. If Led Zeppelin, the entity, the band, was a type of woman to compare with, it could well be a femme fatale as we say in France. The kind of woman who once you've been in love with and the romance is almost over, you deeply know you'll never be able to get over it.

So true ....... BUT

Yeah, but neither Bill Ward nor Ozzy's son died along the ride. You see what I mean ?

Robert had to face the unbearable in the past and I'm inclined to think his deep psychological wounds never really healed. Led Zeppelin in his mind is definitely a "love or hate" affair now. His experience with the band represents the BEST and the WORST of his whole life in the same time. And this is the kind of contradictory stances that are really, really hard to deal with on a daily basis. Because at the end of the day what is the most pregnant, the good or the bad ?

Another food for thought. On his website Robert declares : "Plant revels in the excitement generated by the collision of these remarkably powerful forces. Though his contribution to Pop Culture began with his work with Led Zeppelin, his path since has been uncompromising: keep it fresh, spin the bottle, dig deep, embrace the past - visit it – celebrate it – but don’t build a home in it."

Embrace the past -visit it - celebrate it - but don't build a home in it.

Maybe that's it. In Robert's mind Zeppelin was a marvellous and intense experience to live but too dangerous and potentially destructive in the same time to offer a safe way of living. If Led Zeppelin, the entity, the band, was a type of woman to compare with, it could well be a femme fatale as we say in France. The kind of woman who once you've been in love with and the romance is almost over, you deeply know you'll never be able to get over it.

Excellent points!!! Well said. I would like to think that time heals all wounds though, and that Robert would acknowledge that everyone has changed since those days. Sometimes I think one has to balance the scales and look at how short life has grown for Jimmy, at the age of 70, and also realize that a Zeppelin revisit could be a simple as one album, and no world tour to follow. Irrespective of my speculation and meanderings, Robert should, at the very least, have the courage of his convictions and say NO. NEVER. To continually fan the flames is wrong, and I, for one, put a fair bit of stock in his availability comment, as I did not think that he would open that can of worms, yet again, if there was not more to it. Mostly, I just feel bad for Jimmy. I want this more for him than for me. He deserves one more go before his story comes to a permanent end.

Agree with Thunderzep - I'd just like the opportunity to see JP play live - just once in my life!

He doesn't need RP to demonstrate his genius. Already proven beyond doubt.

Would have been nice to see RP make announcement warmly wishing his dear friend all the best on such an important birthday - or maybe I missed it...

Mostly, I just feel bad for Jimmy. I want this more for him than for me. He deserves one more go before his story comes to a permanent end.

That seems to be the paradox here and has been for years, fans not letting too elderly men decide for themselves what they wish to do.

It's 2014, you can't possibly believe Page is still pushing for a Led Zeppelin reformation of any sort.

If the O2 is anything to go by....I for one certainly hope not, why can't Zeppelin "fans" stop hankering for another concert? It's not going to be the same, nobody can recapture how they performed 40 years ago no matter what their chosen profession. Just remember Led Zeppelin as they were up until 1980, don't forget we had 12 years of the best rock group on the planet, let's not get greedy.

^^ Insinuating that individuals who wish for some sort of Zeppelin reformation are fake "fans" is incendiary. I find the suggestion of this demeaning to many dedicated followers of the group.

The argument of reformation has carried on for 34 years and counting. Its a valid topic of conversation. I don't think its greedy or ignorant to wish that Jones, Plant and Page would write some new music together. At the same time I don't think its going to happen either but people are entitled to dream.

This issue always dissolves into bickering. Maybe two threads are needed: "Who wants new music from Zeppelin" and "Who wants a reunion to never happen".

The argument of reformation has carried on for 34 years and counting.

Really? I guess I remember the post-1980 era differently. Initially reformation was unfathomable. Robert Plant..."No Led Anything..." blah blah blah bottom line is by 1999 (with the benefit of hindsight) it really was all well and truly played out for good. EIGHT YEARS LATER the one-off 02 comes along leaving some SIX YEARS LATER still banging the reformation drum. Oh well, as you said dare to dream if you'd like. I'm just looking forward to the new releases so the forum will have something better to post about.

"Incendiary" doesn't that loosely mean likely to cause a fire. I didn't mean it like that at all. I'm afraid all Led Zeppelin fans are very welcome, the more the merrier, but to hope for more concerts from them.... re-hashing 34+ year old tracks with the deceased drummers son just isn't on. By all means let the remaining three record some new material together, but not under the 'guise of Led Zeppelin. Plant and Page did it (much to the chagrin of Jones). New stuff from the three would be brilliant, just no more of "Led Zeppelin" who finished in 1980, we have 12 years to marvel at and listen to over and over again.Those of us who have seen them are the lucky ones, we do not mention it in order to brag, or to get one over on the younger generation who have not had the fortune of witnessing such an event, we do it out of sheer pride. We were born at the right time, we witnessed it first hand, I speak to my nephew and his friends often, they are all Led Zeppelin fans, the next generation. They love to hear me talking about the concerts I have been to, I don't boast I just try to explain to them what a truly magical experience each concert was. Is that putting the new generation of fans down? I don't think so. We ALL want to hear some new music from the remaining members of Led Zeppelin - end of speech.

It's 2014, you can't possibly believe Page is still pushing for a Led Zeppelin reformation of any sort.

Pushing, or still having hope that it might materialize before its too late, are two different things. We all know that Jimmy's love for this band will never die, and if the planets aligned, he would be all over a new recording opportunity. Whether it yielded anything would remain to be seen, but I believe he would be there with bells on. LZ is undoubtedly his proudest career moment, and I am quite confident that he hasn't thrown in the towel and checked in to the senior's home yet. I agree that anything large scale, such as a world tour, would not be in the cards, but some new music is still within the realm of physical possibility, even if it is not likely.

Archived