2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

As a Mets fan, I have very little to look forward to seemingly every year & 2014 will be no different. Our best pitcher might be the "Fat-Man", ped user Bartolo Colon. Zach Wheeler might develop into an ace, no Matt Harvey and no pop in the lineup outside of Wright and Granderson. Another long year in Met-land.

And it might be a long year in the Bronx too, yowsers! I can foresee more Red Sox domination in the AL East, but the Birds & Rays will be heard from (hopefully the O's can get their closer situation straightened out)...

Still like Detroit in the Central & the A's in the west. And how the hell does Mike Scioscia still have a job. I would have thought the goodwill that one World Series trophy he won ages ago would have run out by now. And will Pujols bounce back & be even a semblance of what he once was in St. Louis?

Can't wait for the first pitch of the regular season...

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif

I'm looking forward to the baseball season too. I'm a Met and an Oriole fan. I guess if the Mets can approach 500 it may be a successful year. The O's should be better than last year. They blew a lot of games in August and September where they were leading through 6 or 7 innings. And maybe Markakis gets some pop back into his bat this year.

Since my football team got eliminated (the Colts), I'm not too much into the rest of the football playoffs, although I would like to see Denver beat New England.

Speaking of the Yanks, I hope you don't mind if I indulge my passion for musicals here, but at least there's a baseball connection.

Broadway legend Gwen Verdon was born on this day in 1925. Here is the irrepressible redhead in "Damn Yankees", singing "Whatever Lola Wants". Choreography by Bob Fosse. That's Tab Hunter on the receiving end of Gwen's charms.

Season opens I believe on March 30th, Dodgers vs. Padres. Personally I was hoping for more of a marquee matchup to kickoff the season, like Red Sox/Orioles, but maybe there will be some intrigue with the Dodgers. There might still be some bad blood over that whole Zach Greinke injury from last season....

Season opens I believe on March 30th, Dodgers vs. Padres. Personally I was hoping for more of a marquee matchup to kickoff the season, like Red Sox/Orioles, but maybe there will be some intrigue with the Dodgers. There might still be some bad blood over that whole Zach Greinke injury from last season....

The Dodgers should be plenty tough and may open as the favorites in the NL?

^^ I don't know, that's a good question? Rick had an idea for a contest but I don't remember all the details. Maybe we could do that...

I was thinking we could each pick a team in each division and get a pt for each game they won and add up pts at end of each week? Run it by a few other members and see what they think?

So for an everyday player, that would be a $1 billion contract! I like the line where he says 7 years is the most he wanted to sign for because he wanted to make sure he could live up to the expectations....dude, at $30 million+ per season, you are gonna have one Hell of a time living up to this. Still don't hear anyone screaming about the Dodgers trying to buy a title like they do everytime the Yankees put up a huge contract signing! :rolleyes:

Still don't hear anyone screaming about the Dodgers trying to buy a title like they do everytime the Yankees put up a huge contract signing! :rolleyes:

I've been hearing them called "Yankees west" quite a bit the past 2 season. On talent alone, that team should be unbeatable, but that is almost never the case in baseball.

Hope the young guys can come through for the Cardinals this year. Their pitching could be even better, getting Garcia back, adding Wacha and another year of experience to their young stable. Feel like they have enough pitchers to keep the young guys fresh and with Matheny and Molina running the staff, I'm not too concerned.

Tavares will need to be a ROY candidate and Adams will need to show that he deserves to be in the show. Felt like he got figured out pretty fast last year. Craig playing alot of outfield worries me, as he's been pretty injury prone. Maybe this is the year he plays a full season and the Cards add a 3rd legit MVP candidate from last year.

I've heard the Angels being referred to that more than the Dodgers...

Anyway, I like the way the Cards reload with their own talent and some under the radar free agent signings. One of the reasons I root for them more than any other NL team and have since the late 70's.

.Still don't hear anyone screaming about the Dodgers trying to buy a title like they do everytime the Yankees put up a huge contract signing! :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, we've been hearing it often for the last two seasons - but that may be related to the big trade a few years ago between LA and Boston and the Magic Johnson connection. I hear the "spending like drunk sailors" term a lot. That said, of course the "NYY buying championships" card is still thrown.

With A Rod out, the Yankees could be in for a long year. I hope so. I know Toronto is going to play better and the Angels should too. I like my O's chances.

So why don't we get some more people here on board for my idea? It won't take alot of work. We each pick a team in all the divisions. We get a point for every win. You can pick any team you want in each division and then we will pick the playoffs once they start. Why don't we have an extra 50 pt bonus for those that can predict the World Series winnner? And another 50 if you can correctly pick the two teams that will meet in the series. I will await some feedback. Maybe Paul and Strider and Jabe and Ally will have some idea's to contribute? And anyone else I may not be bringing to mind. No disrespect to any of my friends I may have forgot to mention. JB126 and Walter of course, I would like your feedback. Walter you may want to help run it?

I think that the Saint Louis Cardinals will be back this year with a certain and Strong Vengeance and Resolve to be back in the lead of the National League and will make it back to the 2014 World Series. I think that whoever their opponent is, the StL. Cardinals are going to win the 2014 World Series. Mark My Words.

The Saint Louis Cardinals are (in My opinion), the most consistent and Dominating team in Major League Baseball. (I am referring to nowadays, and not to the very distant past, which has "historically" belonged to the New York Yankees).

The Saint Louis Cardinals will be in this years World Series and will win it.

Archived