My Photos - MSG 1975 & 1977

Hue & Eye

Maybe try a different photo hosting site. I use photobucket and it works great. Hue & Eye if there is anything I can do to help I live in Glendale and I would be happy to be of help in any way I can for you. PM me.

And the last few - I have tons more but it's simply too time consuming to save these files into another format to post here.

No color - I shot it I'm sure, but I can't remember seeing them, but it has been many, many years. I left the photo pit as the stage was more than 6' high and I'm short which is why I'm looking up their nose. I also hate using a flash but sometimes you gotta or else a shadow is all that you will see. My friend Sam tried to get me in another night to shoot from the stage but that idea was nixed by his boss, Danny Goldberg. I did see 2 other shows but left my cameras home and enjoyed the performances instead.

I was high as a kite and in pain as I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed earlier in the day and my focusing of the camera suffered as a result but using a tele at close distances is also not helpful as depth of field is none existant and a step either way by the musicians throws the photo out of focus.

Enjoy.

post-27411-0-09932400-1389992555_thumb.g

post-27411-0-21088400-1389992557_thumb.g

post-27411-0-42460200-1389992559_thumb.g

post-27411-0-88838000-1389992560_thumb.g

post-27411-0-48261400-1389992562_thumb.g

And the last few - I have tons more but it's simply too time consuming to save these files into another format to post here.

No color - I shot it I'm sure, but I can't remember seeing them, but it has been many, many years. I left the photo pit as the stage was more than 6' high and I'm short which is why I'm looking up their nose. I also hate using a flash but sometimes you gotta or else a shadow is all that you will see. My friend Sam tried to get me in another night to shoot from the stage but that idea was nixed by his boss, Danny Goldberg. I did see 2 other shows but left my cameras home and enjoyed the performances instead.

I was high as a kite and in pain as I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed earlier in the day and my focusing of the camera suffered as a result but using a tele at close distances is also not helpful as depth of field is none existant and a step either way by the musicians throws the photo out of focus.

Enjoy.

and the rest

Thank you so very much!!!! I loved them all and look forward very much to more when you have time. :)

H&E, these are some of the most amazing photos I have ever seen! You are a genius! The way you captured the performance with your camera is exceptional. Thank you, again, for sharing your collection!!!

:yourock:

I thought Jimmy had the poppies and dragons added by the time of the MSG shows?

Strider, he did, our Expert Forum Member DavidZoso explained it here...

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/23-hot-pics-of-jimmy/page-382

"after studying photos etc of the 1977 tour for close to 30 years I have come up with the following answers.

Jimmy had the white dragon top with poppy flower and dragon on the back from the start of the tour in Dallas April 1, 1977 but didn't wear the white dragon pants until the first show in Cincinatti

April 19, 1977. All show previous to that show he wore the plain white pants. All shows after that Cincinatti 4-19-77 show he wore the full the white dragon top and pants except at the last New York show on 6-14-77 and the San Diego show on 6-19-77 he wore the white dragon top and plain white pants again.

Then in Largo, Maryland 5-28-77 , Los Angeles 6-22-77( he changed into the full white dragon suit after Moby Dick for remainder of show), and Oakland 7-23-77 shows he wore the black dragon suit.

The Chicago 4-10-77 show he wore the what has been called the 'Stormtrooper' outfit but I disagree and think he was going for the WW 1 aircraft pilot outfits like the Red Baron. Then after Moby Dick he changed into the white dragon top and plain white pants for the remainder of the show.

Tempe 7-20-77 Black dragon pants, black t-shirt and white scarf.

last show in the US Oakland 7-24-77

The Chicago 4-10-77 show he wore the what has been called the 'Stormtrooper' outfit but I disagree and think he was going for the WW 1 aircraft pilot outfits like the Red Baron.

Interesting but I disagree with that. For one thing, Jimmy said his intent was to shock, though he then backpedaled by saying "it wasn't the whole uniform, just the jodhpurs (pants), boots and hat". It's the wrong hat and pants to be an aircraft pilot outfit and beside the Red Baron onstage in Chicago on Easter Sunday doesn't shock nearly as effectively as a storm trooper. David may recall Jimmy also wore a white fedora onstage that night. I have speculated all of this was a homage to Chicago's long-standing association with gangsters....heroin-fueled performance art!

Interesting but I disagree with that. For one thing, Jimmy said his intent was to shock, though he then backpedaled by saying "it wasn't the whole uniform, just the jodhpurs (pants), boots and hat". It's the wrong hat and pants to be an aircraft pilot outfit and beside the Red Baron onstage in Chicago on Easter Sunday doesn't shock nearly as effectively as a storm trooper. David may recall Jimmy also wore a white fedora onstage that night. I have speculated all of this was a homage to Chicago's long-standing association with gangsters....heroin-fueled performance art!

He also loved Charlotte Rampling in the Night Porter which he and Peter Grant watched over and over as told in Trampled Underfoot. It sounds like that was part of his inspiration for the stormtrooper outfit.

What an awesome Christmas gift you have given us Zeppelin fans Hue & Eye!

There can never be enough Led Zeppelin images as far as I am concerned, especially for the 1977 Tour, which as immense as it was often seems underrepresented with usually the same few images getting reproduced over and over. You have done us great favour and honour by treating us to the fruits of your labour. What a treasure trove...my eyes are alight with delight. I especially love how, unlike so many photographers who only focused on getting close-ups, that you took the time to get shots that have all four group members in the frame. It ties in to a piece I am working on, and it is a way of looking at the band that we seldom get to see from professional photographers.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Hue & Eye!

Now, a question...are these from the 1977 Madison Square Garden shows? Because it appears Jimmy's pants are lacking the dragons, etc. that I thought he had added to his outfit by the end of April. That's what I meant by my comment above, PlanetPage. The title and OP of this thread mentioned that these photos Hue & Eye were posting were from the 1975 and 1977 MSG shows. When he posted the first black and white one from 1977 and I saw that Jimmy's pants were bare, it struck me as odd, given what we know about the timeline about the evolution of the White Dragon suit of the 1977 tour.

So, either these 1977 photos are not from MSG...or Jimmy alternated different pants during the MSG run?

getting there

Thank you Hue & Eye SO MUCH for posting these!

All of your photos are simply stunning and they capture their performance in the moment so beautifully!

You captured Jimmy singing in one! I Love it!

And I edited my comment to add:

The photo of the 4 of them in the acoustic set is mesmerizing ...John Bonham is looking directly at the camera, it is a great shot!

Very cool stuff, I love your eye!

What an awesome Christmas gift you have given us Zeppelin fans Hue & Eye!

There can never be enough Led Zeppelin images as far as I am concerned, especially for the 1977 Tour, which as immense as it was often seems underrepresented with usually the same few images getting reproduced over and over. You have done us great favour and honour by treating us to the fruits of your labour. What a treasure trove...my eyes are alight with delight. I especially love how, unlike so many photographers who only focused on getting close-ups, that you took the time to get shots that have all four group members in the frame. It ties in to a piece I am working on, and it is a way of looking at the band that we seldom get to see from professional photographers.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Hue & Eye!

Now, a question...are these from the 1977 Madison Square Garden shows? Because it appears Jimmy's pants are lacking the dragons, etc. that I thought he had added to his outfit by the end of April. That's what I meant by my comment above, PlanetPage. The title and OP of this thread mentioned that these photos Hue & Eye were posting were from the 1975 and 1977 MSG shows. When he posted the first black and white one from 1977 and I saw that Jimmy's pants were bare, it struck me as odd, given what we know about the timeline about the evolution of the White Dragon suit of the 1977 tour.

So, either these 1977 photos are not from MSG...or Jimmy alternated different pants during the MSG run?

...Strider, except the plain white satin Stage Suit photo (only one posted here), rest are from MSG, that agrees with DavidZoso's explanation...last New York show on 6-14-77 and the San Diego show on 6-19-77 he wore the white dragon top and "plain white pants again".

Archived