2014 Academy Awards - The OSCARS

Strider

Finished picking my Oscar ballot for the various Oscar pools I partake of, and thought I would share my picks here for others to compare, or if you wish, to use as a guide. Don't know how many others participate in Oscar pools with their friends but it's a fun way to watch the Academy Awards and perhaps win a little money in the process.

I recently re-watched all the nominees, so all the films are still fresh in my mind. Here are my choices for all 24 categories. To be clear, this is who I think will win, not who I want to win. Big difference...although in some categories they were the same.

BEST PICTURE: 12 YEARS A SLAVE

It's really a three-horse race between "12 Years a Slave", "Gravity", and "American Hustle". "American Hustle" is hurt by the perception of many that it's a comedy, and comedies rarely win Best Picture. "Gravity" suffers from being a space flick...again, space-sci-fi rarely wins at the Oscars. That leaves "12 Years a Slave". There's a sizable British contingent in the Academy, so there's an outside chance that if "12 Years", "Hustle" and "Gravity" split the vote, enough Brits voting for "Philomena" could push it to an upset. Of course, "12 Years" is also a British film, so that's unlikely to happen.

DIRECTOR: ALFONSO CUARÓN "Gravity"

Deservedly so, too. The Academy won't award the film, but they'll award the man who made it happen. Especially after the Directors Guild honoured him. "Gravity" was a landmark, a game-changer in so many ways, and it was Cuarón's vision and hard work that saw the film through its many hurdles to completion.

ACTOR: MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY "Dallas Buyers Club"

All right, all right, all right. Because we're living in a McConaissance. I earlier thought that Bruce Dern might have a chance of winning a sentimental vote. But McConaughey just kept winning award after award. I thought it was a shame that the guy from "Fruitvale Station" and Mads Mikkelson from "The Hunt" weren't nominated.

ACTRESS: CATE BLANCHETT "Blue Jasmine"

As soon as I saw "Blue Jasmine", I knew Cate was the favourite to win this. Sandra Bullock and Amy Adams and Judi Dench are all amazing in their roles, too. But like McConaughey, Cate Blanchett has been sweeping every award in sight. For once, Meryl Streep has no chance.

SUPPORTING ACTOR: JARED LETO "Dallas Buyers Club"

Incredible to think "Dallas Buyers Club" has no buzz for winning Best Picture but will most likely take home two acting awards. Hard to believe this is the same guy who played Claire Dane's crush Jordan all those years ago on "My So-Called Life". The fact that he took years off from acting to focus on his band 30 Seconds to Mars makes his return even more impressive.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: JENNIFER LAWRENCE "American Hustle"

Most people are picking Lupita Nyong'o from "12 Years a Slave", and for a time I was thinking along the same lines. But after reviewing both films, it's no contest. Jennifer Lawrence practically steals every scene she's in as the "Picasso of passive-aggressive karate". Lupita basically has one scene where she gets whipped. Other than that, she barely registers in the film. If she wins, it will be an instance of an award going to someone who did the least since Beatrice Straight won Best Supporting Actress in 1977 for "Network". People say Jennifer Lawrence won last year, so that will hurt her chances this year. But good is good, and she is so fun to watch in "American Hustle" it's difficult to imagine the movie without her. Anybody could have played Lupita's part.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "AMERICAN HUSTLE"

Since David O. Russell will most likely get shut out in Best Picture and Best Director, this will be his consolation prize. Lot of support for Spike Jonze's "Her" but it sags and becomes a mess in the second half.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "12 YEARS A SLAVE" JOHN RIDLEY

Pretty much a slamdunk.

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM: "THE GREAT BEAUTY" (ITALY)

It's a crime that France's "Blue Is the Warmest Colour" wasn't nominated...it should have won. Since it isn't, Italy's "The Great Beauty" is in position to win, especially as it will remind many voters of the golden age of Fellini and Antonioni. "The Hunt" from the Netherlands and "The Broken Circle Breakdown" from Belgium are both very good, but very dark subject matter...probably too heavy to get much support from voters.

ANIMATED FEATURE: "FROZEN"

A rare case of Pixar getting beat by Disney. This film came out of nowhere to wow the world.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: "20 FEET FROM STARDOM"

Always a tough category with many worthy candidates. "The Act of Killing" was one of the most harrowing and memorable films I saw last year and is my favourite of this category. But it's too dark to win...the Academy will go with the crowd-pleasing "20 Feet from Stardom", just as it did last year with Sugar Man.

DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM: "THE LADY IN NUMBER 6: MUSIC SAVED MY LIFE"

It's about a 109-year old Holocaust survivor...which means Oscar gold.

ANIMATED SHORT FILM: "GET A HORSE!"

Disney pays homage to its beginnings in this clever and funny farce. "Mr. Hublot" and "Room on the Broom" are both charming enough to pose upset threats, however.

LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM: "HELIUM"

A real tough one to call. All, except the Finnish entry, are excellent. I'm tempted to pick "The Voorman Problem" because it's the only one in English and it stars Martin Freeman. Buuut, "Helium" is one of those softy tear-jerkers involving a cute kid that the Academy is often a sucker for, subtitles or not.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: "GRAVITY" EMMANUEL LUBEZKI

Like I said, "Gravity" was a game-changer". It should rule all the technical categories on the night.

EDITING: "GRAVITY" ALFONSO CUARÓN & MARK SANGER

It's called "editing" for a reason. While so many movies come in at a bloated 2 1/2 - 3 hours, "Gravity" comes in at a taut, economical 90 minutes. Hallelujah!

COSTUME DESIGN: "THE GREAT GATSBY" CATHERINE MARTIN

PRODUCTION DESIGN: "THE GREAT GATSBY" CATHERINE MARTIN & BEVERLEY DUNN

"American Hustle" was my original pick for these two categories. But then I attended a seminar yesterday involving all the Production Design nominees and judging by the in-house applause, Aussie Catherine Martin is beloved and the favourite.

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: "DALLAS BUYERS CLUB"

Fairly easy choice here. It helps that the other two nominees were fairly lame, especially "Lone Ranger".

SOUND EDITING: "GRAVITY"

SOUND MIXING: "GRAVITY"

VISUAL EFFECTS: "GRAVITY"

One-two-three slam dunk. Usually these awards go to some summer blockbuster Michael Bay monstrosity, but even The Hobbit's Smaug the Dragon is no match for Gravity's floating teardrop.

ORIGINAL SCORE: "GRAVITY" STEPHEN PRICE

Alexandre Desplat is well-liked, so his score for "Philomena" could pull an upset.

ORIGINAL SONG: "LET IT GO" from "FROZEN"

Yes, it's tempting to pick the U2 song from the politically correct Mandela movie. I also liked Karen O's "The Moon Song" from "Her". But "Frozen" is sweeping the country. They even have singalong screenings of "Frozen" already.

So...there you have it. My predictions for tonight's Oscars. You can taunt and make fun of how wrong I was tomorrow. If anyone else is involved in an Oscar pool and wants to share your picks, please post them here.

I'll play. Admittedly, I need to go with the odds favorites or guess for some of the categories, e.g. Animated Feature, Song, etc.

Using your template Strider, as many of my picks match yours.

Hi Walter, hope you and your family are doing well.

BEST PICTURE: 12 YEARS A SLAVE
DIRECTOR: ALFONSO CUARÓN "Gravity"
ACTOR: MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY "Dallas Buyers Club"
ACTRESS: CATE BLANCHETT "Blue Jasmine"
SUPPORTING ACTOR: JARED LETO "Dallas Buyers Club"
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: LUPITA NYONG'O "12 Years a Slave"
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "AMERICAN HUSTLE"
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "12 YEARS A SLAVE" JOHN RIDLEY
FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM: "THE GREAT BEAUTY" (ITALY)

"Blue Is the Warmest Colour" wasn't nominated...it should have won. - I agree.

ANIMATED FEATURE: "FROZEN"

Fingers crossed for Rhode Island's Writer/Director Jennifer Lee.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: "THE ACT OF KILLING"
DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM: "THE LADY IN NUMBER 6: MUSIC SAVED MY LIFE"
ANIMATED SHORT FILM: "GET A HORSE!"
LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM: "AQUEL NO ERA YO (THAT WASN'T ME)"
CINEMATOGRAPHY: "GRAVITY" EMMANUEL LUBEZKI
EDITING: "GRAVITY" ALFONSO CUARÓN & MARK SANGER
COSTUME DESIGN: "AMERICAN HUSTLE" MICHAEL WILKINSON
PRODUCTION DESIGN: "THE GREAT GATSBY" CATHERINE MARTIN & BEVERLEY DUNN
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: "DALLAS BUYERS CLUB"
SOUND EDITING: "GRAVITY"
SOUND MIXING: "GRAVITY"
VISUAL EFFECTS: "GRAVITY"
ORIGINAL SCORE: “PHILOMENA," ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
ORIGINAL SONG: “ORDINARY LOVE" from "MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM"

I'd play, except I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen any of the movies ... yet. I usually wait and catch them on HBO. I do have a screener of Dallas Buyers Club here on my coffee table. I will watch it. Really. This week.

I'll definitely be watching the show tonight!

I'd play, except I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen any of the movies ... yet. I usually wait and catch them on HBO. I do have a screener of Dallas Buyers Club here on my coffee table. I will watch it. Really. This week.

I'll definitely be watching the show tonight!

You're the best!

Charlize Theron is my Red Carpet winner tonight!

You're the best!

Charlize Theron is my Red Carpet winner tonight!

Lovely indeed. Poor Sally Hawkins though. She appeared nervous and her dress looked a mess.

Ellen a lot zingier than usual.

Archived