The Yes Thread

Cletus

ooooh you have a wonderful collection of Music to find on them....top band

Leddy, you've got me all excited now! :D

I gave "Fragile" and the S/T debut a couple of listens a few months ago and then I got side-tracked after discovering other bands and I kinda forgot about "Yes" for a while and then after seeing this thread, I am literally re-visiting their entire catalogue! :D My dad is a huge fan, so, accessing albums won't be a problem! B)

Hi kiwi, :wave:

That is so sweet of you to come back and post a reply. No need to aplogize.

I've read many of your posts and it's easy to see what a thoughtful and kind person you are.

I would never feel blown off by you friend.

But I must admit...... it does feel nice when you ask a specific person something and they do come back and offer you their thoughts.

And it doesn't always happen here either, so thank-you. :thanku:

Speaking of clips, this post gave me another shot at listening to this clip, and it is good!! However, I'm not a Yes expert at all. I'd like to become one though.

Most of my familiarity with the band comes from their early period of music. So really I'm new to them also (with respect to their later body of work).

Looks like we'll both want to check this thread from time to time!

I ordered "Yessongs" dvd this week. I'll come back and post a vid if there is some good stuff in it. Cheers!............missy

Hi again Missy! :wave:

You're very welcome sweetie! :friends:

I just thought that it was the decent thing to do (on my part) since you had taken the trouble of posting that clip for me! :D

Well, I am a "Yes" newbie and this thread has got me all excited about them! :lol: And congrats on your DVD purchase! Hope you enjoy it! :D

My dad has been a fan for quite a while now and yet I never really got into them! I can't quite imagine why! :lol: I have given "Fragile" and the S/T debut album a couple of listens a few months ago but then, I got side-tracked and I got into other bands and forgot about these guys, to be honest! Anyway, it's never too late to start! :D I guess this thread is a good place to start! I do believe that many people consider these guys as the pioneers of "progressive rock"? Hmmm...interesting! :D

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 5 months later...

Ex-Yes Frontman Jon Anderson Opens Up About Getting Fired

As the band gets ready to release a new album and go on tour, Anderson is still bitter about how he was treated

main.jpg

Rob Verhorst/Redferns/Getty Images

By ANDY GREENE

When Rolling Stone posted the new Yes song "We Can Fly" last month it didn't just provide fans of the legendary prog band the first glimpse into the band's new album – it also allowed former lead singer Jon Anderson to check out what his band has done in his absence. "I wasn't really convinced," he tells Rolling Stone. "The new singer is singing good, but it sounded a bit dated to me. Also, the production wasn't as good as I expected. They've got a great producer with Trevor Horn, so what the hell are you doing?"

Anderson has reason to be bitter. He co-founded the band in 1968 with bassist Chris Squire, and with the exception of 1980's Drama he sang on every album. In 2008 – after illness kept him off the road for four years – Yes replaced him with Benoit David, an Anderson sound-alike who previously fronted the Yes tribute band Close to the Edge.

To read the rest of the article click here.

• 8 months later...

So, has anybody kept up with all the lastest Yes drama. They've fired Benoit David(Anderson's replacement) and replaced him with someone called Jon Davidson, who is the lead singer for a prog rock band called Glass Hammer(A band I've known about for a while, but never heard much of their work, outside of 1 or 2 songs).

Interesting. :wacko:

So, has anybody kept up with all the lastest Yes drama. They've fired Benoit David(Anderson's replacement) and replaced him with someone called Jon Davidson, who is the lead singer for a prog rock band called Glass Hammer(A band I've known about for a while, but never heard much of their work, outside of 1 or 2 songs).

Interesting. :wacko:

Thanks Cletus... I had no idea this was going on.. I found this statement from Benoit David online about his departure.

Dear YES fans,

As you all know, the final three shows of last year's European tour were cancelled due to my ill health. On my return to Canada, I was advised to cease touring, for the foreseeable future, in order to avoid further damage to my voice. Following this extremely disappointing diagnosis, I had no alternative but to inform my fellow band members that I was unable to confirm my availability for, at least, the forthcoming concerts in New Zealand, Australia and Japan.

Although there was no alternative, I did so with a heavy heart as I felt that I was letting everyone down especially those who have supported me since I had the privilege of becoming the band's vocalist in 2008. The band members were all very understanding and asked if I would mind being replaced for the April shows - I immediately agreed that this would be the best way forward and gave them my blessing. I was then pleased to learn that Jon Davison would be my replacement as he is an accomplished musician with a fine voice.

I subsequently learnt, from a band member's interview, that I had officially left Yes and that my departure was permanent. As this is the situation, everyone should know that I will be eternally grateful for the opportunity I was given and very proud to have contributed to more than 200 concerts and to the 'Fly From Here' and 'In The Present Live From Lyon' albums. I would also like to express my appreciation for the support I was given by each member of the band, the fantastic crew, the management and everyone else involved during my time as vocalist in the band. Finally, to the fans who have applauded my efforts and to those I have had the pleasure of meeting - many thanks, my best wishes and please continue with your support of one of the world's greatest bands - YES.

Although I need to take it easy for a while, I fully intend to continue with my music career. In late summer of 2011, I added vocals to Mystery's forthcoming album 'The World Is A Game' - which is at the final stages of mixing and will be available in the near future. This is my third collaboration with Michel St-Pere, and Mystery, following 2007's 'Beneath The Veil Of Winter's Face' and 2010's 'One Among The Living'.

So I guess I will, hopefully, see you somewhere down the road...

Blessings,

Benoit David

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Founding YES Bassist CHRIS SQUIRE Diagnosed With Leukemia

Founding YES bassist Chris Squire has been diagnosed with a form of leukemia called acute erythroid leukemia. As a result, he will be forced to miss the group's tour this summer for the first time to receive medical treatment in Phoenix, where he resides. He will be temporarily replaced by Billy Sherwood, who played guitar and keyboards as a touring member of YES in 1994 and as a full member from 1997 to 2000.

"This will be the first time since the band formed in 1968 that YES will have performed live without me," the 67-year-old Squire said in a statement. "But the other guys and myself have agreed that Billy Sherwood will do an excellent job of covering my parts and the show as a whole will deliver the same YES experience that our fans have come to expect over the years."

YES's co-headlining North American tour with TOTO will kick off on August 7 in Mashantucket, Connecticut.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/founding-yes-bassist-chris-squire-diagnosed-with-leukemia/

Edited by luvlz2

• 1 month later...

Sad news indeed. Rest in Peace Chris Squire.

YES was part of the first rock concert I ever saw. They (and Wild Turkey) opened for Black Sabbath at the Swing Auditorium, Friday March 17, 1972. Right from the start, I couldn't take my eyes off Chris Squire and his Rickenbacker. Plus he was a pretty snazzy dresser. When they did "Heart of the Sunrise" Chris' bass runs (and Bruford's drumming) literally blew everyone's mind...at that instant I momentarily forgot about the headliner, Black Sabbath. Chris Squire's bass was a huge reason for why our minds were blown. So, while I wasn't always a consistent Yes fan as their albums varied in consistency ("Tales of Soporific Oceans"? No thank you) and especially as they hemorrhaged members left and right, I always admired Chris Squire's bass playing. Have a listen...

Shocked and saddened to learn of Chris Squire's passing. What an immense talent, as a bassist, composer and singer. R.I.P. Fish, thank you for the decades of great music

P.S. Thanks to Cletus the slack-jawed yokel for posting the 1975 video above - amazing stuff. It shall remain an enduring mystery of the universe: Squire was reportedly "only" six feet tall, but he always looked much bigger, as if he could swat airplanes out of the sky with one of his enormous hands, no problem.

Edited by FireOpal

I have been listening to them all day.

Me too, and today too, this may stretch out into a few days of binge listening. Boy, erythroid leukemia took him fast, very sad.

Edited by luvlz2

Yes with Donovan @ Cobo on the "Going for the One" tour is one of my top 5 seen shows of all-time. "Turn of the Century" was simply perfect. Saw the band 5 times thru the years. The last was front row in '99. Shook Chris's hand after "The Fish". That show gave me a great appreciation for his vocal ability. The band also looked to him for every change. Big dude too ! Rip Chris.

Yes with Donovan @ Cobo on the "Going for the One" tour is one of my top 5 seen shows of all-time. "Turn of the Century" was simply perfect. Saw the band 5 times thru the years. The last was front row in '99. Shook Chris's hand after "The Fish". That show gave me a great appreciation for his vocal ability. The band also looked to him for every change. Big dude too ! Rip Chris.

If you saw Yes in 1977 I assume you also saw Led Zeppelin at the Silverdome? How did those shows compare in your mind? The 1977 Yes tour hit Los Angeles months after the '77 Zeppelin tour, so when Squire pulled out that triple-bass monster, I had to think he was trying to outdo Jimmy's double-neck and Jonesy's triple-neck acoustic guitars, haha.

After missing Yes on the 1974, 75 and 76 tours, the 1977 tour was my first time seeing Yes since the "Close to the Edge" tour. Then it was another seven years until seeing them on the 1984 tour (Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman had left the band again)...ugh, those awful outfits. That was my final Yes concert. Never saw any of the endless variations and reunions.

And of course Chris was a big dude...you'd be big, too, in these boots!

10.jpg

I only saw Yes once on the Union tour. I think it was 1991.

8 PC lineup

Chris Squire

Jon Anderson

Steve Howe

Trevor Rabin

Bill Bruford

Alan White

Tony Kaye

Rick Wakeman

The Union album was pretty lame, but the live show was awesome. Highlight was Awaken. Perfect. Bad point was there was almost too much talent up there.. If that makes sense.

For an arena, Cobo shows were very intimate...especially compared to The Sulverdome. Not even a fair comparison. Yes was my first Cobo show, and left me with a great feeling about what a concert could be. Saw the Tormato tour the next year in the round....and The Union tour, also in the round. I know exactly what you mean Chase. There was a lot going on up there. The album was indeed a mail-in. The best show might have been ABWH...which Squire didn't participate in. Always felt something was missing without Wakeman.

For an arena, Cobo shows were very intimate...especially compared to The Sulverdome. Not even a fair comparison. Yes was my first Cobo show, and left me with a great feeling about what a concert could be. Saw the Tormato tour the next year in the round....and The Union tour, also in the round. I know exactly what you mean Chase. There was a lot going on up there. The album was indeed a mail-in. The best show might have been ABWH...which Squire didn't participate in. Always felt something was missing without Wakeman.

Yes a lot going on at times, but also spaces where they were trying to not step on each others toes and wound up not doing much. It was kind of weird at times and times where it clicked real well.

Rick Wakeman and Trevor Rabin were on fire this night. Steve Howe was great but seemed to be playing it safe.

Alan White and Bill Bruford seemed to have things worked out well where White was the drum muscle on a mostly acoustic kit and Bruford was more the enhancer on an all electronic kit. I still remember Bruford playing only cymbals on Heart Of The Sunrise.

Tony Kaye was his safe solid self and Jon Anderson was the new agey master of ceremonies standing in the center of the round.

And last but most.... Chris Squire looked like he was having the time of his life even from where I was sitting.

This was at The Centrum in Worcester Mass (now known as the DCU Center) and it was in the round.. I'll be honest the round was a little distracting at times.. I remember during Lift Me Up, Tony Kaye looked like he was hanging on for dear life.

Edited by the chase