BBC Interviews with Page/Plant

chillumpuffer

This pretty much says it here:

But fans will be disappointed if they are hoping there will be another one. Page says: “I’m sure people would love to hear it. I’m not the one to be asking, I don’t sing.”

Plant, however, is unequivocal. The chances of the band performing live again are, he says rolling his eyes, “zero”. So fans will have to content themselves with the reissued albums. And Robert Plant has one piece of advice for them. “These things aren’t to study. They’re to turn up very loud and say, hey, once upon a time, everything was just as easy as this.”

Well for my part I don't quite understand why Plant is so against anything to do with it. Yes he has his own career,

but is he really that embarrassed by the body of work? What would be wrong if they got together in a pub, unannounced,

for charity or something. No tour, no fan fare, just do a few numbers, doesn't even have to be they're stuff. Just three great

musicians. I know there would be schedules to work out. But no pressures, no follow up shows, no annoucement.

Plant has moved on, ok I get this, and I like his stuff. But don't quite get why he seems to be so down on his Zep contributions.

Yes it is what it was for the time, but Unledded, with it's different versions was great too. So I'm a little confused that he'll

still play the songs in different versions with others, but not with them.

What would be wrong if they got together in a pub, unannounced,for charity or something. No tour, no fan fare, just do a few numbers, doesn't even have to be they're stuff. Just three great

musicians.

What would be the point? Do you really think that is what Jimmy wants? What would you as a fan get out of a one-off in a pub? Do you really think it would end there or would everyone on this board be demanding a world tour even those who thought a one off in a pub would suffice? Everything must come to an end and I think the O2 was a pretty good show to end with.

Robert had started moving on even before Led Zep disbanded after Bonzo's passing. He was fed up with Jimmy's addiction,

he was trying to cope with immense emotions after losing Karac, Bonzo was a mess, and the musical direction of the Band,

once so clear and focused, had become a muddled and disjointed train wreck.

So it should be to no ones surprise that Robert has easily distanced himself from past glories these days, he's been doing it

since late 1977.

This reunion question is going on all throughout the rock world. the page, plant, jones managers could easily request the media to avoid the reunion question. It went on with the promotion of the Ahmet show too. It's part of the rock music business now and seems to be a sales leveraging technique...and ofcourse a common sense legitimate question. It's annoying for serious fans, but it's good for sales, I guess, especially when a band is selling its catalogue for a 3rd time.

If there is ever another spinal tap movie, they could do a hilarious routine all about rock band reunions. Like a rock journalist asking, so you are never playing with the band again...is that never forever...or just never for this year? Or a scene of a rock band rehearsing for they're 5th reunion...

I think the RP question is obviously the key to them doing more shows.

I think the answer really lies in the O2 show. I'm sure most here have the blueray and CDs. I've listened to them quite a bit and, clearly, RPs voice is not what it was. No one would reasonably expect it to be. RPs contemporaries could not keep up with him when they were in their 20s, much less a 60 year old man. The plain fact of the matter is that RP has a very difficult time replicating what he used to do. I think there's a great deal of pride there. Page said more than once that they wanted to stand up and be accounted and that was a huge motivation for the O2 show. To go on a tour, RP would have to do that over and over again, and frankly, I don't think he can physically do it.

As you listen to the O2 show, it is clear as the show goes on that RP's voice is getting tired. It is very clear on Rock n Roll, which I think is last.

I do think there's some legitimate reason's RP doesn't want to do this other than just trying to separate himself from the Zep legacy.

Robert had started moving on even before Led Zep disbanded after Bonzo's passing. He was fed up with Jimmy's addiction,

he was trying to cope with immense emotions after losing Karac, Bonzo was a mess, and the musical direction of the Band,

once so clear and focused, had become a muddled and disjointed train wreck.

So it should be to no ones surprise that Robert has easily distanced himself from past glories these days, he's been doing it

since late 1977.

I agree with this. I've always said that when Bonzo died, Plant heaved a sigh of relief. No more could he be talked into "just one more tour or album". I think he's very proud of what he did with Zep, but feels that to try and continue on as Zep would only be a failure, as they are all no longer young men.

Led Zeppelin is the most significant thing by far that Robert Plant will ever do with his life. But, it wasn't enough for him. My analysis is that, due to his personality, he wanted more attention. Jimmy always got a lot of attention, he's consistently ranked among the top 10 rock guitarists ever. Robert probably wanted to do acts where he would get more attention. He was by far a bigger star than Alison Krauss and in his more recent things, I haven't even been familiar with the other musicians. So. Robert gets to be the star. I find it sad. It may be that the time is past, probably for Jimmy as well as Robert because although Robert's voice isn't what it used to be, playing the guitar is an athletic activity and I seriously wonder if Jimmy could play some of those Zep tunes today. 2007 was almost 7 years ago. They should have done more concerts in 2008 and they didn't because of Robert's issues. They should have at least come to New York and maybe Los Angeles. If I were living in the Midwest I would fly to New York or LA to see Led Zeppelin; wouldn't you? I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy has never forgiven Robert over this. As for trauma from the past, that's what therapy is for. I don't buy the idea that Robert needed to distance himself from Zep because of the bad things that happened during that time.

I don't think he wanted more attention, he was after all the front man, and got plenty of attention. I think he just wanted to get away from the whole crazy scene it had become, and give a try to his own stuff. That's all cool. It's the little slights he keeps thowing out ( he was to enthusiastic, he's embarressed by it, etc.) Well he's not to embarressed by it to do it live on his tours.

What would be the point? Do you really think that is what Jimmy wants? What would you as a fan get out of a one-off in a pub? Do you really think it would end there or would everyone on this board be demanding a world tour even those who thought a one off in a pub would suffice? Everything must come to an end and I think the O2 was a pretty good show to end with.

Black and Gold.... Me as a fan doesn't have to get anything out of it, others would. Does Jimmy want it? Well he's gotten on stage with others and done a song or three, so couldn't say if he'd be game. And who cares what everyone on this board want from them, tuff for us.

clw: Even if they did a tour I know it would be no where near me,they would have to do a 10 yr tour to satsify us all

This is true. They'd never get off the merry go round like that. So don't.

I just sometimes feel Plant is still using the whole Zep/no Zep thing for publicity. Jimmy gave his answer.....I'm not the singer.

It just leaves a bad taste in one's mouth/brain.

Just to pop up somewhere, on occasion, and do something would probably increase the interest in the older and newer music, and help sales.

But of course possibly increase the frequency of the question.........Will Led Zeppelin tour again?

Well here's me for hoping, against probability, that they will all hook up again.........in whatever capacity.

They are just so talented people, getting older, and I understand it won't be the same ( neither am I anymore) but that's all ok with me.

In the meantime I hope they all keep putting something out there.

Robert Plant doesnt want to tour with Zeppelin because a) he doesnt want to play to huge stadiums and try to recreate something that he and the band did when they were in their twenties and B) he doesnt want the media attention that a Zep tour would bring. I think these are pretty reasonable reasons for not wanting to tour, and its a shame people have to keep asking the same old question, time and time again. The O2 show was a great ending to their career as a group - a top quality performance for a good cause. People need to let it go now.

Archived