Tour over Europe 1980 best of

godzilla777

Okay, okay! I have the boots! I'm not a big fan of '77 either!

I don't think there are any GREAT shows, from start to finish, from '77 - '80. Good shows, yes, great moments, DEFO!! but no GREAT shows...

I think we all know Zep weren't the band they used to be after Earls Court 1975, and even that was patchy!

I always thought the Tour Over Europe didn't get the respect it deserved. I find some of the shows very good, I like the trimmed down songs (no long solos and what not). Unfortunately it was really a warmup exercise for the planned US Tour, so some of the shows are sort of bland. There are some jewels (heck, the fact they would open with pretty raucous versions of Train Kept a Rollin was pretty amazing)

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand how some fans dislike the 77' tour so much. From some of the really good quality boots I've listened to over and over again, I think there was some really dark magic/chemistry happening there. Particularly June 21st and 23rd (which may be the most well known of the tour). If you think those shows were only GOOD, I don't know what classifies as Great.

Hell, even some shows from the infamous 71'-72' tours didnt have the same charm as those from 77'. But that's just me.......

As for the 1980 tour, I thought it had it's moments. I found Bonham to be less enthused, but still playing the role he was known for, with a little less flair.

I agree with members that mention Zurich and Frankfurt. I haven't had a chance to listen to very many from 80' (maybe 7 or 8 shows, entirely) but even in the worst of times...they came together when it counted most. Even as Page was clearly suffering, he could still lift the band with whatever solo he found in his back pocket on a particular night. Also, to add, I found Plants voice much improved compared to the majority of the 73'-75' tours. Jones was solid throughout, regardless of circumstances.

Edited by Rock Historian

Train Kept A Rollin' 1980/06/17

Nobody's Fault But Mine 1980/06/30
Black Dog 1980/06/29
In the Evening 1980/07/03
The Rain Song 1980/06/20
Hot Dog 1980/06/18
All My Love 1980/06/29
Trampled Under Foot 1980/07/07
Since I've Been Loving You 1980/06/23
Achilles' Last Stand 1980/07/05
White Summer/Black Mountain Side 1980/06/29
Kashmir 1980/06/30
Stairway to Heaven 1980/07/07
Rock and Roll 1980/07/02
Heartbreaker 1980/06/29
Communication Breakdown 1980/07/03
Money (That's What I Want) 1980/06/30
Whole Lotta Love 1980/07/05

Train Kept A Rollin' 1980/06/17

Nobody's Fault But Mine 1980/06/30
Black Dog 1980/06/29
In the Evening 1980/07/03
The Rain Song 1980/06/20
Hot Dog 1980/06/18
All My Love 1980/06/29
Trampled Under Foot 1980/07/07
Since I've Been Loving You 1980/06/23
Achilles' Last Stand 1980/07/05
White Summer/Black Mountain Side 1980/06/29
Kashmir 1980/06/30
Stairway to Heaven 1980/07/07
Rock and Roll 1980/07/02
Heartbreaker 1980/06/29
Communication Breakdown 1980/07/03
Money (That's What I Want) 1980/06/30
Whole Lotta Love 1980/07/05

Ah Sue, we can always trust you to make a great post can't we? Haha :yourock:

I actually think the 1977 tour was better than the 1975 US Tour. There were always special moments one each tour that will leave us with the normal discussion on wich year it was better. Every time Zeppelin played in LA they rocked the place. I really like 1980 tour. My only problem with it is Page's guitar sound. Too muffy and normally you can't understand what's going on and what he's doing, be overall I like every show.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think the 1977 tour was better than the 1975 US Tour. There were always special moments one each tour that will leave us with the normal discussion on wich year it was better. Every time Zeppelin played in LA they rocked the place. I really like 1980 tour. My only problem with it is Page's guitar sound. Too muffy and normally you can't understand what's going on and what he's doing, be overall I like every show.

Totally agree, Page's guitar tone was better on the 77 tour, Robert's voice was so much better, Jonesy (as I always say) is always good, and same with Bonzo.

Now that's pretty damn harsh! Parts of the tour is pretty damn amazing, I put Zurich up there with some of the best from the 77 tour, easily

Zurich is easily one of the weaker shows from '80. A few of the German shows easily surpass Zurich.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no "Best" Of 1980 - only "bad" and "even worse".... !!

It 'absolutely true ... unfortunately, so to speak, the fun always have the propensity to "magnify" any act of their heroes, or at least those who have participated in these concerts will certainly have a memory dictated by the juvenile period, so .. everything looks great - personally, although not involved in these concerts, but listening to the various bands around even on youtube, I have to note that not all spent a good time, even for the known events of dependence page - i have to tell the truth are concerts, ugly, both in the lineup, but more importantly, because it lacks the essential element is the desire to have fun on stage -

• 10 months later...

It 'absolutely true ... unfortunately, so to speak, the fun always have the propensity to "magnify" any act of their heroes, or at least those who have participated in these concerts will certainly have a memory dictated by the juvenile period, so .. everything looks great - personally, although not involved in these concerts, but listening to the various bands around even on youtube, I have to note that not all spent a good time, even for the known events of dependence page - i have to tell the truth are concerts, ugly, both in the lineup, but more importantly, because it lacks the essential element is the desire to have fun on stage -

Senza offesa ma il prossimo post solo post in Italiano e quelli non conosce possono correre attraverso software di conversione. Il tuo post non ha senso.

No offense but next post just post in Italian and those not fluent can run through conversion software. Your post made no sense.

The only boot I have from the 80' tour is Vienna and except for the shitty All My Love, the rest of the concert is excellent and inspired. I have been trying to score a Frankfurt, Zurich, or Berlin. If anyone has these please lend a brother a hand and PM me.

Edited by IpMan

Senza offesa ma il prossimo post solo post in Italiano e quelli non conosce possono correre attraverso software di conversione. Il tuo post non ha senso.

No offense but next post just post in Italian and those not fluent can run through conversion software. Your post made no sense.

What I got from it is this, He agrees with the post he quoted, The tour sucked because the band wasn't in that good a shape but fans will excuse that for the most part and he also says that an essential element for a good concert is for the band to fun onstage which isn't happening on this tour.

I always thought the Tour Over Europe didn't get the respect it deserved. I find some of the shows very good, I like the trimmed down songs (no long solos and what not). Unfortunately it was really a warmup exercise for the planned US Tour, so some of the shows are sort of bland. There are some jewels (heck, the fact they would open with pretty raucous versions of Train Kept a Rollin was pretty amazing)

Was it specifically a warm-up for the North American tour that was to have followed? When the European tour was planned, I'm under the impression it was more to ease Percy into getting back on the road; at that point in time (Spring 1980), he was pretty adamant about not returning to the United States, not after the events of '77. I'm pretty certain Peter Grant had one eye on Europe and fingers crossed behind his back with the other eye on Zep's biggest touring market if all went well by July. As it happened, it went as well as expected and Percy subsequently conceded to the North American tour, albeit with the well-documented conditions attached... alas, it was never to be...

I've gained a newfound appreciation for the Tour Over Europe of late, I used to think it was the sound of a band in the throes of disintegration, but when you watch and listen to the recordings - both audio and 8mm film - of some of that tour's shows, you clearly see a band enjoying themselves and still getting a kick out of playing together, sure both Bonzo and Pagey were in pretty poor physical shape at that point, and which clearly had a detrimental effect on both men's playing on some nights, but the spirit was still strong even if the flesh was weak. The band may have trimmed the onstage fat built up over the 1970's, but as the 8mm footage from that tour demonstrates, they were still determined to put on a visually engaging show; the lighting set-up on that tour was one of the best of any LZ tour; spectacular yet tasteful.

It's sad and lamentable that the North American tour never happened, it would have been a mighty interesting point in the band's history, but I just can't shake the feeling that had it went ahead, Bonzo wouldn't have returned home alive; separated from his beloved family again for an entire month, depressed and anxious, and with all the temptations of the road at his disposal, I think his drinking would have escalated further to kamikaze levels, and he would have been found dead in his hotel room... either way, his days were numbered, as was the band's.

I give much credit to all who try to analyze this tour in any sensible fashion. It is true that the band does sound better from audience

tapes. And thanks to Sue for the best performance list. But in most of the posts members/fans are trying very hard to present a rather

successful tour. Some said it was just a "warmup" for the states, but IMO Page and Bonzo were hardly in shape for any tour. Had they

played the way they played in Europe, the critics would have torn them apart. And Plant could have used the critic response in addition

to the major drug/alcohol issues affecting the playing of the band to finally leave. Sorry to be be negative, but this scenario was entirely

likely.

But in most of the posts members/fans are trying very hard to present a rather successful tour. Some said it was just a "warmup" for the states, but IMO Page and Bonzo were hardly in shape for any tour. Had they played the way they played in Europe, the critics would have torn them apart. And Plant could have used the critic response in addition to the major drug/alcohol issues affecting the playing of the band to finally leave. Sorry to be be negative, but this scenario was entirely likely.

It was a successful tour by all accounts, which is why Plant then agreed to the North American tour later that year. No-one argues that either Bonzo or Jimmy were in peak condition, they clearly weren't (by any measure), and a lot of Jimmy's playing on that tour sounds akin to someone strangling a cat, but the will was there to continue, and Jonesy has stated that the band felt the tour was "a rebirth" of sorts, that they felt optimistic about the future having gone through all they had in the previous few years, emerging somewhat the worse for wear but still standing, still intact. And as far as critics go, some tore apart the band no matter what they did...

I really don't believe LZ were going to last much longer anyway even if the North Amercan tour had went ahead, either Bonzo or Jimmy was going to die at some point in the immediate short-term (as happened with the former) unless they cleaned up, the chances of either man surviving the planned shows in 1980-81 and making it to the recording studio for the follow-up to ITTOD in late '81 were frankly pretty low... and so it went.

The Copenhagen warm-up shows in late July 1979, along with the first Knebworth show on August 4th, show that the band could still deliver the goods big-time when they put their minds to the task, the trouble is that once the Knebworth shows were over, the band seemingly went to ground again, whereas they should have played some more shows later that year to stay active and promote their just-released new album. I know Plant was reluctant to tour again at that point, but even something like a Japanese tour that would have lasted a mere ten days or so would have been a good idea, and would have meant they might not have been so rusty when the Tour Over Europe began the following June...