Favorite/Best Achilles Last Stand?

So I've been going back listening to a lot of later Zep shows and with that of course comes the VERY good set lists of 77-80 and I was wondering what live rendition of ALS y'all prefer! Been watching a lot of 1979/08/04 lately and I quite like that, 1977/06/21 comes to mind as well, what do you guys think?

4/27 1977, 4/30 1977, 5/21 1977, 6/21 1977, 6/22 1977, 6/23 1977, 6/25 1977, 8/4 1979... And that's about that from my favourite live versions of Achilles.

Edited by Gandolf

I always liked the version from the night after in Frankfurt. (6/30/1980) Seems like they slowed it down a bit from the usual hyperspeed live versions. Maybe its just my boot runs slow lol? Anyways it sounds awesome.

just to clarify i was kidding my boot doesn't run slow :blush: check out this version its killer.

6/23/77 For Me Page just is so loose but also quite tight Plant nails the vocals Jones keeps the classic gallop the bass and the absolute highlight is Bonham just unbelievable it is one of three songs where even when im air drumming to it im absolutely exhausted the other two are Trampled Underfoot and Moby Dick

6/23/77 For Me Page just is so loose but also quite tight Plant nails the vocals Jones keeps the classic gallop the bass and the absolute highlight is Bonham just unbelievable it is one of three songs where even when im air drumming to it im absolutely exhausted the other two are Trampled Underfoot and Moby Dick

yup, The best performance of this song hands down. June 23rd 1977

Actually I would argue that the greatest version of Achilles was played 37 years ago today, on May 22nd in Fort Worth, Texas. Bonham outplays himself, even surpassing his later performances in Inglewood. He also adds many variations towards the latter half that he would rarely play again. Just three days later on May 25 in Landover he returned to a more traditional performance of the song before ratcheting back up at The Forum.

Edited by ListenToThis

So I've been going back listening to a lot of later Zep shows and with that of course comes the VERY good set lists of 77-80 and I was wondering what live rendition of ALS y'all prefer! Been watching a lot of 1979/08/04 lately and I quite like that, 1977/06/21 comes to mind as well, what do you guys think?

LA '77 are the best. PERIOD. '79 or '80 don't even come close.

Actually I would argue that the greatest version of Achilles was played 37 years ago today, on May 22nd in Fort Worth, Texas. Bonham outplays himself, even surpassing his later performances in Inglewood. He also adds many variations towards the latter half that he would rarely play again. Just three days later on May 25 in Landover he returned to a more traditional performance of the song before ratcheting back up at The Forum.

You got to love the beginning of Achilles at the Landover show hahaha or at least the May 26th show.

Edited by ZeppMan93

• 4 months later...

You rang...

I firmly believe 6/25 is a subpar performance from Bonham. He is clearly off with regard to energy and his playing is a 1/4 step or 1/2 step slow. This is why SA and NQ from this night never get off the ground. I'll be the first to admit that the OOT is the longest known Forum performance (the recording of 6/26 is incomplete) and is an impressive version and the end of Kashmir is quite strong, but overall he is not playing like he should. Plant comments twice the next night that on 6/26 its "nice to have John Bonham back with us" and then later "Bonham was suffering from another case of food poisoning".

ALS from 6/25 lacks the incessant creative fills and overall aggressive pace of the other Forum version. I'm not saying its bad, his playing is still much better than San Diego. But he's off. Has everyone besides Sue listened to 6/22 and 6/26? 6/25 is way way off from those, not to mention 6/21 and 6/23.