jim6225

Regarding STH and Bach's Bourree, the similarities are thus: Page took the root note from each arpeggio progression, changed they key, and formed the first arpeggio progression to STH and went from there. This is where he gets the "poor mans Bourree" from. So, essentially it is a very simplistic for of Bourree but in a different key. Believe me, Bourree is hard as fuck to play on a six string as the music was made for a 13 course baroque lute with 24 strings. So, if you YouTube Bourree on guitar, you will most likely see some Chinese dude playing all four movements of the piece as his right hand is moving all over the neck with his fingers in almost impossible positions, added to that the plucking with the right. It is a beastly piece to play much less master on guitar. However if you can play Bourree, all four movements, Steve Vai will magically appear and wash your balls out of respect.

BTW, I will shoot myself in the dick before I buy any Zep song with Randy California's name on the credits. Fuck Taurus.

Regarding STH and Bach's Bourree, the similarities are thus: Page took the root note from each arpeggio progression, changed they key, and formed the first arpeggio progression to STH and went from there. This is where he gets the "poor mans Bourree" from. So, essentially it is a very simplistic for of Bourree but in a different key. Believe me, Bourree is hard as fuck to play on a six string as the music was made for a 13 course baroque lute with 24 strings. So, if you YouTube Bourree on guitar, you will most likely see some Chinese dude playing all four movements of the piece as his right hand is moving all over the neck with his fingers in almost impossible positions, added to that the plucking with the right. It is a beastly piece to play much less master on guitar. However if you can play Bourree, all four movements, Steve Vai will magically appear and wash your balls out of respect.

BTW, I will shoot myself in the dick before I buy any Zep song with Randy California's name on the credits. Fuck Taurus.

:hysterical: this is one awesome and hilarous post. I will also refuse to buy anything with RC's credits on it, should it come to that. Luckily, I already have IV on vinyl and CDs in various manifestations. Fuck Taurus, indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I am skeptical about what I was told honestly I don't know enough about music to judge but waiting this long seems ridiculous if they have a case or think they do

Is their a statue of limitations for civil suits? Clare Torry sued Pink Floyd (and won) over her contribution to The Great Gig in the Sky over thirty years after the release of Dark Side of the Moon. Of course, that case was in the UK and their civil laws are probably different.

Is their a statue of limitations for civil suits? Clare Torry sued Pink Floyd (and won) over her contribution to The Great Gig in the Sky over thirty years after the release of Dark Side of the Moon. Of course, that case was in the UK and their civil laws are probably different.

Clare Torry sang a major part in that song,just like those kids in Another Brick in the Wall.On Taurus its just a few bars(not very long)

Clare Torry sang a major part in that song,just like those kids in Another Brick in the Wall.On Taurus its just a few bars(not very long)

The kids in ABITW pt2 cannot be compared with Clare Torry, her contribution to TGGITS was some major improvising, all her own idea.. The kids were just singing what they were asked..

• 2 weeks later...

Imprtant not to blame the departed RC for all this -It is just other money grubbers no doubt seeing dollar signs when remasters were announced. Hopefully to be over and forgotten soon...

From what I've read, Randy California was miffed that Zep didn't offer him any financial compensation; at least this is what his mother claimed. Also, aren't his heirs among the the plaintiffs in this law suit?

Totally Ot but does anyone hear slight bits of STH in tangerine...this seems like ideas Page had in his head for while...

Sitting here listening to Tangerine on a loop, the key and use of acoustic guitar are resemblances I'm picking up.

You start off with the strummed A minor - G - D chords in Tangerine, the same chords all feature in the intro and later strummed parts of Stairway. I don't think in terms of what is played there is much similarity. Stairway has minor and major sevenths etc and starts off with a finger picked arpeggio with the well known chromatic descending bassline, I don't hear anything like that in Tangerine.

Mood wise I can see the resemblance, songs in the same key are often like that, there are only so many chords that work together in a given key and some orders of those chords (progressions) sound better than others, so the variations available are not huge really.

I'm with this guy, there is no way I will buy a future recording with Randy in the credits, FUCK TAURUS - one song is an ascending riff while the other song is a descending riff, the songs are not the same, they are in opposite direction. The Led Zeppelin bashers have been allowed to play this stupid game for too long!

^To be fair, it's Randy California's estate, not the man himself. I read somewhere he was quoted as saying about the whole Taurus/STH thing, "Let him (Jimmy) have it!"

Oh, and the band is called Spirit, the song is Taurus. :)

Aww, fuck em both...Spirit & Taurus! Regarding Randy California claiming , "let him have it," fuck him too! The lament bass structure is not his to give as it is a basic structure used in numerous songs throughout the centuries. Also, I believe if the man truly believed Zep nicked anything his ass would have been running, not walking but running to the local courthouse and filing. Rich, poor, does not matter, filing fees in 1971 were what, $5? Zeppelin were on the rise, Stairway was a goddamn monster and ANY copyright lawyer would have taken that on contingent if there had really been a case at all.

I am still pissed about the Jake Holmes, D&C bullshit, that douche never should have been given a credit. Apart from the title the songs are completely different. Sure Jimmy played the song with the same lyrics as the Holmes tune but by the time he recorded it with Zeppelin the lyrics were totally different, the riffing and melody totally different. I guess Plant singing, "I've been Dazed and Confused" was enough to be considered copyright infringement because outside of those five initial words, the songs differ completely.

Ok, rant over, fuck Spirit!

Edited by IpMan