jim6225

On 6/19/2016 at 0:38 AM, TheGreatOne said:

There has not been any sightings of Page & Plant wandering around LA ? Or seen eating at a restaurant ?   It's understandable they best to be out of the spotlight or away from press till court is over.

Wondering what they doing ?  Jamming out together in the hotel room; Plant has a harmonica and Page an acoustic jamming and eating Chinese takeout.

Page was reportedly doing some record shopping on Sunday in LA.

On 19/06/2016 at 6:18 AM, Strider said:

I knew my post would be unpopular. Frankly, the only opinion of value at the moment is the jury's...and the judge's.

I am not here to play fanboy. I like to look at certain issues from the standpoint of a dispassionate objective party. The funny thing is, we both share the same feelings about what this lawsuit means and the stranglehold on musical creativity it would impose should Spirit win the case.

But I seem to be the only one here who thinks it is a bad idea to run away from the idea that Led Zeppelin knew of Spirit before writing "Stairway to Heaven". I believe it should not matter. Do you see the Rolling Stones claiming ignorance of Chuck Berry, even though half their songs are based on his riffs?

There is no connection between Jimmy and Jones admitting they heard "Fresh Garbage" and their writing "Stairway to Heaven". One does not have anything to do with the other. With all the interviews Jimmy has given in the past where he mentions Spirit, a halfway decent lawyer would be able to take their current testimony and twist it enough to cause doubt in the jury's mind. Jones never went to a rock concert? Ok...I suppose that is feasible. But any non-fanboy could see how that might seem hard to believe. 

Instead of acting afraid of any mention of Spirit, they should confront it head-on, secure in the knowledge that "Stairway to Heaven"'s greatness has nothing to do with "Taurus". Randy California does not own those notes, as Led Zeppelin has adequately proven by all the prior music samples exhibited. By going out of their way to disavow any knowledge of Spirit's existence, when previous interviews and performances suggest at least some awareness, it may give the jury the impression that Jimmy and Jones were not forthcoming in their testimony.

This.

You never know what will stick in the mind of a jury, but if they think they are being misled, you better believe it will colour their opinion.  I have only read about this case from afar (and not in detail), but what stuck out to me was this part of it.  A hint of dishonesty can turn a good case into a bad one very quickly.  The apparent inconsistencies I have read about, between interviews and testimony under oath, are troubling to my mind.

19 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Just to clarify, are you saying that Spirit's drummer testified that Taurus wasn't ever played live? If that is the case, then it's odd that it was never reported in any of these stories because that would be a big revelation.

And that's awesome about meeting Plant in the bathroom. That's a story I'd tell to everyone I know or ever meet. Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I pissed with Robert Plant? Great stuff.

Jay Ferguson was the _vocalist_ of Spirit. He sometimes played percussion.

20 hours ago, Mercurious said:

Alright, interesting note:  the author of "Fresh Garbage" is Jay Ferguson, Spirit's lead singer, also in charge of percussive flourishes like the Latin drums we hear in "Fresh Garbage."  In fact, Ferguson wrote most of Spirit's first album. "Taurus" is the only song with Randy Wolfe's name on it, and Mark Andes the bass player contributes on two of the 11 tracks. LINK album notes here.  So where oh where is Ferguson in all this?  Why have we not heard from him?   He's alive and well, scoring the music for "NCIS: Los Angeles", according to wikipedia.   Like Jimmy, he's friends with Joe Walsh or was at one point.  I'd be very interested to hear what the singer who wrote 90% of Spirit's debut album has to say about this lawsuit.  

Recent interview clip with Jay about the lawsuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nimD1T7VDdI

He doesn't say much.

Jay played keyboards with Joe Walsh during the late seventies, and Joe played on many of Jays solo-albums. Alice Cooper recently covered Spirits 'I Got A Line On You', Walsh played on it.

Thanks for posting this Walter.  I was just about bring these over off of @LedZepNews twitter feed 
Nice job!  :) 

Through out the trial Malofiy has been the equivalent of a jack-ass.  Zeppelin's legal team must be
picking up some kind of vibe from the Judge that has them feeling  confident that the judge could
side with them.  Why else ask this for this request?  I hope Judge Klausner grants them this.

15 minutes ago, KellyGirl said:

Thanks for posting this Walter.  I was just about bring these over off of @LedZepNews twitter feed 
Nice job!  :) 

Through out the trial Malofiy has been the equivalent of a jack-ass.  Zeppelin's legal team must be
picking up some kind of vibe from the Judge that has them feeling  confident that the judge could
side with them.  Why else ask this for this request?  I hope Judge Klausner grants them this.

I'm no lawyer, but I think these kind of requests are pretty common. Defense lawyers are going to take every shot they can to get their client off. In this case they may actually have a valid claim, but I'd guess even O.J.'s lawyers requested a dismissal due to lack of evidence.

2 hours ago, AnotherNewMember said:

Recent interview clip with Jay about the lawsuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nimD1T7VDdI

He doesn't say much.

Jay played keyboards with Joe Walsh during the late seventies, and Joe played on many of Jays solo-albums. Alice Cooper recently covered Spirits 'I Got A Line On You', Walsh played on it.

According to Jay, Led Zeppelin recorded Fresh Garbage but didn't release it it. Really? Get your facts straight Jay.

On 6/19/2016 at 0:44 PM, TheGreatOne said:

I'll guess we'll see if there really is a New World Agenda.   So many drastic policy changes in the world, would be interesting comparing this to Brexit and Zeppelin.    Trial fails for Zeppelin and Brexit fails and follows the stripping of individual ideas

Were you wearing your tinfoil hat when writing that post? ;)

3 hours ago, Walter said:

NOOOO! If they dismiss today, the boys leave L.A. too soon. :(

Besides, the comedy from Malfoy is too hilarious to stop now. What a clown.

7 minutes ago, Strider said:

NOOOO! If they dismiss today, the boys leave L.A. too soon. :(

Besides, the comedy from Malfoy is too hilarious to stop now. What a clown.

In a way, it would be better if the judge did not dismiss it, provided the jury rules in favor of Zeppelin. If the judge dismissed it, then theoretically whoever does own the copyright could get their paperwork in order and file a new lawsuit, whereas if the jury issues a ruling then it's a done deal forever. Plus, and I admit this doesn't much matter, if the judge dismissed it then people are still going to say they stole it but "got off on a technicality", but if a jury says no they didn't steal it, it just has more of an "officialness" to it, if you know what I mean. But then again, even then, people will just say the jury got it wrong. As they say, haters will hate. :)

I don't see it being dismissed - but if it was -  I'm spinning it into something positive if Judge
Klausner rules in Zeppelins favor. 

Jimmy Page,  Robert Plant and John Paul Jones should have never set foot in a Los Angeles,
CA courtroom.  Insanity I tell you,   so for me if the Judge says "shows over people..go home",  
than I think I'm going to look at it like this is his little way of saying he made a boo-boo to
even let it get this far.   There was never a question as to who the writers of   Stairway To
Heaven
 are,  and to me the Judge would be admitting  that.   If Judge K  really  believed
Michael Skidmore and company had a leg to stand on,   he would let this farce continue on.  
The court  gave  'Spirit'   a fair shot.   They presented their evidence,   but somewhere
Klausner could have realized this was a colossal mistake.   He just needed to wake the hell up!  
<------That right there is my fangirl theory and I'm sticking to it.   #Fruitloop  
#UnicornsAndHappyThoughts  #RainbowsHeartsKittensAndPuppies #FreeBeer
#ChicagoCubsWorldSeriesChamps2016  #ZeppelinReunion     whoa that last one I got a little
silly there.  
:banana: Must be hot weather and red wine HA! :P

My above comment are only geared towards  the Judge IF  he  tosses this shit out.  I don't
know whats going through the mind of 8 people who don't know who Led Zeppelin are.  Other
than they must be bored and lonely living under a rock.  They don't have to like Zeppelin,  but
to not know of them and be able to sit on a jury is craaazy.

Oh and yes haters will hate.  There will  and always has been underlying jealousy as far as Led
Zeppelin goes.  That's fine with me.  Let them be green with their back handed compliments.

-_-

How can the judge NOT throw this case out if the plaintiffs cannot present the copyright which is being contested? The very fact that they never presented the copyright is just nuts, you would have to be the Mr. Magoo of lawyers to forget the single most important procedural detail of your case. Just keeps getting more and more insane as the days go by.

On 6/18/2016 at 8:03 PM, KellyGirl said:

Is there any particular reason why Robert going on the stand is a question mark for the
defense? Is he some kind of liability if he opens his mouth?  I would have thought he would
have already testified, but I kind of question what possibly he can offer.  I only ask because
so far both sides seem content on having him be a courtroom decoration.

I'll take a stab at this...or, as Val Kilmer would say: "I'm your huckleberry."

Maybe the defense is worried that the jury would be confused by Robert Plant's sense of humour and his tendency to wander in the linguistic garden. Robert is his own man...he is going to tell it like it is and in his own inimitable way.

How many times has Robert given an interview and people come to the forum all indignant over some perceived slight or insult made by Robert, only to discover that they just misunderstood Robert's impish humour?

The jury is made up of four women and four men but what is this about them not speaking English? Where has this been confirmed? This is the Federal Court of the United States. Shouldn't English be a prerequisite? The trial is conducted in English and yet we are supposed to believe they would have a jury of non-English speaking people? Does that even make sense?

25 minutes ago, Strider said:

Maybe the defense is worried that the jury would be confused by Robert Plant's sense of humour and his tendency to wander in the linguistic garden. Robert is his own man...he is going to tell it like it is and in his own inimitable way.

How many times has Robert given an interview and people come to the forum all indignant over some perceived slight or insult made by Robert, only to discover that they just misunderstood Robert's impish humour?

The jury is made up of four women and four men but what is this about them not speaking English? Where has this been confirmed? This is the Federal Court of the United States. Shouldn't English be a prerequisite? The trial is conducted in English and yet we are supposed to believe they would have a jury of non-English speaking people? Does that even make sense?

It makes as much sense as a person going to a Federal Court and "seemingly" forgetting his wallet to provide identification to enter said Courtroom.  Now that is a prerequisite.  As you supposedly claimed you "forgot" your wallet when you just acknowledged that speaking English is also a prerequisite.

How can I believe what you type, when it is such a basic and inherent task as taking your wallet whenever you leave your own abode?  Money, Identification, etc...

Is there a difference on this to you?  

Are you also very fluent in Spanish?

Please tell Me (at least) what makes sense to you...

Edited by kingzoso

2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

It makes as much sense as a person going to a Federal Court and "seemingly" forgetting his wallet to provide identification to enter said Courtroom.  Now that is a prerequisite.  As you supposedly claimed you "forgot" your wallet when you just acknowledged that speaking English is also a prerequisite.

How can I believe what you type, when it is such a basic and inherent task as taking your wallet whenever you leave your own abode?  Money, Identification, etc...

let it go....

has anybody considered this from the opposite perspective? had Spirit have released Taurus a couple of years after Stairway would so many Zepp heads be defiantly stating there is no similarity or would they perhaps think it a bit close for comfort?

3 hours ago, Strider said:

I think you nailed it.

And the answers to those questions are: 1) Never confirmed, 2) Yes, 3) No and 4) Hell no.     Many LA Latinos don't even speak Spanish all that great, and those folks are certainly in the demographic that would be voting consistently and in the pool to be called for jury duty.

Edited by Mercurious

5 hours ago, Strider said:

We are talking about a court case here, not an interview with some journo asking inane questions and the ever present probing for a reunion. IMO Plant will play it straight, as the only issue as I see it is, whether was he familiar with Spirit's music and the songs in question. What else has any relevance to RP's testimony and the overall proceedings?

As far as I know his only input to STH are the lyrics and melody and since Taurus is an instrumental they are moot points. Somehow I don't think Robert came up with the chord progression in STH!? 

I doubt he would want to piss off the judge by meandering on when basically they'll (the questions), only require yes or no answers. This is not the time to be a smart arse.

5 hours ago, jsj said:

has anybody considered this from the opposite perspective? had Spirit have released Taurus a couple of years after Stairway would so many Zepp heads be defiantly stating there is no similarity or would they perhaps think it a bit close for comfort?

That is a good question, although it is a slightly different circumstance given that one is an obscure little song and the other the biggest song of all time. Personally, I think that I may have noticed the similarity but I also wouldn't have cared. There was so much that came out post-Zeppelin that sounded like and was obviously inspired by Zeppelin, and so many songs post-Stairway that likewise sounded like and were obviously influenced by Stairway, that I think Taurus would've been just lost in the crowd. I think I would have thought gee, that guitar part sounds kinda similar, but it's a totally different song, so who cares.

8 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Oh Jesus Christ, you must be "that guy" at Thanksgiving dinner.

Now, on the count of three you must have a happy thought and remove stick from anus: 1, 2, 3...