Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

2 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Then you have Sam Smith being sued by Tom Petty for a progression that is much, much less distinctive than Stairway vs Taurus. So one has to wonder if it's just money that does the talking.

Like a famous man once said, "the answer is always no if you never ask."

Posted (edited)

It seems Malofiy is stumbling right out the gate. He says at 1:18 that they aren't claiming copyright on sound composition but is appealing because he feels there was an injustice when the jury from the previous trial were not allowed to hear the sound composition. Huh?

The female judge seems to call him out on his BS at 2:00 and by 4:33 the middle judge seems to become annoyed with him and shakes his head and by 5:06 has a look on his face like WTF are we doing here before he goes back at Malofiy.  By 11:20 the case is falling apart and by 13:27 Malofiy can't even come up with Court examples or even give a convincing argument as to why Taurus' copyright should be outside the scope of sheet music, which would give him grounds for appeal due to infringement. He does not seem prepared at all. Very unprofessional. The excerpt below says it all.

Malofiy: "... I think there's many case we cited, I can't, at this moment, go back and tell you weather or not they were Section 9 or not."

Female Judge: "Well isn't that critical?"

Malofiy: "In every case that we have shown and in every case before this court, even in the 6th circuit, in other courts.... have never held, in Supreme Court, have never held that the deposit copy in any way defines the scope of the copyright protection"

Female Judge: "I didn't see any case where the copyright was secured by the deposit that the court held that. Can you cite me a case?"

Maloify: "I'll double check on that your Honor and supplement if I may"

Edited by timothy5151
Additional content and spelling

From a musical standpoint, Taurus is nothing like Stairway to Heaven. The reason why the Spirit estate lost was because they tried to sue Zeppelin for the entire song even though they meant the intro. Another reason why they lost so hard was because they were basically sueing them over an A minor chord. If you read the sheet music, Stairway is completely opposite to Taurus- one is an A minor ascending chord while the other is an descending chord. However if you listen to them, thay sound simular because of this one chord progression. If you skip to 3:40 in this video, it really explains the riff 

On 3/13/2018 at 2:54 AM, timothy5151 said:

It seems Malofiy is stumbling right out the gate. He says at 1:18 that they aren't claiming copyright on sound composition but is appealing because he feels there was an injustice when the jury from the previous trial were not allowed to hear the sound composition. Huh?

The female judge seems to call him out on his BS at 2:00 and by 4:33 the middle judge seems to become annoyed with him and shakes his head and by 5:06 has a look on his face like WTF are we doing here before he goes back at Malofiy.  By 11:20 the case is falling apart and by 13:27 Malofiy can't even come up with Court examples or even give a convincing argument as to why Taurus' copyright should be outside the scope of sheet music, which would give him grounds for appeal due to infringement. He does not seem prepared at all. Very unprofessional. The excerpt below says it all.

Malofiy: "... I think there's many case we cited, I can't, at this moment, go back and tell you weather or not they were Section 9 or not."

Female Judge: "Well isn't that critical?"

Malofiy: "In every case that we have shown and in every case before this court, even in the 6th circuit, in other courts.... have never held, in Supreme Court, have never held that the deposit copy in any way defines the scope of the copyright protection"

Female Judge: "I didn't see any case where the copyright was secured by the deposit that the court held that. Can you cite me a case?"

Maloify: "I'll double check on that your Honor and supplement if I may"

Hopefully, the judges will throw it out of court and Led Zeppelin can finally move on with “Stairway To Heaven”. They should actually sue the person(s) who brought up this silly case for damages and their legal fees/ wasting their time. 

R😎

Translation of what Maloify is saying in laymen terms: "Can we please have just .000001% of anything having to do with the incomparable masterpiece Stairway to Heaven, even though it sounds nothing like the hoky, cringeworthy elevator music called Taurus?  I swear you'll never hear from us again"...

32 minutes ago, Tea41 said:

Translation of what Maloify is saying in laymen terms: "Can we please have just .000001% of anything having to do with the incomparable masterpiece Stairway to Heaven, even though it sounds nothing like the hoky, cringeworthy elevator music called Taurus?  I swear you'll never hear from us again"...

+1