Memorial Day

chef free

...and to all Nations whose sons were lost in war.

Not to be a Dick, but does that apply to all the Germans, Italians, Japanese, Russians, North Koreans, Vietnamese, Iranians, Iraqis, Al-Queda, etc... that killed American, British, Canadian, Australian, Israelis and hundreds of Other (Peaceful) Nations sons? I am Human, so I am sympathetic to Human suffering, but do you really mean it to apply to every one who suffered a loss (the Bad Guys included?). ... and do other Countries celebrate and Memoralize the United States of America's Memorial Day? (I could be wrong, but I do not think so. Memorial Day is Exclusive to the Great and Powerful United States of America).

Edited to add: This is merely a question. I do not intend My Post to turn into a heated and political I said/You said bickering diatribe.

Not to be a Dick, but does that apply to all the Germans, Italians, Japanese, Russians, North Koreans, Vietnamese, Iranians, Iraqis, Al-Queda, etc... that killed American, British, Canadian, Australian and hundreds of Other (Peaceful) Nations sons?

Edited to add: This is merely a question. I do not intend My Post to turn into a heated and political I said/You said bickering diatribe.

so you wouldn't honor russian soldiers who died while helping to defeat nazi germany ?

and all of those wars are not on the same level. really, iraq ?

I edited My original post to include more of My Opinion.

To answer your question (honestly), I would not honor any of the 20+ million Russians who perished at the hands and guns of the Nazis. War is War. You live and fight or You live and die. And millions of Russians died but they eventually overcame and defeated the Germans/Nazis.

You know why I will not and do not honor those Russians that overcame the siege of Stanlingrad and Leningrad? Because those surviving Russians (meaning their Leadership (Stalin) and peoples and soldiers), would have loved to kill and decimated Millions of Americans and the Cities that we/I live in with their atomic/hydrogen bomb(s) in the years obetween 1947-1963. (Joseph Stalin died in 1952, but the oppression and torture of Russians by Russians continues to this very day).

I do not know what Country you live in or what language that you speak, but I could be certain that your way of life is a lot better and safer because of the Truth, Loyalty, Dedication and Safety that the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA provides you.

If I am wrong or anyone disbelieves what I say, please feel free to challenge or dispute Me. I am Good/Cool/Open-Minded. This is all just My Opinion and that does not mean that I am Right or Wrong. It just means that I think that I have some knowledge of this topic/subject. (I think).

PEACE!!!

Back to My Original Post (#4), Happy Memorial Day to all Americans (and I mean Americans- citizens of the United States of America).

kingzoso, you've got a big hang up about the USA there fella !! My Father fought in the second world war chummy, and he fought for the likes of me and you, without qusetion, and I am proud of him for it, his Father fought in WW1, I am proud of him too, not because he is English, but because of what he dis. In your opinion America saved the planet, God bless 'em. Please tell us all about your definition of an American??? I think it would make a good read. To me, as I was born in England I consider myself English. What is your version? My wifes Uncle has American citizenship, the USA in its wisdom OFFERED it to him as he has lived there for over 50 years.....Now in my opinion he is not an American.

kingzoso, you've got a big hang up about the USA there fella !! My Father fought in the second world war chummy, and he fought for the likes of me and you, without qusetion, and I am proud of him for it, his Father fought in WW1, I am proud of him too, not because he is English, but because of what he dis. In your opinion America saved the planet, God bless 'em. Please tell us all about your definition of an American??? I think it would make a good read. To me, as I was born in England I consider myself English. What is your version? My wifes Uncle has American citizenship, the USA in its wisdom OFFERED it to him as he has lived there for over 50 years.....Now in my opinion he is not an American.

I watched the Battle of Britain yesterday and we must not forget that England played a huge huge role in defeating Hitler as well. The French and Canada and others also contributed greatly. And Kingzoso, off to the Russian front for you after your Cards performance yesterday. A real native american as we know is an Indian. But they certainly do not run the USA. Americans are basically mutts, myself included as far as ancestry goes. We are a mix of many many nationalities and many have citizenship that were from other countries but know they are treated better here by Santa Claus

Please do not get Me wrong. I have much respect for Your Island Nation and Countrymen. I am a big reader of World War II history and I know the sacrifices that You Brits endured and overcame during the "Battle of Britain". If I am correct, the British were the first to invent the Radar and crack the German "Enigma" supercodes.

But I will say that if it was not for the United States of America's help to England with the "lend/lease" act, (before Pearl Harbor) the tide of the War in England and most of Europe, could have proved a whole different and outcome and most of England and Central Europe would be a different landscape (and possibly be speaking a different language, some form of German dialect).

I believe we have Roosevelt, Churchill, Eisenhower, Bradley, Patton, Montgomery, Truman... and many hundreds of thousands that helped and made a difference in this war (and I will admit Stalin had a major hand in the ending of WWII, even though he had more sinister intentions then the Allies had for Berlin).

And the Millions of American, British, French, Canadians, Australians, Swedish, Danish, Norwegians (and more Countries) that helped the Allies to Overcome the World Ambitions of Hitler, Mussolini, Franco and Hirohito.

Memorial Day for my family that lives in America is for those who served and returned and struggle to readjust while more or less being ignored by their own government and state governments. For those who served because of ignorance and regretted that decision to enlist when they understood what they had done. For those who served, and came back healthy and strong for their families. And last but certainly not least for those who served in World War 1 and World War 2 in an honourable cause. And I agree with someone else, it’s an American thing to remember and celebrate Memorial Day, it’s not for us (like me) who live outside of America.

As far as ‘America the Great’ that is a laugh, it’s great sometimes - World War 1 and World War 2 as quick examples, and absolute evil other times the complete bombing of innocent people in Laos and mess left behind as just a quick example. Just like any other country it has its up and downs, not great, just a mixed bag like anywhere in ‘the West’.

The only reason I have a big hang up about the USA is because I was born in the Unites States of America (Galveston, Texas, an island) to be precise. Is that a bad thing to you? I Love My Country and all of It's History (good or bad). I am a free man who can pursue any avenue of anything that I choose (unless I break the Law). I have a good job, pay My taxes, drive My car anywhere I want to go, listen to the radio, buy what I want, drink what I want, eat what I want, say what I want, watch any television show I want (without censorship), etc...

And all of this is because of the Blood, Bravery, Loyalty, Dedication, Honor, Sacrifice, Compassion, Justice, et al, that all of MY fellow Americans, Past and Present and Future have provided Me and My fellow Americans (and hundreds of other that Countries that seem to owe a Huge debt to the United States of America, whether Their people or governments want to acknowledge this or not).

I owe all this to the Men and Women who have lived and died for Their Country. My Father, who is still alive, enlisted in the Marines and Proudly served 2 tours in Vietnam. He and Them are who I thank and salute every year (actually every day).

The United States of America Honors all Those who have lived and died and served in the Greatest Military that the World has and will ever know: The AMERICAN ARMED FORCES!!!

Happy Memorial Day!!!

The only reason I have a big hang up about the USA is because I was born in the Unites States of America (Galveston, Texas, an island) to be precise. Is that a bad thing to you? I Love My Country and all of It's History (good or bad). I am a free man who can pursue any avenue of anything that I choose (unless I break the Law). I have a good job, pay My taxes, drive My car anywhere I want to go, listen to the radio, buy what I want, drink what I want, eat what I want, say what I want, watch any television show I want (without censorship), etc...

And all of this is because of the Blood, Bravery, Loyalty, Dedication, Honor, Sacrifice, Compassion, Justice, et al, that all of MY fellow Americans, Past and Present and Future have provided Me and My fellow Americans (and hundreds of other that Countries that seem to owe a Huge debt to the United States of America, whether Their people or governments want to acknowledge this or not).

I owe all this to the Men and Women who have lived and died for Their Country. My Father, who is still alive, enlisted in the Marines and Proudly served 2 tours in Vietnam. He and Them are who I thank and salute every year (actually every day):

the United States of America Honors all Those who have lived and died and served in the Greatest Military that the World has will ever know: The AMERICAN ARMED FORCES!!!

Happy Memorial Day!!!

Settle down mate.

It's one thing to be patriotic but you do tend to go over the top sometimes. Pun intended!

You rave on about how the USA "saved" the world in WWI & II.

Not entirely true, they did however, bomb the Japanese back to the stone age.

Australian soldiers turned back the Japanese in New Guinea after MacArthur "strategically withdrew" from Singapore.

Australians stopped Rommel at Tobruk.

The reality is we were all in it together and thanks to the brave souls who stepped up when it mattered and some paid the ultimate price..

Btw the US and the rest of the countries (mine included), got their collective arses kicked in Vietnam.

Peace.

Settle down mate.

It's one thing to be patriotic but you do tend to go over the top sometimes. Pun intended!

You rave on about how the USA "saved" the world in WWI & II.

Not entirely true, they did however, bomb the Japanese back to the stone age.

Australian soldiers turned back the Japanese in New Guinea after MacArthur "strategically withdrew" from Singapore.

Australians stopped Rommel at Tobruk.

The reality is we were all in it together and thanks to the brave souls who stepped up when it mattered and some paid the ultimate price..

Btw the US and the rest of the countries (mine included), got their collective arses kicked in Vietnam.

Peace.

I am settled. I have the utmost Respect for the Australian peoples. I just happen to be a Staunch and Proud American. Not from you but that seems to be a Crime for a lot of people who seem to and say that they Love Led Zeppelin but will do all they can to disparage True and Honest speaking persons like Me. Why? I ask? Even if you do not and can not agree or disagree with someone like me, why would anyone try and disparage a Proud Citizen of the Planet Earth and a Lover of Led Zeppelin and Their Music? This would never happen from Me...

It could, in the spirit of reconciliation, and with the understanding some of those nations had a compulsory service requirement.

Are you really serious?

How do you propose a reconciliation between the Powerful United States of America and the cowardly (now) and shambolic leaderless of Al-queda?

Who killed over 3,000 Americans (and other peoples of different Continents)?

Did those terrorists have a compulsory requirement to fly American passenger and domestic airplanes into American buildings?

This thread is about a memorial. A remembrance. A honour of those who have fought, given the ultimate sacrifice, or have battled with the ongoing problems of fighting for their country.

It is about the belief of each country's citizens. The love, the belief and the defence of their country!

I completely honour the United States of America in honouring and remembering the men and women who have fought, or given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

I respect, I honour and I bow down to the sacrificies, so many men and women have made for their own country. Whether it be remembered on Memorial Day,

Remembrance Day, ANZAC Day, or each country's unique day of remembrance.

I do not however, acknowledge that I owe a debt to the USA. I owe a debt to my grandfather, who fought in the Boar War, World War 1 and World War 2 .... for the love of his country. I owe a debt to my father, who fought in World War 2. I owe a debt to all their friends and companions who fought alongside them. I owe a debt to my mother and grandparents, who ran to the bomb shelters to survive and how somehow managed to live on food rations for years. I owe a debt to my fellow countrymen who were conscripted against their will and had no choice but to fight. I owe a debt to friends, who still wake at night screaming at the horrors of war. I owe a debt to all of these people who fought and gave their lives for my country, for me and my family.

For those that grow not old, Lest We Forget!

edit spelling

This thread is about a memorial. A remembrance. A honour of those who have fought, given the ultimate sacrifice, or have battled with the ongoing problems of fighting for their country.

It is about the belief of each country's citizens. The love, the belief and the defence of their country!

I completely honour the United States of America in honouring and remembering the men and women who have fought, or given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

I respect, I honour and I bow down to the sacrificies, so many men and women have made for their own country. Whether it be remembered on Memorial Day,

Remembrance Day, ANZAC Day, or each country's unique day of remembrance.

I do not however, acknowledge that I owe a debt to the USA. I owe a debt to my grandfather, who fought in the Boar War, World War 1 and World War 2 .... for the love of his country. I owe a debt to my father, who fought in World War 2. I owe a debt to all their friends and companions who fought alongside them. I owe a debt to my mother and grandparents, who ran to the bomb shelters to survive and how somehow managed to live on food rations for years. I owe a debt to my fellow countrymen who were conscripted against their will and had no choice but to fight. I owe a debt to friends, who still wake at night screaming at the horrors of war. I owe a debt to all of these people who fought and gave their lives for my country, for me and my family.

For those that grow not old, Lest We Forget!

edit spelling

Great post. You've reminded us of this thread's true purpose, and who we should all be remembering and honoring for their sacrifice.

It's not my intention to derail this thread, but I wanted to mention a few things:

a) The Polish intelligence services made initial progress in breaking German secret codes, including ULTRA, during the 1930's. Following the fall of Poland in 1939, Polish intelligence shared their code-breaking information with British intelligence, who then launched an ultimately successfully effort to crack ULTRA.

B) Today, Americans tend to forget the huge and critical role played by Russia in defeating Germany during WW2. Russia suffered 40-50 times more fatalities than America did during the war. The Russians lost more lives in single battles (Stalingrad, the Kiev cauldron, etc.) than the Americans lost during the entire war. On D-Day, the Germans had roughly 75-80 percent of their armed might deployed against the Russians in the East, roughly 5 percent of their armed might deployed against the Western Allies in Italy; and roughly 15-20 percent of their armed might deployed against the Western Allies in France.

c) Finally -- and I realize this may be controversial -- it's important to remember the tens of thousands of Boer women and children who died in British-run internment camps during the Boer War. (in South Africa)

How many counties celebrate Memorial Day?

Memorial Day is a National holiday, so the United States is its only celebrant.

The Memorial Day that we celebrate every year on the last Monday of May is an American holiday, created to honour the fallen dead of the Civil War. After the defeat of Nazi Germany in May 1945, its purpose was expanded to honour the fallen soldiers of WWII and all wars.

Other countries have their own Memorial Days, of course, just as they observe their own Independence Days. For many countries, their Memorial Day is called Remembrance Day, celebrated on November 11, which is the day the U.S. calls Veterans Day. That day came about with the end of WWI.

The difference between the two in the U.S. is that Memorial Day is to remember the dead and Veterans Day is to honour all those who have served, alive or dead.

Naturally, as with many American holidays, Memorial Day has acquired a consumerist aspect by becoming the unofficial start of summer and people looking forward to the three or even four-day weekend.

Like Strider said, other countries have their own Memorial Days. For example in Finland the 3rd sunday of May is Commemoration Day of Fallen Soldiers and the 27th of April (the day WW2 ended in Finland) is National Veteran's Day.

Archived