Memorial Day

chef free

I hate cluttering up the Forum with unnecessary threads, so I searched high and low for a suitable place for this story. Since I couldn't find a WW II thread, this seemed to be the next logical place.

Remains of 36 WWII Marines Found On Island

GetStory.jpg

Memorial at Betio Island, Kiribati

From PopularMilitary.com July 8, 2015

The bodies of 36 US Marines have been found on a remote Pacific island more than 70 years after they died fighting the Japanese in the Second World War. Mark Noah, director of US charity History Flight, said the remains of the men were discovered after a four-month excavation on Betio Island, Kiribati. The men were killed during fighting in the Battle of Tarawa in 1943.

Mr Noah told Radio New Zealand: “(They) had an expectation that if they were to die in the line of duty defending their country they would be brought home… that was a promise made 70 years ago that we felt should be kept.”

Among the bodies is thought to be Lieutenant Alexander Bonnyman, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry – America’s highest military honour. The citation for the medal said he led a series of assaults when Marines stormed the island, and was fatally injured while attacking a bomb-proof installation that was hindering the Marines’ advance.

A statement on the charity’s website said Lt Bonnyman’s daughters had decided to have his remains interred at a family plot in Knoxville, Tennessee.

More than 1,000 Americans died at Tarawa, and the entire Japanese garrison of 4,800 was wiped out.

Mr Noah said the remains will be repatriated to the US this month and identified using dental records and DNA. He added that bodies of several hundred more US soldiers still remain on the island.

“There’s a lot of work to be done on the island,” he said.

© Sky News 2015

800px-Tarawa_aerial_view_24_Nov_1943.jpg

Aerial view of Betio, Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands as seen from a Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless aircraft (flying at an altitude of 150 m) from the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Essex (CV-9), 24 November 1943. The view is to the north toward “The Pocket”, the last place of Japanese resistance. Two 12.7 cm flak guns are visible in the lower left. (U.S. Navy)

742px-Tarawa_beach_HD-SN-99-03001.jpeg

View of the beach of Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands, after the U.S. invasion in November 1943. Tarawa was attacked from 20 to 23 November 1943, the U.S. Marine Corps sustained 990 Marines killed and a further 2,296 wounded. The Japanese lost 4,713 men. Note the men sitting on the disabled M4 Sherman tank. ( U.S. National Archives)

Brothers, I salute thee.

• 10 months later...

Thinking about all who gave some and especially some who gave all on this Memorial Day.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone who served, fought and died for our freedom.

"The stillness of the night is broken by the hostile picket shots close to the front. What are the thoughts that fill the minds of the men as they lie there, anxiously awaiting the morning? Who can describe them?"
~Cpl. Arthur S. Fitch, Company B, 107th New York Infantry
Antietam

2016-05-30-18-12-27-1.png

7 hours ago, Walter said:

Thinking about all who gave some and especially some who gave all on this Memorial Day.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone who served, fought and died for our freedom.

+1

6 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Much love, respect and honor to those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. May we always remember. 

+1

• 11 months later...

I'm happily surprised to see this thread resurrected because I noticed something odd this Memorial Day.  I heard so many people thanking veterans "for their service", naming their relatives who served, etc., but that's Veteran's Day, this is Memorial Day! 

I'm happy that people have respect for veterans for sure but Memorial Day is for something different.

Archived