The Best LED ZEPPELIN Photo Ever? Please Post Here:

DAVIDALLEN

On 22 januari 2018 at 1:57 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Missing Bonzo, but what a shot. If there were an official movie made about the band, this would have to be the movie poster.

led08.jpg.56be98f9de4a5cce246b7ee551ab87f8.jpg

One of my faves, too. I also dig the color pic from Robert from this march LA 1970 show used as the cover for the  Japan single release of Immigrant Song/out on the tiles

but the  Zep photo I think captured them best, is this one I first saw in a magazine....would love to have it in better resolution

image.jpeg

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Decker70 said:

Absolutely one of my favorites. Its nice to see them just enjoying themselves, especially Bonzo with his big smile. 

42af3ebc-50fd-4eda-a5e5-b6afdb72d9ca.png

Photographers will often use "stimuli" behind the camera to induce reactions from the subjects. Who knows what was in the field that day with the band and the photog. Nude ladies? Richard Cole dropping his pants? The possibilities are endless!

1 hour ago, Zep Hed said:

Photographers will often use "stimuli" behind the camera to induce reactions from the subjects. Who knows what was in the field that day with the band and the photog. Nude ladies? Richard Cole dropping his pants? The possibilities are endless!

I believe it was naked ladies goofing off. There is also another cheeky pic from this photo session where old Robert has his nickers down and his frank & beans are hanging loose for all to see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 1:45 AM, Decker70 said:

Absolutely one of my favorites. Its nice to see them just enjoying themselves, especially Bonzo with his big smile. 

42af3ebc-50fd-4eda-a5e5-b6afdb72d9ca.png

8 Years between these shots and they're still laughing - love both of these off stage shots. I wonder who said what in the photo by Jim Marshall. Just look at Plant's smirk. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 7.14.33 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mikelangelo said:

Led Zeppelin were (or should we say was?) a photogenetic band 😛 I think Led fared pretty well in most of the groupshots. Many bands tend to look grumpy (which they may be) or just plain non-interested...

So true, most bands look like they are either posing for a group mug shot or are staring out at the distance trying to look pensive and deep.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

I own these photographs (there's a dozen pics). Some documentation I received with them is unclear whether they're from October '68 or December '68.

I'm inclined to believe that this new set is the December 10 date. Here's why...

The Marquee shots included in the 2014 Super Deluxe book have all four members in different outfits than the two circulating color shots of the band at the Marquee. Additionally, Bonham's hair is very close to what it looked like in September 1968 compared to his hair in January 1969.

Excerpt from the strip of negatives from the (presumed) October Marquee show:

image.png.c5126a3be95415e9534c88dd534fe494.png

Better look at Page's outfit at the (now presumed) October Marquee show (not the green psychedelic shirt in the new shot):

Photos from Jimmy Page's autobiography | NME

The other known December 10, 1968 shot (note the matching outfits with the new color shot, but not the black and white pics)

Led Zeppelin Held Its First Rehearsal 50 Years Ago This Week - Variety

Bonham in Sweden on Sept 15, 1968:

May be an image of 1 person

And finally, Bonham's (much longer) hair in January 1969:

14 January 1969. San Francisco, California, USA © Bob Stinnett/Globe  Photos. Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John  Paul Jones is published by Reel Art Press |

In any case, Sam, would it be possible to see the rest of the set?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, ledzepfilm said:

I'm inclined to believe that this new set is the December 10 date. Here's why...

The Marquee shots included in the 2014 Super Deluxe book have all four members in different outfits than the two circulating color shots of the band at the Marquee. Additionally, Bonham's hair is very close to what it looked like in September 1968 compared to his hair in January 1969.

Excerpt from the strip of negatives from the (presumed) October Marquee show:

image.png.c5126a3be95415e9534c88dd534fe494.png

Better look at Page's outfit at the (now presumed) October Marquee show (not the green psychedelic shirt in the new shot):

Photos from Jimmy Page's autobiography | NME

The other known December 10, 1968 shot (note the matching outfits with the new color shot, but not the black and white pics)

Led Zeppelin Held Its First Rehearsal 50 Years Ago This Week - Variety

I thought that was correct (JP with the light shirt was Oct. and pics with the jacket was Dec.) but not 100% sure. We've gone back and forth on the dates when we did the super-deluxe box set, official books etc.

There's a few live pics of JP with that lighter shirt but RP is still wearing that dark sweater on stage, not the white sweater he has on backstage. A few pics actually show JP changing into his white shirt. Also, there's live pics from the b&w set that exactly match the new color pics I have and the color one above. There are other reasons I believe the new color pics are from Dec. that I'll get into another time.

Bonham is shown backstage with a fresh scar on his face after being cut by a cymbal during the show. I thought I recall hearing it was the December show when this occurred. I'll have to find that reference again but if it was December, the pics of JP with the white shirt aren't October.

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

There's a few live pics of JP with that lighter shirt but RP is still wearing that dark sweater on stage, not the white sweater he has on backstage. 

This would seem to answer your question. Looks like Plant was wearing a black cardigan(?) over the white sweater: image.png.3841a4cf6cc618c43b145f10ed56c918.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 9:33 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I own these photographs (there's a dozen pics). Some documentation I received with them is unclear whether they're from October '68 or December '68.

Plant and Page seem to be wearing the same clothes as the blurry well-known Marquee photo. In the Led Zeppelin photo book (with backstage pics) it documents the photo as Oct 18, 1968.

16 minutes ago, sixpense said:

Plant and Page seem to be wearing the same clothes as the blurry well-known Marquee photo. In the Led Zeppelin photo book (with backstage pics) it documents the photo as Oct 18, 1968.

See my analysis above - and as Sam said, they've gone back and forth on the exact date of that photo. The backstage pics are certainly from October but I'm inclined to say the blurry and clear color shots are both from December.

Edited by ledzepfilm

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, sam_webmaster said:

This does not provide a conclusive answer one way or the other, but when The Who performed at The Marquee on December 17th 1968 (ten days after Led Zeppelin) the stage was decorated with what appears to be green red and white holiday season streamers.

Dec 17 1968.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm didn't read through all four pages of this thread, but this picture has always jumped out at me as one of the best band photos I've seen.

led-zeppelin-1969.jpg

Now, if we're talking about Led Zeppelin on stage, this is one of my favorites:

R.dc62292d0277385fd1f6a62423a9e8ce?rik=3UlI0OhgRbUfaQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fassets.rollingstone.com%2fassets%2f1975%2farticle%2fthe-durable-led-zeppelin-19750313%2f195859%2flarge_rect%2f1431531090%2f1401x788-74708441.jpg&ehk=GsocJyWG8xZXyzX5A38h0%2bUE5lJ49C%2bE7iWxqvyDkIQ%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

It's hard to find good pictures of all four them on stage. Photographers tended to focus on Page/Plant, and to a lesser extent, Page/Plant/Jones. 

Edited by Electrophile