"Jimmy Page needs to have a good rest"

royalrumpus

Why? Because Plant believes the three bands you mentioned are touring for all the WRONG reasons, he wants no part of that.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Plant has the right to run his career as he sees fit. His M.O. has been to experiment with different musical styles and musicians and see where this leads him. Sometimes it works out really well; sometimes not so much. But invariably he gets bored or restless then moves onto something else. Running his career this way demonstrates a certain fearlessness and flexibility that commands admiration. At the same, there is a lot to be said for artists who stick to what they do best.

To be fair, Plant has never claimed his way is the best way for everybody. However, some of his comments about classic rock bands who reunite and perform their old hits have carried a whiff of judgement. I've come to the conclusion that Robert Plant doesn't do nostalgia. I think he is sincere when he says he's not interested in looking back; only forward. He really doesn't understand how a musician could genuinely enjoy performing a song he recorded forty years ago in front of some of the same people who bought the album when it was first released.

People take Robert's quotes about Jimmy and especially the Daft Punk Alison stuff way too seriously. Also as for performing LZ ... They r very reworked versions so maybe don't feel as played to RP... Battle of Evermore was the only one pretty straightforward like the LZ version. Whole lotta love ironically sounds like the song they nicked from more so with the SSS... Not comparing anyone here musically Page has always been the best in my opinion since I was 11 or 12..1975 when I jumped into their music

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Plant has the right to run his career as he sees fit. His M.O. has been to experiment with different musical styles and musicians and see where this leads him. Sometimes it works out really well; sometimes not so much. But invariably he gets bored or restless then moves onto something else. Running his career this way demonstrates a certain fearlessness and flexibility that commands admiration. At the same, there is a lot to be said for artists who stick to what they do best.

To be fair, Plant has never claimed his way is the best way for everybody. However, some of his comments about classic rock bands who reunite and perform their old hits have carried a whiff of judgement. I've come to the conclusion that Robert Plant doesn't do nostalgia. I think he is sincere when he says he's not interested in looking back; only forward. He really doesn't understand how a musician could genuinely enjoy performing a song he recorded forty years ago in front of some of the same people who bought the album when it was first released.

:goodpost: I consider his time with Mr. Page back in late 90's as his mid-life musical crisis . I really, REALLY enjoyed 'Fate of Nations' and would have preferred if he hadn't reignited his old partnership (ah shock, blasphemy). :run:

:goodpost: I consider his time with Mr. Page back in late 90's as his mid-life musical crisis . I really, REALLY enjoyed 'Fate of Nations' and would have preferred if he hadn't reignited his old partnership (ah shock, blasphemy). :run:

I guess I'm a blasphemer as well because I also have my doubts about the Page/Plant collaborations during the 1990s. The fans wanted it and the industry wanted it, but was it the best move for either Plant or Page at the time? I don't think so. Plant could have just as easily done the world music thing without Page. Then the buzz would have been about his delving into that genre and not about he and Page's reunion.

IMO, Page would have been better off doing a second album with David Coverdale. If that wasn't possible then finding another singer with whom he clicked and making new music with him/her would have served him better in the long run than collaborating with Plant again. His career had been sporadic since LZ broke up, but he was getting out there every few years to make new music and perform until Walking Into Clarksdale. After Clarksdale, he lost whatever career momentum he still had. His only significant gigs since then have been the tour with the Black Crows in 1999 and the LZ reunion concert in 2007.

Last but not least, they should have told John Paul Jones that they were collaborating on a project. They didn't want to include him; fine. But letting him find out from a reporter? A thoughtless and crass move.

I liked the page plant No Quarter show and cd a lot but I tend to blaspheme as well Clarksdale did not benefit anyone but Page's interest in world music along with Plant's made Unledded seem worthwhile. I agree Fate of Nations didn't do great in the states but I loved every minute of it and thought it was the beginning of an escape from 90's fm rock and mullets for Plant.

Personally I would like have seen Jimmy do some production work in the 90's and onwards. I never understood why he's never been asked to man the desk for Aerosmith, once Bruce Fairbairn died they struggled for a producer to bring the best out of them. Plus I reckon Jimmy would have really pushed Aerosmith back to what they were good at in the first place. If they ever do one last album it would be a fantastic dream team!

Personally I would like have seen Jimmy do some production work in the 90's and onwards. I never understood why he's never been asked to man the desk for Aerosmith, once Bruce Fairbairn died they struggled for a producer to bring the best out of them. Plus I reckon Jimmy would have really pushed Aerosmith back to what they were good at in the first place. If they ever do one last album it would be a fantastic dream team!

I know that he co-produced the Coverdale/Page album. Has he produced anything else post-LZ?

Jimmy Page is still working Zeppelin, producing if you will. I think Jimmy doesn't feel the need to produce or be involvolved with other bands because Led Zeppelin is his band, the greatest rock band in the world. Robert has bunches of groups, so he likes working on those, but for Zeppelin he was just the singer for ten years or so, for Jimmy it's a life long thing. Robert wants to be in the Sensational Space Shifters and jimmy wants to be in Zep, simple as that.

There is so much Zep work still to be done. Sure, the phase where the four are jamming out and collaborating on Jimmy's productions is over.

As the years go by Zeppelin only becomes more relevant, thank you Jimmy Page for your hard work and never letting the fans down. For Robert it was just his day job at the time.

I am not a Robert hater, I actually like some of his solo stuff, it's pretty good.

i wonder if pagey is hearing the new music that Robert's put out today? Studio versions of Little Maggie and Rainbow, both of which actually sound quite good to my years, albeit especially in the case of maggie, miles away from zeppelin. For better or worse, i can't knock plant horribly hard right now because he is putting out new music and of the 11 tracks on his new record, 9 are original songs which for him has been a while coming considering his last few records were for all intents and purposes covers albums....

^ I like your post ddot and agree that we are fortunate that Jimmy has continued to work hard for the fans. Fans who, to this day, live for any unreleased piece of music, video, trivia, photos...anything Zep! It's quite incredible, and no doubt motivates Jimmy to continue preserving the legacy. The music and history of LZ is all still so very relevant...and continues to inspire fans (longtime and new).

I've read some crap on here over the years but some of the recent drivel is unbelievable.

Lots of "fans" have an unrealistic sense of entitlement where they are almost demanding a reunion tour because they weren't able to see them live for a variety of reasons. The least being they weren't even born when Zep was around and they owe them.

To put things in perspective, let's look at some facts.

• The concept of just having guitar, bass, drums and vocals in a band was Jimmy Page's, although not a completely original idea.
  • Led Zeppelin grew to be much bigger and better than that and was the sum of it's parts, the fifth element if you will.
  • Plant co-wrote the majority of the songs with Page.
  • Plant was/is the "voice" of Led Zeppelin.
  • Saying it was just Plant's "day job" is both disrespectful and utter crap. Using that logic, the same would apply to John Paul Jones and Bonzo.
  • Plant lost his best mate and his son during those halcyon days and that would go a long way to explain any perceived disdain he may have for the band.
  • Led Zeppelin ceased to exist in 1980, at which time the legacy began and remains intact.
  • Celebration Day was only ever going to be a one off and (if reports are correct) was initiated by Plant for Ahmet Ertegun.
  • Without the original four members it cannot ever be revisited, regardless of how good Jason is, he is not his father.
  • Robert Plant has been more prolific (both good and bad), than the others (although JPJ has had his share of new music and playing live too).
  • Plant dances to his own tune and follows his muse to where ever that may lead.
  • Page has been very sporadic if not sparse regarding his solo career in releasing and performing "new music", so in a way he has let a lot of people down by not playing new and old material at any gigs, either solo or with his own band.
  • Jimmy Page has given us all a lot of joy from Led Zeppelin from the first album through to his various re-issues and remasters and sadly it would seem the well is running dry, if not empty.

Be thankful for what we have and hopefully Jimmy will do something soon with a new band rather than waste his time on trying to resurrect something that ended over three decades ago.

If he can't let go, he will never grow and he ain't getting any younger.

Reality like karma, can be a real bitch.

Peace.

I've read some crap on here over the years but some of the recent drivel is unbelievable.

Lots of "fans" have an unrealistic sense of entitlement where they are almost demanding a reunion tour because they weren't able to see them live for a variety of reasons. The least being they weren't even born when Zep was around and they owe them.

• The concept of just having guitar, bass, drums and vocals in a band was Jimmy Page's, although not a completely original idea.
  • Led Zeppelin grew to be much bigger and better than that and was the sum of it's parts, the fifth element if you will.
  • Saying it was just Plant's "day job" is both disrespectful and utter crap. Using that logic, the same would apply to John Paul Jones and Bonzo.
  • Plant lost his best mate and his son during those halcyon days and that would go a long way to explain any perceived disdain he may have for the band.
  • Led Zeppelin ceased to exist in 1980, at which time the legacy began and remains intact.
  • Celebration Day was only ever going to be a one off and (if reports are correct) was initiated by Plant for Ahmet Ertegun.
  • Without the original four members it cannot ever be revisited, regardless of how good Jason is, he is not his father.
  • Robert Plant has been more prolific (both good and bad), than the others (although JPJ has had his share of new music and playing live too).
  • Plant dances to his own tune and follows his muse to where ever that may lead.
  • Page has been very sporadic if not sparse regarding his solo career in releasing and performing "new music", so in a way he has let a lot of people down by not playing new and old material at any gigs, either solo or with his own band.
  • Jimmy Page has given us all a lot of joy from Led Zeppelin from the first album through to his various re-issues and remasters and sadly it would seem the well is running dry, if not empty.

Be thankful for what we have and hopefully Jimmy will do something soon with a new band rather than waste his time on trying to resurrect something that ended over three decades ago.

Peace.

Peace.

Well, I admit the day job comment was a little simplistic. But my friend Zeppelin did not end in 1980. They are back on the charts now with new material, new to fans, with much more to come.

Two things are very obvious: Robert has shown disdain, which is his every right.

And Jimmy loves working on Zeppelin things, which is his right. Jimmy doesn't want, and I will speak for him here, to put out a bunch of albums for the sake of just putting them out. It is a larger than life vibe that he has nourished so well.

Robert on the other hand, is the one who us acting like a hired gun, acting as if Zep was just one of his many projects. This project, that project, to be honest Robert has started so many bands I can't remember them, in my mind it's just a mush of stuff, a few things stand out like Heaven Knows or the country thing, excuse Americana thing. None of the solo stuff compares, not even close.

This whole argument just shows to me who the true visionary was, and is of Led Zeppelin. For instance the new mastering is way crazy awesome, thank you Jimmy Page!.

Robert strikes me as desperate to put out new material without a care whether or not it is the most amazing material of all time. Jimmy only wants the very very best, new Zep shit is coming out a lot and it is smoking.

As far as the boys getting back together I don't feel like they owe me to do it. Jimmy has been very smart not to just get someone else and go live, not a good idea to tarnish the magic. Jimmy has shown great restraint in staying on message. Thank god

I'm not sure what Roberts message is, something about exploring new types of music, I had always thought Zep had covered all those bases very well.

As far as Robert being the voice of Zeppelin I would strongly disagree, Roberts voice is heard in Jimmy's mixes. I think Roberts job in Zep was more of being a cheerleader, rockin out while the band jams, then screaming every now and again.

But now Robert doesn't want to be the cheerleader anymore, he has bigger ideas. Unfortunately his efforts haven't sounded as good as Zep. Robert is coming off as someone who has something to prove, Jimmy isn't really trying to prove anything, he is in more of a demonstration mode, pointing out the different ruff mixes, which I am finding incredibly illuminating.

But don't get me wrong, I love Robert Plant. He is a god, of music. It's just that Jimmy is the actual genius behind the things that I love about Zep and Robert might be a tad more respectful. So yes, Robert acts as if Zep was just a job.

The whole band of joy thing was meant as a jab at Jimmy, and now his most recent comments, very disrespectful.

The only thing I ask is that no one call me a Plant hater, that drives me nuts. However I do feel Robert is a very great man, and Jimmy Page is one of the greatest musical composers of all time, it's all coming out in the wash.

I have no idea if Jimmy was a pric to work for.....

^^^

The music is alive (it never died as far as I'm concerned), however, the band is defunct as a live or recording unit and has been since ITTOD, for obvious reasons.

Whether anyone acknowledges that or not, is entirely up to them.

Page is a musical genius no doubt about it but at the same time is lazy when it comes to doing anything other than Zeppelin related.

That's his choice and he is entitled to do anything or nothing if he chooses.

It is obvious that some have conveniently forgotten (or just don't know) that Page has regularly intimated over the years that Robert IS the voice and frontman of Zeppelin.

Why do you think the sessions with other vocalists after 2007, failed?

Page has collaborated with David Coverdale and Paul Rodgers in The Firm. Both enterprises falling apart after a short period of time.

Why?

Because like Bonham, Plant can't be replaced or imitated and Page is probably frustrated by that and the fact he can't replicate the chemistry of the original members with any other singer or musicians.

It can't be denied that they compliment each other as shown on Heaven Knows and the tracks they did together on Outrider, another short lived Page project.

Walking Into Clarksdale was original music by the two of them which was most unZeppelinlike and didn't really work.

Desperate to put out original material?

Once again Plant is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

He gets criticised for doing Zep songs albeit reworked for the most part and now it's because he is making his own original music?

What if he cuts all the Zep from his sets and only does his solo stuff?

That's right, he'd be bagged for that too.

I'm not knocking Page, just telling it like I see it and I wish him all the best in whatever plans he has for the future.

Point blank. Plant needs to WALK HIS TALK. Out of one side of his mouth he says I don't want to revisit the "tepid bathwater of old hits." "I'm not bored.and I'm not a jukebox."

Then he takes the stage with his backing musicians (and that's all they are, Robert Plant's back-up band) and over 1/2 of his set is Led Zeppelin. WTF!!?? He plays practically

NONE of his solo stuff that he assures us he's so proud of. Really?? I wonder why. Maybe because he doesn't want to watch those fickle, festival crowds wander off if he doesn't

play what they came to hear.

Robert, if you're not "a jukebox" "revisiting the tepid bathwater of old hits," then stop playing Led Zeppelin. Walk your talk.

You must not have seen Plant recently. He performs LOTS of songs he recorded 40 years ago. That's what makes his comments so infuriating.

At least Mick and Pete and Don perform them with Keith and Roger and Glenn....not just "some guy".

most of the old songs were VERY reworked though when I saw him the last 3 tours in US...much more than 80's/90's when I admit I didn't see the point in making them part of a solo tour...

BTW, maybe Jimmy was just a little tired the day Plant said that and needed some sleep...seriously I don't sense animosity between the 2 of them even when they disagree

I'd rather hear Robert try something new win or lose than same old...if anything this preserves the legacy of what Zeppelin did...as I recall Page played Zep songs with a few other people as well ....he just isn't out there as much. Looking forward to seeing new material with SSS and agree after the great diffrent kind of shows with AK and BOJ the last tour with SSS felt experimental but a little like Mighty Rearranger tour part 2. but then again I am a huge Dread Zep fan too..their first couple cd's are classic stuff

Plant seems to have indicated that he has more thought to getting together with the other 2 if they want to make something new. Love that. Me, no desire to see them do Ramble On, HMMT or Whole Lotta Love. Those songs are so far out of context, it leaves no impression performed now, empty. The Clarksdale songs are what made the last venture they had worth seeing live, at least what I saw from video (not the same I know).

As for the Zeppelin songs Plant performs lately, I think that's probably being respectful to the fans who pay for the show, and want to hear that.

Why do people complain about Jimmy being lazy and not releasing music for last 16 years or so? He has his reason I'm sure. He had two kids round 1998 and maybe he wanted to take it easy and spend time with them as he was older. Robert and John Paul's kids are all grown up a long time ago. I think a lot of him being out of public eye had a lot to do with the fact he married again in mid 90s and has been raising two young kids and they were born when he was in his late 50s! I mean they're still in school and teenagers! I don't know if he's mentioned this in interviews? I do feel also that for years he prob was holding out on a Zep reunion. I do think he should have got another bandand album together years ago. It would have been interesting to hear. He's 70 now and although he's talking enthusiastically in recent interviews about getting a band together I don't see how he'll have the energy playing rock music onstage at 72 as he seems to hint that it'll be few years before he gets it together! Was interesting when he said on Japan rock city interview that he wasn't "greedy" about making music but I wish he would've explained that statement a bit more. It was a bit vague.

• 1 month later...

It is so sad that they seem to be at odds. It just should not be this way IMHO...but if this is correct and Robert spoke with Jimmy about anything acoustic...it may put to rest a few things. I for one had no idea that he and Jimmy had discussed doing acoustic music together!

I love them all but IMHO, they could take a lesson from JPJ. You don't hear this kind of stuff from him as he is truly a class act...and if they did talk acoustic I would only hope that JPJ would have been included...just saying.

Why Robert Plant is Disappointed in Led Zeppelin Band Mate Jimmy Page

Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page are continuing their public disagreement over the possibility of a reunion.

In an interview with Express, Plant once again addressed Led Zeppelin rumors. Plant does not want to reunite Led Zeppelin. Plant explains that he feels bad for Page:

"I feel for the guy [Jimmy]. He knows he's got the headlines if he wants them. But I don't know what he's trying to do. So I feel slightly disappointed and baffled."

But, Plant added a new piece of information. He's not against working with Page. Robert adds, "A couple of years ago I said, 'If you've got anything acoustic, let me know. I'll give it a whirl.'" But, Plant explains, "He

just walked away. But we couldn't do anything proper. The weight of expectation is too great."

Led Zeppelin played one show in 2007 at a tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. That's the only full concert Led Zeppelin has performed since 1980.

After that show, Page, bassist John Paul Jones, and Jason Bonham (son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham) were all on board to keep on playing shows. Plant was not. The players went as far as auditioning other singers, but nothing ever surfaced.

Since then, there has been a consistent back and forth between Plant and Page in the press.

Recently, Page said that he was fed up with Plant regarding Led Zeppelin plans.

Plant has previously said there is "zero" chance of a Led Zeppelin reunion

Page and Plant did reunite in the mid-1990s for an MTV special. That resulted in two albums, No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded and Walking into Clarksdale. The No Quarter album featured mostly reworked Zeppelin songs while the Clarksdale album was all new material. Jones, who actually wrote the Zeppelin song No Quarter, was not invited.

Since then, Plant has spent time recording and touring with a few bands doing mostly folk and Americana influenced music. Page has been less active, but has occasionally surfaced as a guest on stage with bands like Foo Fighters and The Black Crowes.

http://www.dc101.com/articles/classic-rock-music-news-477362/why-robert-plant-is-disappointed-in-12618338

It is so sad that they seem to be at odds. It just should not be this way IMHO...but if this is correct and Robert spoke with Jimmy about anything acoustic...it may put to rest a few things. I for one had no idea that he and Jimmy had discussed doing acoustic music together!

I love them all but IMHO, they could take a lesson from JPJ. You don't hear this kind of stuff from him as he is truly a class act...and if they did talk acoustic I would only hope that JPJ would have been included...just saying.

Why Robert Plant is Disappointed in Led Zeppelin Band Mate Jimmy Page

Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page are continuing their public disagreement over the possibility of a reunion.

In an interview with Express, Plant once again addressed Led Zeppelin rumors. Plant does not want to reunite Led Zeppelin. Plant explains that he feels bad for Page:

But, Plant added a new piece of information. He's not against working with Page. Robert adds, "A couple of years ago I said, 'If you've got anything acoustic, let me know. I'll give it a whirl.'" But, Plant explains, "He

just walked away. But we couldn't do anything proper. The weight of expectation is too great."

Led Zeppelin played one show in 2007 at a tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. That's the only full concert Led Zeppelin has performed since 1980.

After that show, Page, bassist John Paul Jones, and Jason Bonham (son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham) were all on board to keep on playing shows. Plant was not. The players went as far as auditioning other singers, but nothing ever surfaced.

Since then, there has been a consistent back and forth between Plant and Page in the press.

Recently, Page said that he was fed up with Plant regarding Led Zeppelin plans.

Plant has previously said there is "zero" chance of a Led Zeppelin reunion

Page and Plant did reunite in the mid-1990s for an MTV special. That resulted in two albums, No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded and Walking into Clarksdale. The No Quarter album featured mostly reworked Zeppelin songs while the Clarksdale album was all new material. Jones, who actually wrote the Zeppelin song No Quarter, was not invited.

Since then, Plant has spent time recording and touring with a few bands doing mostly folk and Americana influenced music. Page has been less active, but has occasionally surfaced as a guest on stage with bands like Foo Fighters and The Black Crowes.

http://www.dc101.com/articles/classic-rock-music-news-477362/why-robert-plant-is-disappointed-in-12618338

Leave it to plant to stir the pot hahah......basically saying he'd work with page, but not on big boisterous rock stuff. I've always thought it would be pleasant if the three surviving members just got out the stools and played a full acoustic record, no drums at all, just swaying away on acoustics.....

Will be curious as to how page responds to this one in the press....

Archived