What is your favorite ending to a Zeppelin song?

The Love That I Found

Your Favorite Ending To A Zeppelin Song  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite ending to a Zeppelin song?

• Your Time Is Gonna Come (The cross-fade into Black Mountain Side)
    • Thank You (Mellotron fades then returns)
    • Friends (Drone that merges into Celebration Day)
    • Since I've Been Loving You (Jones's fading organ)
    • The Crunge (Where's that confounded bridge?)
    • In My Time Of Dying (Ending cough and chatter)
    • I'm Gonna Crawl (Jones's dreamy fade away)
    • Other

• 3 weeks later...

That's The Way has a pretty good ending, Jonsey brings out the bass guitar for it. The HTWWW performance is great too (though Jonsey doesn't shine like on the studio) when the whole band stops then starts again and Plant sings "it ain't right". I've always loved the Whole Lotta Love outro as well, Plant sounds freaking amazing, and Bonzo just keeps smashing! HHWCID, HMMT and Ramble on are also great as well as No Quarter live 1977-1979 is one of my favorites.

Almost forgot my favorite outro of all which is Thank You live especially Southampton '73 Page and Plant both sound phenomenal! Definitely my favorite outro of any song or performance.

Edited by nick2632

• 1 month later...

Out of the ones you listed, I would choose "SIBLY", but I have a couple personal favorite Zep song endings that weren't on the list, and caused me to vote for "Other" on your list:

The Lemon Song

Over the Hills and Far Away (personal fav)

When the Levee Breaks

Great list though.

• 1 month later...

Could be plenty from the provided list, but right now for me it is the end of Hots on for Nowhere. It's like 'get some of this riff, rude eh?", Now get some more of it, finished. It's just a brilliant way to end a song.

Edited by osoz

Could be plenty from the provided list, but right now for me it is the end of Hots on for Nowhere. It's like 'get some of this riff, rude eh?", Now get some more of it, finished. It's just a brilliant way to end a song.

ctmpphpSHJreX.jpg

you beat me too it! I was going to say how about Hots on For Nowhere!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My mind first jumped to two songs: Bonham going wild on the kick to end Good Time Bad Times, and the swinging roar of the whole band in Out on the Tiles.

As far as songs go that don't fade, maybe Immigrant Song's dead stop after two and half minutes of fury, or the sweet, sweet release of The Ocean. Robert's "so good" to end The Ocean from 7/29/73 at the Garden is unreal.

Edited by Triplet Sixteenth

Yes, Hots On For Nowhere

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Nobody's Fault But Mine - I always thought it sounded like a black hole collapsing in on itself after Plant's brilliant stuttering ending 

On 8/19/2015 at 12:20 PM, Brigante said:

Achilles Last Stand, with the ending reversing the faded up intro.

Yes !

A few more

Tea for One - perfect hazy ending 

Hots on for Nowhere - as described above by many

Night Flight - Plant is magnificent

Bring it on Home - especially that last harmonica note

Heartbreaker - the way they end abruptly on "Heart!"  

Edited by John M

A few more

Sick Again - that is just a wild sound Page gets at the very end

Boogie with Stu - I like they way they syncopate the percussion at the end, then they left the laughing in 

Wanton Song - relentless riffing then Plant lets out one final wail that fades with an echo at the end.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Always loved the ending tom When the Levee Breaks. The fact that it's the last closing moment of their most perfect album - by the time to get to it you're exhausted with wonder and that thank you and goodnight slide and nonchalant un and down strum. God drops mike and walks off.... 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Really tough to pick just one, so I won't. :P

Studio: In My Time of Dying. From "cough" to Bonzo exclaiming that's GOT TO BE the one out there after laying down that epic track is such a good ending.

Live: Kashmir from 1977 June 21st (LTTE). The build up at the end and the absolutely blistering runs page pulls off before that perfect low note that then builds up slowly. I haven't heard a more powerful ending (maybe there is a better one, but the energy here is insane). Mike the Mike's recording is incredibly immersive too and helps convey what it must've been like. Definitely amongst their best endings live. Special mention would go to Sick Again from March, '75 Seattle. Jones bass is magical. It's not anything spectacular, but there's something about it that particular night (the No Quarter piano is also special). The clarity of his bass on that bootleg certainly helps.

• 2 years later...
On 5/4/2019 at 6:09 PM, Earthchief said:

Always loved the ending tom When the Levee Breaks. The fact that it's the last closing moment of their most perfect album - by the time to get to it you're exhausted with wonder and that thank you and goodnight slide and nonchalant un and down strum. God drops mike and walks off.... 

This. ^^ I was gonna basically say the same thing, read your post, and realized you said it perfectly.

Also ,I always loved Plant said he always liked when past bluesmen kept on going as the song fades.

two  others that come to mind is:the end of ramble on and all of my love.

So perfect!  

(Or should i say oh so good!!😜 yea , got to be my all time favorite )