ROBERT PLANT - LULLABY AND... THE CEASELESS ROAR

sam_webmaster

Oh I love Nirvana's theory - though I think it's too fanciful - about "breadcrumbs dropped for Jimmy" . I also reluctantly accept Steve A Jones' view that these echoes from the past may just be laziness...

But there are so many echoes, and not just lyrically .. I attended Robert's free BBC concert this evening and had plenty of time to study the set. Anyone who's seen him more recently than me will know if this is new or not, but the feather symbol was on the drum kit. And - very mystifying - at the extreme left side of the set was a large silver sword driven into the stage: right at the front but not specifically lit... I can't think what the hell it was doing there if not meant as a reference to his TSRTS fantasy sequence. Again, others will know if he routinely sticks swords in the stages he plays on ..

Also, if this isn't off the point too much: his set was half an hour and was entirely based around the new music apart from "What Is..."

I was there for the sound check ( in a public space, with a pretty big audience) and the band ran through all the songs until that point in the setlist - when he said "we don't need to do that one.." . Another band member, also on mic, said they did, so eventually the first verse was played ( while other songs were played in full at the sound check).

The first part of the set was televised live and one of the presenters read out the setlist at her feet, including "what is" - provoking a bit of a putdown at her expense which might have been funnier if she wasn't the host and wasn't live on air.

And the song itself? The band played well enough, given that no other band could play well enough on that song ( they're wonderful with their own material ) and RP totally sang his heart out. Result: massive applause, and a comment from RP "you're a bunch of softies" .

So that's what it is... we're all softies !

Here's a photo of the aforementioned sword. I haven't seen it appear on stage with Robert before.

post-20091-0-27275100-1409961179_thumb.j

Never thought I would ever say this....Just finished listening To Robert Plant's new album which will be released next week I believe. (He is also saying it's his "final work"). I'm so underwhelmed. I don't think I will even give it a second listen, yet alone buy it. It will be the only Plant recording I don't purchase. (I have not missed a Plant purchase since 1969!) I was hoping it would be more Mighty Rearranger, instead it's Chris Issac meets Geritol. Upon one listen... 1/2 a star out of 5.

I'd read words to that effect in an article recently and was really surprised by it. How does an artist just... stop creating? (Coincidentally, yesterday I watched Pacino's new film "The Humbling" at TIFF on this very topic). It's cyclical. Sometimes you need to stop and rest; maybe the inpsired flow has ceased for now or you need to figure out where/who the hell you are. To that end, there's a neat quote by C.P.Estes (storyteller, one of several of her helpful callings): "New seed is faithful. It roots deepest in the places that are most empty." So I very much hope that Plant called this his 'final work' or whatever in a 'thought at the moment' sort of way. Haven't heard the album yet, but it's getting pretty bad reviews here. Several comments about rehashing/revisiting. Maybe that whole 'kaleidoscope' comment is a way of reflecting on fragments that have passed? I get being lost ('home' can be an elusive place to find when you revisit places and they no longer seem familiar). I don't get deciding that there will not be a creative response to it - I mean, it's just a part of your essence as an artist. Looking forward to the concert, and, I very much hope, to new seeds.

I'd read words to that effect in an article recently and was really surprised by it. How does an artist just... stop creating? (Coincidentally, yesterday I watched Pacino's new film "The Humbling" at TIFF on this very topic). It's cyclical. Sometimes you need to stop and rest; maybe the inpsired flow has ceased for now or you need to figure out where/who the hell you are. To that end, there's a neat quote by C.P.Estes (storyteller, one of several of her helpful callings): "New seed is faithful. It roots deepest in the places that are most empty." So I very much hope that Plant called this his 'final work' or whatever in a 'thought at the moment' sort of way. Haven't heard the album yet, but it's getting pretty bad reviews here. Several comments about rehashing/revisiting. Maybe that whole 'kaleidoscope' comment is a way of reflecting on fragments that have passed? I get being lost ('home' can be an elusive place to find when you revisit places and they no longer seem familiar). I don't get deciding that there will not be a creative response to it - I mean, it's just a part of your essence as an artist. Looking forward to the concert, and, I very much hope, to new seeds.

There are people on here who don't enjoy his "solo" work and won't be open to listening to his stuff. Some just can't forgive him not reuiniting for tours with Jimmy n JPJ. Personally thats there loss and waste of energy. But thats up to them. Me, I have always enjoyed his post Zep work and will hopefully continue to do so and I will continue to go and see him play live. I am looking forward to the 4 shows i have lined up in november. The press reviews have been positive so I rake what some here say with a pinch of salt. Some know it alls ought to just stop posting about it, if they don't like it then say so once then shut up.

Hello:

I am in small town rural Ontario with a "big box" store being the only place to buy cd's now. Robert's cd is not there at this time. I hope to be in London Ontario next week. I'll see if I can find it there. I also know of an independent record shop in another town that I would rather deal with. I will see if that store has the cd.

Juliet

PS I have The Mighty Rearranger and Band of Joy cd's. I prefer the first cd. I saw Robert and Strange Sensation in concert when they were on tour to promote the cd. It has a special meaning to me because of the experience of hearing Robert and his band live...in 05..in London Ontario Canada.

PSS Robert: Please return to London Ontario with your latest band...I cannot get to Toronto for your show @ Massey Hall...

Robert Plant would like to be Julian Cope(weird culty artist that will never reform his old band)

once you come to terms with that it all falls into place.I am afraid like all Plants recent work

(which i buy more out of nostalgia/loyalty) it will bear a few spins then will be consigned to the shelf.

Does anybody really believe that he has ever produced anything that measures up to his former bands work?

Am i the only one out here that thinks that Walking into Clarksdale production apart, is streets ahead of anything in RP's back catalogue?

What bothers me and concerns me most is that Roberts work since Mighty Rearanger has lacked fire and edge

The new album continues that trend of lackluster arrangements and tired vocals. Some songs are fine in their element but others lack the real intensity that Robert used to be so proud of. Puzzling.

A raised sword is a symbol of action, power, and will to fight.

A sword stabbed downward is a symbol of finality, ending of sruggle, retirement from the fray.

Is this the end or just a beginning....

I can't find a better thread to put this on: it's about vinyl in general not LZ ..

I want to access Robert's album. It's currently FREE to stream on itunes, £9 on Cd and £24 on vinyl ...

He tells us the vinyl sound matters and we get that . But.

Sad so sad but personal wealth also matters . I wouldn't preclude paying that or more for vinyl but I'd need to be convinced ..

What is that part with the woman singing in "Embrace Another Fall"? I swear I've heard that before in a RP record but can't remember where. Also, the vocal melody appears to be "lifted" from another tune.

It's from Life Begin Again, his song with Afro Celt Soundsystem

There are people on here who don't enjoy his "solo" work and won't be open to listening to his stuff. Some just can't forgive him not reuiniting for tours with Jimmy n JPJ. Personally thats there loss and waste of energy. But thats up to them. Me, I have always enjoyed his post Zep work and will hopefully continue to do so and I will continue to go and see him play live. I am looking forward to the 4 shows i have lined up in november. The press reviews have been positive so I rake what some here say with a pinch of salt. Some know it alls ought to just stop posting about it, if they don't like it then say so once then shut up.

Well yours is a slightly different path than the one I was addressing, but to your point, people like the music for a variety of reasons. Sure, some really sound resentful that Plant refused to reunite Zep (a misnomer). I've seen these guys at Page/Plant/Jones concerts looking like they refuse to accept it's no longer 1973. But other people, myself included, don't want them to get together again (MAYBE if there is NEW music made, but even when Page/Plant got together, the live show was 90% Zep songs; they'd basically be their own cover band) yet do not like Plant's new album.

Plant has gone on some very interesting musical journeys post-Zep, and some experiments have been more successful/accepted than others. Plus he absolutely kills it live; he always owns the room and the band' s musicianship is always top notch. If some prefer not to join this particular jaunt, fine, but you're right, reiterating that point is similar to those who insist repeatedly that P/P/J must get back together.

The allure of Zep is ever strong, but so is the nostalgia that one can get stuck in because of it. Give me the here and now any day. I love going to see them live, each in his element, whatever it is at any given creative point.

I got mine straight from Nonesuch here in the states yesterday with ltd ed print. To me this album is breathtaking and beautiful. Maybe it is a generational thing... I grew up with Zep Loved Zep...still do and listen to them all the time. At 51, however I really appreciate and enjoy the recent twists and turns of Robert's career. No...this will not be every LZ fans' cup of tea. For me though The last 5 cd's have been just better and better and it sort of is all tied together in this album. Sorry for the people who don't like it but they have got the remasters to listen to...I'll be playing this every day for a while which I do not often do. I burned a lossless one for the car so I don't wear it out. So looking forward to Brooklyn on the 28th.... Peace to all if anyone really despises this ,Ill buy a couple back for a few bucks in the states to give to friends as long as they are mint. I put mine in a jewel case cuz I hate cardboard packaging w/ no inner sleeve! One thing about both Robert and Zep ...I wish they'd use jewel cases!

I have now listened to Robert's "Lullaby..." (on the stream I mentioned before) several times now, and I like it. It's very lovely music and there are times that listening to something that is more beautiful than it is groundbreaking is just right. It is still available to listen to at thecurrent.org if one puts First Listen: Robert Plant in the search box on top. More importantly, I wanted to share that there is an interview with Robert to listen to at the same site and there is a CONTEST to win a pair of free flyaway/hotel/tics to his Chicago show there!! Goodluck! Would love it if one of us big Zeppelin/Robert fans at this site won that!

Mine was also delivered Friday and I have listened to the vinyl a few times. I love it and the more I listen to it I like it even more. Beautiful album IMHO and Robert's voice is outstanding on this:-) It's really awesome with a great set of head phones :peace:

A sword stabbed downward is a symbol of finality, ending of struggle, retirement from the fray.

I agree with you (there's a first). I'll add that a sword stabbed downward is also a symbol of peace, though it would seem to me displaying one a concert stage is for theatrical (entertainment) purposes and not meant to be taken to literally.

From the London Times... (posting since it's behind a paywall)

Robert Plant: Lullaby . . . and the Ceaseless Roar
Robert Plant has taken a dignified route and provides some of the most tender moments of his career
  • 10_194_143_15_763056c.jpg
    Robert Plant has taken a dignified route and provides some of the most tender moments of his career
Will Hodgkinson
Last updated at 12:15AM, September 5 2014
stars_stencil_a.png

Jimmy Page replied, when asked in March about the forces preventing a Led Zeppelin reunion from happening: “It’s Robert Plant, isn’t it?” Around the same time, Plant offered a curt “zero” on the chances of his old band getting back together. While Page would like nothing more than to strike the hammer of the gods once more, Plant has spent much of his adult life distancing himself from the most decadent rock’n’roll band of them all.

It’s not that Plant wants to rid himself of the memory of Led Zeppelin — he has been doing a version of Rock and Roll in concerts, albeit one featuring a solo spot from an African one-stringed fiddle — as much as emerge from the shadow of such an overwhelming force. Plant’s biggest post-Zeppelin release to date is 2007’s Raising Sand, an excursion into spacious Americana with the understated singer Alison Krauss. Now comes Lullaby . . . and the Ceaseless Roar, an album that combines everything from Celtic folk to American bluegrass to north African rhythms, slaps all kinds of electronic manipulations over the top and uses the whole mélange as a bed on which to lay Plant’s most personal lyrics to date: old age, loneliness, hopefulness and the realities of love get explored in poetic detail. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is brave and engaged and, for all its exotic flourishes, rooted in reality.

Led Zeppelin did explore the quieter corners of folk and country when they weren’t busy inventing heavy metal, and Little Maggie, a traditional bluegrass tune about the type of no-good woman who has inspired about half the world’s folk songs, is not a million miles from Zep’s Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You. There the similarity between Led Zeppelin and the solo journey ends, as Plant leaves the golden-god image of his youth to put moments of reflection against music that cherry-picks from around the world. Pocketful of Golden combines Gambian griot music with electronic dissonance, and a touch of Eastern drone, with exquisitely sad words about falling in love with someone you go on to lose. It’s tempting to align lines such as “red hair, raven hair gold like the sun, all of us in motion, moving on and gone” to Plant’s recent split from the singer Patty Griffin, whose hair is indeed red-gold like the sun, but whether the words are personal or not, you feel Plant’s conviction.

Sometimes the throwing-together of styles is overwhelming — it’s a leap to go from Nineties trip-hop to heavy rock to Welsh bardic verse, as the listener must on Embrace Another Fall — but when Plant simplifies things he provides some of the most tender moments of his career. His voice is simply remarkable on A Stolen Kiss, a minor-key piano piece about how “love waits for no one, there’s so little time. It’s cruel and elusive and so hard to find.” You feel that Plant has never revealed himself more, or that his audience will ever get closer to him. However exciting the sight of Plant pretending to be his 25-year-old self and screaming “bay-beh” in too-tight trousers for a Led Zeppelin reunion would be, this is surely a more dignified route for a 66-year-old former golden god to take.

(Nonesuch, out Monday)

On first listen, RP is not embarrassed to show that he is 60 plus years old. In fact, he wears it proudly.

This is some of the strangest, and in one or two cases, the most annoying music he's ever made (Turn It Up, with it's staticy background, and at times so loud and boisterous as to be unlistenable). And in some cases, easily the most beautiful music he's ever made (A Stolen Kiss).

Once again, an artist who could play it safe and easy, and instead he throws caution to the wind...some will love it and some will jump off the RP train with this one. Worth a listen either way.

Archived