"not like Clapton Beck or Page"

andrew r

In the U.K. Telegraph newspaper today one of Planty's increasingly eccentric

interviews contains this nugget "the reason i like Justin Adams guitar playing

is because he doesn't come from the usual place,you know Clapton Beck ,Page"

Might i have the temerity to suggest that the "usual" place might be the school of master craftsmen ,

and that Adams hasn't the ability to share the same room let alone stage with the aforementioned

trio. Planty you got to love him Ha!

In the U.K. Telegraph newspaper today one of Planty's increasingly eccentric

interviews contains this nugget "the reason i like Justin Adams guitar playing

is because he doesn't come from the usual place,you know Clapton Beck ,Page"

Might i have the temerity to suggest that the "usual" place might be the school of master craftsmen ,

and that Adams hasn't the ability to share the same room let alone stage with the aforementioned

trio. Planty you got to love him Ha!

Wherever Adams is coming from, he's an excellent, refreshing guitarist.

But it is an odd comment, because I don't think Clapton, Beck or Page come from any one place..

They're very different players.. especially today. They're only really lumped together because of the Yardbirds connection.

Blow By Blow sounds nothing like 461 Ocean Blvd which sounds nothing like Houses Of The Holy... etc...

But it is an odd comment, because I don't think Clapton, Beck or Page come from any one place..

They're very different players.. especially today. They're only really lumped together because of the Yardbirds connection.

Blow By Blow sounds nothing like 461 Ocean Blvd which sounds nothing like Houses Of The Holy... etc...

Agreed. Robert should just shut his mouth. He could have made his point in a thousand different ways, without dragging Jimmy's name into it, but he just could not resist a subtle jab.

That's exactly his point, he is trying to say, Adams found something enough of his own, even when you comapre him to all three and even if those three pretty much did everything you can do on a guitar! Plant is just saying he is moving on and that indeed, he can still find something new!

I didn't read this as a jab at all....I think Clapton, Page and Beck are all blues based guitarists and maybe Robert see's Adams as a different guitar style from theirs.

Perhaps I misread his intention, but I can't help but assume the worst about his comments lately, given their somewhat critical nature.

Justin Adams plays a set list filled with Page compositions. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Page isnt working on any of Justin Adam's tunes. Bizarre comparison.

Justin Adams plays a set list filled with Page compositions. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Page isnt working on any of Justin Adam's tunes. Bizarre comparison.

Jimmy Page worked on all sorts of people's tunes! ;)

I read it like Matjaz1. Sounds like he is saying "there are only a billion guitarists who come from the Beck, Clapton, Page school. I found one that made his own graduate course". Doesn't sound like a slap at Page at all, more of a compliment to his new guitar player.

I read it like Matjaz1. Sounds like he is saying "there are only a billion guitarists who come from the Beck, Clapton, Page school. I found one that made his own graduate course". Doesn't sound like a slap at Page at all, more of a compliment to his new guitar player.

My take as well.

That's exactly his point, he is trying to say, Adams found something enough of his own, even when you comapre him to all three and even if those three pretty much did everything you can do on a guitar! Plant is just saying he is moving on and that indeed, he can still find something new!

No. I agree and as I said I really enjoy Adams' playing. He's a very inventive and unique guitarist..

My only point was that Page, Beck and Clapton aren't really from the same cloth either...

They've all found something all their own. They're very different players if you ask me.

I don't think Robert ever went for a "Jimmy Page clone" when picking a guitarist for his solo projects either. So why would he now?

It's an odd comment because he pretty much NEVER went for a guitarist that was from that school of guitar... whatever that is..

Robbie Blunt couldn't have been any more different from Jimmy Page style wise, sound wise etc.. Same with Justin Adams.

The only one that reminded me at all of Jimmy was Doug Boyle ... and that was more due to his stage presence than anything in his playing ... which was also excellent..

No. I agree and as I said I really enjoy Adams' playing. He's a very inventive and unique guitarist..

My only point was that Page, Beck and Clapton aren't really from the same cloth either...

They've all found something all their own. They're very different players if you ask me.

I don't think Robert ever went for a "Jimmy Page clone" when picking a guitarist for his solo projects either. So why would he now?

It's an odd comment because he pretty much NEVER went for a guitarist that was from that school of guitar... whatever that is..

Robbie Blunt couldn't have been any more different from Jimmy Page style wise, sound wise etc.. Same with Justin Adams.

The only one that reminded me at all of Jimmy was Doug Boyle ... and that was more due to his stage presence than anything in his playing ... which was also excellent..

I read it, as with everything Plant says these days with a weary shake of my head.The only thing that seems to matter

is that these musicians must not be Jimmy Page!Rather than having superior ability they must play half a Zeppelin set list but must bring something different (no Clapton Beck or Page) to the mix.The difference being a total negating of the immediate past unless it involves a blind dead itinerant bluesman that played a one string homeade guitar in the Niger delta in 1919! You gotta keep it real Maaan!

Agreed. Robert should just shut his mouth. He could have made his point in a thousand different ways, without dragging Jimmy's name into it, but he just could not resist a subtle jab.

Totally agree. Wish he would stop talking about anyone other than himself. I know, some Plant fans feel he is justified in saying whatever, whenever, but I think all those moms out there who said "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything" were right in this case. Plant just makes himself seem nasty and bitter with all the comments about Page and even JPJ (he's pulling the car up, or whatever). As I've said before, I want to like Plant more than I do, but he doesn't make it easy. I've never heard JPJ say anything nasty, and hold him in higher esteem as a person because of it.

People usully talk about themselves quite a lot in interviews, it's normal and his ways trully are about looking for the new, so why not talk about it!? And he also has demons from the past, no wonder he wants to make it clear, he tries to avoid it!

Totally agree. Wish he would stop talking about anyone other than himself. I know, some Plant fans feel he is justified in saying whatever, whenever, but I think all those moms out there who said "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything" were right in this case. Plant just makes himself seem nasty and bitter with all the comments about Page and even JPJ (he's pulling the car up, or whatever). As I've said before, I want to like Plant more than I do, but he doesn't make it easy. I've never heard JPJ say anything nasty, and hold him in higher esteem as a person because of it.

Who should he talk about then? Strange way of putting it. Do other stars talk about other musicians all the time.

He has an album to promote and don't forget Justin did bring something new into Roberts musical life whether you like it or not and Robert enjoys the influences and style otherwise he wopuldnt work with him.

Justin isn't from the same era background or influences that CB& page are, how could he be? if he was Robert wouldn't be doing the stuff he is doing.

Archived