Fire (Say You're Gonna Leave Me)

RoundingRover

Dark Lord, you ignorant slut. There's finally a thread for the great lost song Fire and you use it to grandstand a crackpot theory about some phantom Jimmy Page misstep. Maybe you should find a Radioactive thread to fall apart in. But first, isn't it the very riff you're complaining about now that you thought connected Radioactive to Fire?

Uh Oh,

This. According to Jones, he and Plant had such an influence on the album because they got to the studio early and wrote/worked out a couple of songs. Page and Bonzo jumped in to help flesh out Plant/Jone's songs when they got there. Not to say that Page was in great shape, but it's definitely exaggerated.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with "Fire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXRP5tUpCk

Whoa! Now I am definitely on tenterhooks, eagerly awaiting the release of the deluxe version ITTOD! B)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I used to really like it til Paul Rogers stole the guitar credit :). I might add that there has been no definitive proof of the claim as yet, although the anecdotal evidence is persuasive.

Here is the Paul Rodgers Radioactive quote from the Tolinski "Light and Shade" interview book. (page 237)

Tolinski-- You play a lot of guitar on the album

Rodgers-- "Not a lot of people know this, but I actually played the solo on "Radioactive".

It was a finger exercise that British blues pioneer Alexis Korner taught me years and years earlier, and it was so robotic and weird that I wanted it to be part of the song.

When I think back it was actually kind of ballsy of me to say to Jimmy Page, "I'll be doing the solo on this one, Jim". But he was fine with it, and he contributed some great chords."

Edited by ledsox

Here is the Paul Rodgers Radioactive quote from the Tolinski "Light and Shade" interview book. (page 237)

Tolinski-- You play a lot of guitar on the album

Rodgers-- "Not a lot of people know this, but I actually played the solo on "Radioactive".

It was a finger exercise that British blues pioneer Alexis Korner taught me years and years earlier, and it was so robotic and weird that I wanted it to be part of the song.

When I think back it was actually kind of ballsy of me to say to Jimmy Page, "I'll be doing the solo on this one, Jim". But he was fine with it, and he contributed some great chords."

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing this. It really is a brilliant solo, and it is conducive to the song title, Radioactive.

This. According to Jones, he and Plant had such an influence on the album because they got to the studio early and wrote/worked out a couple of songs. Page and Bonzo jumped in to help flesh out Plant/Jone's songs when they got there. Not to say that Page was in great shape, but it's definitely exaggerated.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with "Fire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXRP5tUpCk

Chorus has a very When the levee breaks feel to it

Does anyone know why, though, that it wasn't bothered with for ITTOD? It seems very complete, at least, musically speaking (lyrically might have needed some work), and was much more in spirit with Zep's 'sound', but more mature--it'd have fit on ITTOD more than some of the other songs. I mean, why it never turned up even on say, Coda, is beyond me.

The ending of the demo suggests, though, Page wanted it to be longer--like it fades to what Page might have envisioned as a slow breakdown part.

I just hear another classic, epic in the making in this song.

• 2 weeks later...

Complete and utter rubbish! - That's my opinion. The whole "I read it on the internet" so it must be true.

Produce an audio interview or video interview. All I know is that I saw (and) heard this performed live by Jimmy and as far as I'm concerned Jimmy played it on the recording as well. (I've played guitar as well for over 30 yrs) Paul's guitar style is VERY different from Jimmy's.

Plus, Jimmy has songwriting credit on the track.

Complete and utter rubbish! - That's my opinion. The whole "I read it on the internet" so it must be true.

Produce an audio interview or video interview. All I know is that I saw (and) heard this performed live by Jimmy and as far as I'm concerned Jimmy played it on the recording as well. (I've played guitar as well for over 30 yrs) Paul's guitar style is VERY different from Jimmy's.

Plus, Jimmy has songwriting credit on the track.

Well I guess that Paul is a liar then eh? and just because Jimmy is credited doesn't mean he came up with the part in question..

Not to move the thread off topic further but the references Paul makes in playing the solo on Radioactive can be traced back. An earlier reference of Paul stating he played the solo on Radioactive can be found on page 197 from a book by Steven Rosen called "Free at Last" from 2001. Here's the brief passage quoted of Paul: "We did a lot of different things; 'Radioactive' was strangely unique," reflects Rodgers. "I played the guitar solo on that." Offhand I don't see a reason why Paul would misrepresent his playing the solo on the song. as there's nothing to gain from it. As for Fire, I would love to have a cleaner version of the work in progress. Hopefully one day.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

• 4 months later...

How is it that people spend hundreds of words on "Radioactive" (totally off topic) and my post mainly on Fire 4 or 5 lines gets deleted ??

Obviously senior members can do what they want, that is the way of the world. I mean there was an slightly nasty argument going on

For a while as well. Look, if seniors rule, then state that and then I will have a understanding. Of course anybody would delete

Gibberish or so on, or off topic stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess that Paul is a liar then eh? and just because Jimmy is credited doesn't mean he came up with the part in question..

Never said he was a liar but asked people to produce evidence to back up their opinions as statements of fact. Like this:

Paul: "I must admit, I'm really more a bit of a dabbler. But, I did do the guitar solo in 'Radioactive' with The Firm."

Binky: "You're kidding!"

Paul: "A lot of people said, 'You had the balls to play lead guitar when you had Jimmy Page?!' It wasn't balls. I wanted to get the effect of radioactivity musically. I wanted it as an effect, y'know. I knew how to get it."

Binky: "Oh my God, I know the riff you're talking about! That lick is so sick and dark, Paul!"

Paul: "You know, that riff was taught to me by Alexis Korner. It's actually a finger exercise for guitarists. It's a funny one. Your fingers don't want to do it. It's really counterintuitive. But, back to my singing without an instrument, you probably know this yourself [Thank you very much for that, Paul], you can write a song on a piano, guitar, bass. When you show the band, okay, it goes like this, your instructions become part of the song... You can't stop playing, that's now part of the song. Like 'Runnin' In The Pack'... suddenly, I have to be playing piano. That's really how a lot of things happened. When I started life as a musician, I played bass. I used to take the bass off to sing Solomon Burke's 'Everybody Needs Somebody' [yeah, he sang this to me, too!] and you needed your hands to point to the audience during the 'You! You! You!' part. I discovered if I didn't play the bass, I could interact with the audience much more normally, y'know what I mean. I really don't play instruments often on stage. I prefer it that way."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/binky-philips/interview-paul-rodgers-fr_b_5888186.html

Huffington post seem pretty reputable?

Probably get deleted but strangely enough if Paul did write/play that weird part Page never played it live. Check the boots.

That's not entirely true - you've only got to check out the video of The Firm at the Hammersmith Odeon to see that Page pretty much plays the recorded solo there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Perhaps Page did play Paul's solo on some gigs, but the boots I have,and when I saw them live, no way

Page played a strange sequence that could be called a cousin to the studio solo, but it DEFINETLY was not

the studio solo. And Fire, what a shame... Great song, AND didn't sound like any previous Zep.