Fire (Say You're Gonna Leave Me)

RoundingRover

I love everything about Fire. Page's new wave guitar tone, the thunderous drums, and the ascending guitar figure. Plus it wasn't recorded in ABBA'S state of the art studio which made everything sound like it was recorded under a duvet.

So much better than a lot of the stuff on ITTOD. I mean, would you rather have Fire or friggin Hot Dog.

I love everything about Fire. Page's new wave guitar tone, the thunderous drums, and the ascending guitar figure. Plus it wasn't recorded in ABBA'S state of the art studio which made everything sound like it was recorded under a duvet.

So much better than a lot of the stuff on ITTOD. I mean, would you rather have Fire or friggin Hot Dog.

Both. Replace Carouselambra with Fire and Wearing and Tearing.

Led sox, very cool and tastefully done. Perhaps this is blasphemy but the opening figure actually

reminds me of what the Edge would later do with U2 with all the delay pedal stuff. I like the Edge a lot

but like Page said about Townsend, and applies to the Edge as well, "He certainly has his limitations".

I am speechless. Someone else who just doesn't "get" the Firm. Believe me I tried. But "Fire" to my

ears was very unique and also didn't sound like any other Zep. This shows as well that there still was

some real spark left. Actually I thought as well that ITTOD was creative song-writing wise , but the

performances  and the production were way too slick. But as everyone knows, Page was no longer

conducting the orchestra.

Yeah, it is reminiscent of The Edge. The first two minutes are better than anything Page did with The Firm.

I am speechless. Someone else who just doesn't "get" the Firm. Believe me I tried. But "Fire" to my

ears was very unique and also didn't sound like any other Zep. This shows as well that there still was

some real spark left. Actually I thought as well that ITTOD was creative song-writing wise , but the

performances  and the production were way too slick. But as everyone knows, Page was no longer

conducting the orchestra.

I didn't care for the Firm either, except for Midnight Moonlight, and we all know where that one originated. 

• 1 month later...

Both. Replace Carouselambra with Fire and Wearing and Tearing.

Ho yeah! Work those out, and the whole album changes.

By the way, I've no doubt Paul played the Radioactive bit, and couldn't care less. Paul is a good guitar player that has always been willing to let someone else take the spotlight. We all know that. Given Paul's record of innovation with guitar synth, etc, the Radioactive thing makes perfect sense.

Edited by Sheik Paladin
mambo!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/10/2015 at 11:34 AM, ledsox said:

Here's a link to an extended version of Fire I put together with audacity.   I included a short spacey manipulated middle section and then back to the song.  I tried to finish it for the boys.;)

I don´t see the link....Please

• 7 months later...

On 9/18/2014 at 6:01 AM, Badgeholder Still said:

Dark Lord, you ignorant slut. There's finally a thread for the great lost song Fire and you use it to grandstand a crackpot theory about some phantom Jimmy Page misstep. Maybe you should find a Radioactive thread to fall apart in. But first, isn't it the very riff you're complaining about now that you thought connected Radioactive to Fire?

Ha haha yea really!

Ok so where is the link for "fire" that someone worked on?

I DONT SEE IT, Anybody..

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2014 at 8:51 PM, The Dark Lord said:

Such a great song, and so complementary to the material created during the ITTOD sessions. It would appear that this song got a massive re-work, and eventually re-surfaced as Radioactive by The Firm. Not so much in structure, but in Jimmy's approach to his playing.

I see you and raise you one.. I think it's "Closer". Same riff, uptempo/downtempo. 

Listen to that song “fire” glad it was left off. Sounds way to much like Yes.

zeppelin new way better than us what they wanted to release. Some asshole breaks into Jimmy Pages house steals a bunch of tapes and we will never have a chance of Jimmy remastering these taps for official release. What would have been cool is to hear how they were working on  Their 1980 set list for America. Some promising stuff their.

I only recently heard "Saccharine" by Coverdale Page, and only recently learned that the wonderful Shake my Tree riff may have been around since 1980. Those two tracks have me in a sort of funk about a lost Zeppelin album. I could populate an entire album of what ifs.. What if the very happy vibe of Summer 1980 had a riff laden happy ending... It's a whole topic to me. Not sure if y'all agree.

13 minutes ago, LurksReturnington said:

only recently learned that the wonderful Shake my Tree riff may have been around since 1980

Jimmy said it dates back to the ITTOD sessions but it was just the riff. They didn't do anything with it.

20 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy said it dates back to the ITTOD sessions but it was just the riff. They didn't do anything with it.

Until '95.  Steve, any info on why they revisited this, did Plant even remember the song?  If not how ironic.  Has a more Wanton feel with that choppy 95 rhythm.

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2019 at 11:44 AM, LurksReturnington said:

I only recently heard "Saccharine" by Coverdale Page, and only recently learned that the wonderful Shake my Tree riff may have been around since 1980. Those two tracks have me in a sort of funk about a lost Zeppelin album. I could populate an entire album of what ifs.. What if the very happy vibe of Summer 1980 had a riff laden happy ending... It's a whole topic to me. Not sure if y'all agree.

I'm with your brother! Speaking of Shake my tree if I recall correctly Robert Plant sang the Coverdale /Page "Shake my tree" during the Plant /Page shows at least once! ( yes plant sang coverdale's lyrics?) ( not that there's anything wrong with that)

If you ask me I think Plant lost another bet to Jimmy LOL no different than when he must have lost another bet to Jimmy when he sang Stairway to Heaven with Jimmy on Japan TV.( not that there's anything wrong with that either) I find both these incidents very strange and out of character for Robert .very strange indeed! the only logical answer I can come up with is Plant was just paying up on some Secret lost Wagers between him and Jimmy!