2014 College Football: The BCS is Dead!

Strider

I kept waiting and waiting for someone to start a college football thread for this season...couldn't wait any longer.

Welcome to the Post-BCS era folks! The BCS is dead. While there still isn't a true NCAA playoff as there is in Division II or basketball, at least this year's format is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately while the postseason is getting better, the actual state of the game is getting worse, in my opinion.

I speak, of course, about the abominable scourge that I feel is swallowing up and ruining the charm of college football: These gargantuan Super Conferences. Conference alignments and old rivalries are getting all screwed up. With 14 and 16 or more team conferences, schedules are becoming unbalanced...teams don't play the same division foes.

But as a long-time fan, I find it hard to resist the lure of college football. The colours, the songs, the crisp autumn air of November games...the USC Song Girls. :wub:

The big game today is probably Georgia @ South Carolina. If South Carolina loses, their playoff chances are pretty much null and void.

Now, as I posted in the "what's your favourite football team?" thread, USC (University of Southern California) is my team in college football.

I know jabe is an Alabama man, as is Lake of Shadows, who may still be lurking about. Virginia is for the Virginia teams, natch...I think she's more Hokie than Cavalier. Rick and Walter fly the Syracuse flag. jb126 cheers for Boston College (USC @ BC tonight at 8pm EST/5pm PST!)...as perhaps does KB too?

That's all I can recall...if anyone wishes to declare their team allegiance, feel free! How many college football fans do we have here on the Forum?

I'm a big college football fan, but I agree with some of your reservations, Strider. I'm a fan of the SEC and the ACC. I'm a fan because I and many of my relatives and friends graduated from those schools: Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Auburn, Georgia, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, etc. So I root for both conferences.

I think you'll find some fellow SEC fans here Pagefan55.

Strider,I agree.College football use to be fun! Now I could care less,rather go to local high school game,...

BC is 'my' team locally,yet I think USC is going to kick the crap out them tonight.Doug Flutie is not coming back! :wave:

KB

jb126 thinks USC will win by 2+ touchdowns but I'm not quite sold on USC's return from sanction hell just yet. Being a cross-country road game, BC might give USC more trouble than people expect.

I have been a college football fan my entire life. That's the inevitable outcome when your father played for Notre Dame

And I couldn't agree with you more Strider. So many of the traditional rivalries have gone by the wayside in these creations of "mega conferences". It just makes me shake my head.

My teams are the Fighting Irish and Michigan

Now that this rivalry has come to an end, I will no longer be so conflicted. -:)

Does Syracuse have a football team??? ;)

Haha very funny. You know damn well they do...one of the greatest football players of all-time was an Orangeman: Jim Brown!

I have been a college football fan my entire life. That's the inevitable outcome when your father played for Notre Dame

And I couldn't agree with you more Strider. So many of the traditional rivalries have gone by the wayside in these creations of "mega conferences". It just makes me shake my head.

My teams are the Fighting Irish and Michigan

Now that this rivalry has come to an end, I will no longer be so conflicted. -:)

Notre Dame and Michigan? That is an interesting combo...it's like being a LA Dodger and SF Giant fan.

At least we still have the USC-Notre Dame game.

Haha very funny. You know damn well they do...one of the greatest football players of all-time was an Orangeman: Jim Brown!

Notre Dame and Michigan? That is an interesting combo...it's like being a LA Dodger and SF Giant fan.

At least we still have the USC-Notre Dame game.

What can I say. Drugs booze and sex at Michigan, and I still managed to get a degree or two. -:)

USC vs ND will live forever

And why is USC having such a hard time with BC?

I too am disheartened by the "mega conferences" and the loss of traditional rivalries like Okl/Nebr, Texas/Texas A&M and Mich/ND. But the good news is that the horrid BCS is gone and we will now have a play-off. I have no doubt the 4 team play-off will soon expand. Personally, I'd like to see a sixteen team play-off, but I'd settle for an eight team play-off.

This weekend is the reason I think college football is the greatest sport to watch each season.....BC knocking off USC, Virginia Tech beating highly touted Ohio State last week and then losing to East Carolina this week and of course, S. Carolina beating the odds makers and beating Georgia.

It gets better each weekend.........

If anyone is disheartened by the loss of traditional rivalries, you should be pissed at the school you root for. They can still schedule them, but they won't because another tough, emotional game on the schedule could cost them a chance at the "playoffs". Even though I hate the Gators, they still keep Florida St. on their schedule - even with their SEC slate.

Well, we're 2-0 after a tough win at Central Michigan this past weekend and Villanova the first weekend of the season. I never even knew Villanova had a team - seriously!

Looking forward to see how they match up against tougher opponents. I know the 'cuse plays Notre Dame sometime this season.

Mrs. Walter and her side of the family are garnet and gold FSU all the way. Never a fun day for me when the Orange and Seminoles square off in football season!

If anyone is disheartened by the loss of traditional rivalries, you should be pissed at the school you root for. They can still schedule them, but they won't because another tough, emotional game on the schedule could cost them a chance at the "playoffs". Even though I hate the Gators, they still keep Florida St. on their schedule - even with their SEC slate.

Walter,doesn't the NCAA have a say in each schools schedule? :unsure:

Walter,doesn't the NCAA have a say in each schools schedule? :unsure:

No, the schools make their own schedules. They usually sign contracts with the other schools with home/home match ups, or neutral sites involved. Obviously there are contracts within their own conferences that must be abide bye, and they have to beat at least 6 Division I schools to qualify for a bowl game, but otherwise schools can fill in the rest however they choose. That's why Florida were to play Idaho and Eastern Michigan in their first two games, before the SEC games and the annual FSU game to end the regular season. Btw, the Idaho game was canceled due to weather and they both chose not to make up the game in October when they both had off weeks.

No, the schools make their own schedules. They usually sign contracts with the other schools with home/home match ups, or neutral sites involved. Obviously there are contracts within their own conferences that must be abide bye, and they have to beat at least 6 Division I schools to qualify for a bowl game, but otherwise schools can fill in the rest however they choose. That's why Florida were to play Idaho and Eastern Michigan in their first two games, before the SEC games and the annual FSU game to end the regular season. Btw, the Idaho game was canceled due to weather and they both chose not to make up the game in October when they both had off weeks.

:thanku: Walter!

I too am disheartened by the "mega conferences" and the loss of traditional rivalries like Okl/Nebr, Texas/Texas A&M and Mich/ND. But the good news is that the horrid BCS is gone and we will now have a play-off. I have no doubt the 4 team play-off will soon expand. Personally, I'd like to see a sixteen team play-off, but I'd settle for an eight team play-off.

This weekend is the reason I think college football is the greatest sport to watch each season.....BC knocking off USC, Virginia Tech beating highly touted Ohio State last week and then losing to East Carolina this week and of course, S. Carolina beating the odds makers and beating Georgia.

:( That was awful.

Yes, the upsets and unpredictability are what make college football so exciting and fun to watch. And the sheer enthusiasm of the college crowds too.

Archived