The Retro Thread

SozoZoso

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, luvlz2 said:

Forgot I had one of these as a kid, it was a really cool toy. This thread is taking me back, :)

A couple friends and I blew him and the 6 Million Dollar Man (and his bionic eye) to Hell with a couple of M-80s.

If it's any consolation, Knieval died in the line of duty.

Do you care to know what happened to Stretch Armstrong?

I still have a few original Han Solos and 1 Darth Vadar. They are worth thousands. Except a friend put one of the Solos in a glass of water after ESB and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Depreciation, but it was appreciated as a kid, :lol:

30 minutes ago, apantherfrommd said:

A couple friends and I blew him and the 6 Million Dollar Man (and his bionic eye) to Hell with a couple of M-80s.

I still have a few original Han Solos and 1 Darth Vadar. They are worth thousands. Except a friend put one of the Solos in a glass of water after ESB and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Depreciation, but it was appreciated as a kid, :lol:

Too funny! I knew a kid who would spend untold hours making model ships only to take them to a pond, place them on a board, set them on fire and watch them burn down to nothing. I think that inspired us to take those small green plastic Army guys and set them on fire. When "the war" was over those guys were all dead or missing limbs. Good times!

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Too funny! I knew a kid who would spend untold hours making model ships only to take them to a pond, place them on a board, set them on fire and watch them burn down to nothing. I think that inspired us to take those small green plastic Army guys and set them on fire. When "the war" was over those guys were all dead or missing limbs. Good times!

I used to blow them up in their fox holes with firecrackers. :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, SteveAJones said:

:hysterical: Burn baby Burn! Yeah old times definitely were the most imaginative and inventive. May I add - destructive and the best of times. :drinks:

We watched this video. She said "Cool"! This took a lot of work. Not your average overnight production!

That was one poor sniper. :lol: Loved it. "We're the greens! We don't take prisoners!" Thank you.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:28 AM, redrum said:

I used to blow them up in their fox holes with firecrackers. :lol:

Fire in the hole! :lol: BOOM! Same here. Good times.

Edited by apantherfrommd

4 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

:hysterical: Burn baby Burn! Yeah old times definitely were the most imaginative and inventive. May I add - destructive and the best of times. :drinks:

We watched this video. She said "Cool"! This took a lot of work. Not your average overnight production!

That was one poor sniper. :lol: Loved it. "We're the greens! We don't take prisoners!" Thank you.

Fire in the hole! :lol: BOOM! Same here. Good times.

They should have been Nazi/SS. :nuke:

On 10/11/2018 at 11:40 PM, apantherfrommd said:

Yeah, used to do the same thing to my toys with those M-80s. I remember eating the filling of my Stretch Armstrong because it tasted like strawberry jam, found out after accidentally puncturing it.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:45 PM, luvlz2 said:

Anyone else have these book and record sets? I used to play them all the time. I still have the first few pages of this memorized.

I had this one and three others (a fantastic 4 one and a couple of others). Thx for bringing back a few memories like this and the 6 million dollar man / evil knievel. 

R😎

2 hours ago, chef free said:

Growing up in California in the Sixties, I was exposed to lots of futuristic "Googie" architecture.  Fascinating vision of the future!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/googie-architecture-of-the-space-age-122837470/

image.png.dc7f9602f8778c8b2e25e8e95adaa628.png

image.thumb.png.f4dbe9d612417df8f021e8803f6b196e.png

image.thumb.png.eba4de862d29d206c0bccd437070f238.png

Hi 'chef free'. How's it going? In your link was a picture "ships". With my mind being spent from my work today, I'm not certain how to word it. The "A" like Swoosh.

Ship’s on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles (1958)  This picture from your link.

Where have I seen this symbol before? The picture is from 1958. I appreciate your post very many.

Edited by apantherfrommd
1958, not 1956

18 minutes ago, apantherfrommd said:

Hi 'chef free'. How's it going? In your link was a picture "ships". With my mind being spent from my work today, I'm not certain how to word it. The "A" like Swoosh.

Ship’s on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles (1958)  This picture from your link.

Where have I seen this symbol before? The picture is from 1958. I appreciate your post very many.

That's the famous Ship's coffee shop. There were several in LA...one on La Cienega and Olympic near the Beverly Hills Tennis Club; one near MGM Studios in Culver City; and the one in your photo above was the Westwood Village location. They were open 24 hours every day and every table had a toaster so you could toast your own bread/bagel. All featured the Googie architecture style and all have long since been demolished. If you watch the 1985 Jeff Goldblum-Michelle Pfeiffer movie "Into the Night", one of the scenes is filmed inside the Westwood Ship's.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

That's the famous Ship's coffee shop. There were several in LA...one on La Cienega and Olympic near the Beverly Hills Tennis Club; one near MGM Studios in Culver City; and the one in your photo above was the Westwood Village location. They were open 24 hours every day and every table had a toaster so you could toast your own bread/bagel. All featured the Googie architecture style and all have long since been demolished. If you watch the 1985 Jeff Goldblum-Michelle Pfeiffer movie "Into the Night", one of the scenes is filmed inside the Westwood Ship's.

:lol: That's exactly what it was! I was an admirer and used to follow Pfeiffer's career in the 80's. You sure know your movies!

So that was a real place on location. Thank you.

But there was something else, something more about the symbol that drew my attention.

Original poster would forgive me, as this is a Retro thread, and we are great friends.

Edited by apantherfrommd

2 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

image.png.9c14777a7f210804e594deef0e0fb58c.png   
  • JAXA, the Japanese space agency
    • The Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos
    • NASA, the American space agency.
    • ISRO, the Indian Space Research Organization.
    • CNSA, the Chinese National Space Agency.
image.png.f2d2db52d9452b6a659a1aa782a84b23.png
image.png.ca118629f12453eda685424321231bed.png
image.png.3c03c98bfcd5d62e2e1732fe9eee8045.png
image.jpeg.56f64d81b45aca4c88ade61c0c7aa8dd.jpeg
image.png.4214e44b3e7bc53946953068e2d945f7.png  Star Trek?

image.png

That was the whole idea of Googie architecture...to signify our entry into the Atomic Age or Space Age and optimism for the future. The swooping design lines and fonts used for lettering all were geared to get you thinking of rockets and space travel and fun.

It's influence was felt in real life architecture and in film and television shows, too.

14 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:
image.png.9c14777a7f210804e594deef0e0fb58c.png   
  • JAXA, the Japanese space agency
    • The Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos
    • NASA, the American space agency.
    • ISRO, the Indian Space Research Organization.
    • CNSA, the Chinese National Space Agency.
image.png.f2d2db52d9452b6a659a1aa782a84b23.png
image.png.ca118629f12453eda685424321231bed.png
image.png.3c03c98bfcd5d62e2e1732fe9eee8045.png
image.jpeg.56f64d81b45aca4c88ade61c0c7aa8dd.jpeg
image.png.4214e44b3e7bc53946953068e2d945f7.png  Star Trek?

image.png

This is the Googie "boomerang".

image.png.4bbeb398e2134e876b05c07dd7ce9dcb.png

17 hours ago, Strider said:

That was the whole idea of Googie architecture...to signify our entry into the Atomic Age or Space Age and optimism for the future. The swooping design lines and fonts used for lettering all were geared to get you thinking of rockets and space travel and fun.

It's influence was felt in real life architecture and in film and television shows, too.

6 hours ago, chef free said:

This is the Googie "boomerang".

image.png.4bbeb398e2134e876b05c07dd7ce9dcb.png

I find it both uncanny and incredible that all around the world (especially our rivals in the Space Race, Russia). would adopt an insignia so closely resembling the Googie architecture from here in our good country. To me, the swoosh resembles Saturn with a ring. I love it.

Thank you both for schooling me. I love learning. I never knew this. This has got to be the grand-daddy of retro on this thread :lol: 1958! 

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...