Reissue Campaign

Graphite Blimp

I really hope once Jimmy is done he leads releases a bunch of concert CD's and DVD's as well. Imagine the FULL Earls Court and Knebworth performances released (unlike the original Zeppelin DVD) and then CDs/vinyl/mp3 of Earls Court, Knebworth, the best show of 1977 and maybe Tampa? It would make this already exciting time even better!

I sincerely hope, that this extensive reissue campaign will lead to releasing any live-stuff (be it on cd/vinyl/downloads) that's in the vaults but somehow I might not yet hope too much.

Of course, he most likely would have added to the album-reissues themselves those shows, but you never really know how much there is material that Jimmy owns anyways.

And we really need more live-releases as there's so many tours and concerts that need to be released to the public in the best pristine quality.

These are interesting and exciting times to live anyways.

It's not like him to release stuff in small increments like that, if we were to get those they would come out with these remasters. So I assume EC with Graffiti and Kneb with ITTOD. Problably won't happen though.

Definitely won't happen as he has said no more live stuff with these reissues.

Actually, I hope he's done with the reissues for a while. From what I've read, I gather that the bulk of the responsibility for reviewing the music, working with the engineers, etc. falls on him with Plant and JPJ taking a minimal role. If he has any new music left in him or is really serious about performing with new musicians, I would just as soon he concentrate on that.

Something else I've considered: Perhaps Page and the other surviving members of LZ have decided not to release any more live recordings during their lifetimes. Not to be morbid, but any live releases would probably increase in value after their deaths.

Something else I've considered: Perhaps Page and the other surviving members of LZ have decided not to release any more live recordings during their lifetimes. Not to be morbid, but any live releases would probably increase in value after their deaths.

How would they increase in value? Are The Jimi Hendrix Experience live albums worth more since Mitch Mitchell's passing, have The Ramones albums gone up in price since Tommy Ramone died? And how would doing this benefit them? They'd be dead.

Well I just mean I was kind of sad when my Led Zeppelin DVD only had the full concert of Royal Albert Hall (which is awesome) but I'd also like to see the full concerts of any Earls Court in 75 concert and Knebworth. I just wish they weren't partial concerts.

I seem to remember that Page was talking live albums or live compilations when Bonzo was still alive.Remember that Outrider was talked about for years before it was released.He seems to take ages to do something but I must say he does it with care.He seems to have taken a 'Ahem' page out of Grants book and been careful with Zeps legacy.As we know there is not much official live footage out there and what there is Page is not all that keen to release it because of poor sound or film quality or the bands performance e.g.Seattle 77.I would really like him to release live audio from sound board or bootlegs.We have the technology to tidy these up now(I have worked in studios).But I can't see this happening in the near future as he is a bit of a secret squirrel and the reissues have just started.Oh and he could be touring in2015.Don't rush him guys.

How would they increase in value? Are The Jimi Hendrix Experience live albums worth more since Mitch Mitchell's passing, have The Ramones albums gone up in price since Tommy Ramone died? And how would doing this benefit them? They'd be dead.

That's how it works in the visual arts world. Once an artist dies, the price of his/her works go up because no more work from said artist is forthcoming. Does the music industry work differently?

That's how it works in the visual arts world. Once an artist dies, the price of his/her works go up because no more work from said artist is forthcoming. Does the music industry work differently?

Certainly does, unless you're talking about the original master or acetates.

Yes. Because most of the retail side of the music industry is based around selling reproduced recordings rather than one of a kind pieces. An original Van Gogh is likely to go up in price but a poster of the same work won't. Take a look on Amazon. Is Elvis and Amy Winehouse's music any more expensive than say Lady Gaga or One Direction?

Certainly does, unless you're talking about the original master or acetates.

And of course outside of the music side there are collectable things like ticket stubs, programs, first pressings etc. but none of these things make money for Jimmy, Robert or JPJ (unless they're the ones selling them)

I'm afraid I can't help but feeling totally underwhelmed by this reissue campaign. There's so much more information available online that the collectors will have sought out - I've just spent the last hour or so listening to a number of takes of Four Sticks and Ramble On for example, with/without certain instruments, overdubs etc. I presume this campaign is to make some rarities and pieces of interest available to the more casual of mainstream fan.....and I don't think it achieves that. The takes on there this far don't differ sufficiently from the album originals to prompt a listener to regularly revisit them.

A missed opportunity I feel.

I would have preferd it if the focus was more on a random collection of anything and everything from the era, instead of the representation of each track on the original LP in original running order.

I imagine there's a wealth of snippets from the likes of LZ3 which are nothing to do with the released tracks but would capture the essence of the time.

I'd have no problems is a number of alternative takes (like BIGLY from LZ1) either.

Whilst I really like being in the midst of a huge bombardment of zep releases, I find myself inadvertently pinning lots of hopes on codato be a veritable treasure trove of unreleased gems...and when it turns out to be Darlene and Ozone Baby (rough mix minus vocals) I think it will end the reissue campaign on a bum note.

I think its highly unlikely that we will ever see any type of official release where Earls Court is concerned. There is a video extra on the TSRTS where Peter Grant and Robert are being interviewed and asked about Earls Court and why its not been made into a movie. Grant says he took home the video and to him it didn't work as a concert film. he says (paraphrasing here) the magic isnt there on a tv screen.

But beyond that, unless the bootleggers are holding out with a far cleaner and clearer source of the video then its really too dark for a true release. Sure many of you say I'd buy it and so would I but for the masses the overall quality isn't there. Its so dark you cannot even see the lasers very clearly during the bow solo. I also heard somewhere that the cameras used to film it were the wrong ones hence the darkness of the footage. maybe LEDZEPFILM can clarify that.

Next you have the performances themselves to contend with.

I dont know if there is video of all the shows lying in a can waiting to be metered out by Jimmy or bootleggers but for the 24'th which I have listened to so many times I cannot count, the show starts off slow. Its clear the guys need to get warmed up. IMHO The first three songs are a bit rough but from IMTOD on its a great concert although moby dick isn't all that great on this night.

Then there is the question of how long do you want it to be full 3 hours or cut it to fit 2? what do you cut? how about how long it will take to make this project happen? ICBW but what made it onto the official DVD release was probably the best of the video from EC or we probably would have seen more.

I also heard somewhere that the cameras used to film it were the wrong ones hence the darkness of the footage. maybe LEDZEPFILM can clarify that.

The Bath festival footage is the one that was reportedly recorded using the wrong type of film which led to the footage being too dark.

The only video available from Earls Court is what was shown on the projection screens during the show. There aren't alternate camera feeds or angles to work with, just two nights of video footage.

i think the real treasure of this campaign are the books, imo.

the companion discs are nice but to a lot of folks they aren't what they were hoping/expecting. i appreciate them for what they are, but i'm much more interested in the remaster jobs and the information that is in the books. to me, things like the newspaper clippings and candid photos are worth this entire thing.

What SURPRISES me about the re-issues is the lack of CONTEXT. The cds are issued with booklets containing photographs, but no text to explain the IMPORTANCE of the band in rock's history. Most, if not ALL, of the members here would agree that LZ is one of the GREATEST rock band of all time, but why not allow someone versed in rock history to lay out why this is so? Cameron Crowe did an admirable job on the previous complete re-issue. Why not REPRINT his opinions in this re-issue series, or have some other critic/historian provide the proper context? The common trope is that "art should speak of itself," but in this instance, the art is OVER thirty years old. You would think Mr. Page, with all the time he's invested in the SONIC quality of his catalog, would also give consideration to a few words printed on its behalf

Almost forgot...what's the DEAL with using "digipaks?" I can see them being used for NEW releases by NEW artists, whose consumers (most likely youngsters) might get SICK of them and decide to discard them after awhile. But LZ fans? No...we're fans for LIFE. Will these "digipaks" last the AVERAGE human life span? Something tells me NO. :(

Archived