Looking For Mudsharks at the Edgewater Inn

Strider

Spent most of Monday exploring Seattle...particularly locations with a rock and roll history. My main goal was to go to the Edgewater Inn at Pier 67 in Seattle. This is where Led Zeppelin and the Beatles and many other bands stayed when touring Seattle. The rooms overlook the water so they could fish right out the window. This is where the infamous mudshark/red snapper story took place on Led Zeppelin's 1969 tour.

The Beatles were the first major rock band to stay there and the room they stayed in...Suite 272...is now called The Beatles Suite and is decorated with Beatles memorabilia. Amazingly enough, the Beatles Suite was vacant when I visited and they let me go up to the room and take photos. Nobody at the hotel knew where Led Zeppelin's room was, unfortunately. They could only offer an educated guess...a room facing west towards Puget Sound. But there are Led Zeppelin photos in the lobby as well as other rock stars.

Some photos of the Edgewater and the Beatles Suite.

post-1470-0-79952600-1412080131_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-57483900-1412080185_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-60186900-1412080224_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-77610800-1412080265_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-46599000-1412080295_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-49424000-1412080324_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-66974800-1412080354_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-26278100-1412080396_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-94288000-1412080436_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-16240200-1412080487.jpg

In all the tales-from-the-road accounts that have come to light, in books and on TV, I don't recall ever reading/seeing any mention of who the mudshark lady was. You would think in this day and age of warped investigative journalism and insatiable public demand for sleaze, someone would have found her, or that she would have come forward herself for certain financial benefit. After all, it is one of the most talked-about scenes of rock and roll lore, from the world's most famous practitioners of hotel room debauchery.

Maybe her name has surfaced and I missed it. However, it's also possible that she went on to a regular life, got married, had kids, and would rather keep that piece of her life secret.

In all the tales-from-the-road accounts that have come to light, in books and on TV, I don't recall ever reading/seeing any mention of who the mudshark lady was. You would think in this day and age of warped investigative journalism and insatiable public demand for sleaze, someone would have found her, or that she would have come forward herself for certain financial benefit. After all, it is one of the most talked-about scenes of rock and roll lore, from the world's most famous practitioners of hotel room debauchery.

Maybe her name has surfaced and I missed it. However, it's also possible that she went on to a regular life, got married, had kids, and would rather keep that piece of her life secret.

Good question. I would suspect the latter.

Ummm, if you were her, would you come forward? I don't see how she could get any financial gain from coming out in public...certainly not enough reward to be worth the potential embarrassment. I mean, what if she has kids and grandkids? Would you want your kids to know you were the "mudshark girl"?

Ummm, if you were her, would you come forward? I don't see how she could get any financial gain from coming out in public...certainly not enough reward to be worth the potential embarrassment. I mean, what if she has kids and grandkids? Would you want your kids to know you were the "mudshark girl"?

I suspect somewhere in the US northwest, there's a lady in her late 60s enjoying retirement life, having kept one of rock and roll's most lurid stories to herself. Probably one of her grandkids has discovered Led Zeppelin in a big way, and she probably looks at the kid thinking, "If you only knew, kid, if you only knew."

:mellow:

In case the non-Brit contigent need some lessons in British humor/sayings, here's a couple of things that might help when it comes to Zep trivia:

The Edgewater Inn and the "Red Snapper". The fish was a breed of small shark or catfish. The kind of ugly fish that are/were pervasive in those waters. Red Snappers are from warmer waters, and quite common in the Caribbean. How did this tale of debauchery get a red snapper into it? Well, a snapper is a lesser-used slang term for a womans lady bit. It's quite easy to imagine someone like Richard Cole, while in the act of defiling this young maiden, loudly changing the spiecies of fish to that of a RED snapper.

Percy, as in Percy Plant. At the time of the band's existance, Britain produced a series of soft-core sex romp movies. One of them was called Percy's Progress. The nickname seemed apt.

I suspect somewhere in the US northwest, there's a lady in her late 60s enjoying retirement life, having kept one of rock and roll's most lurid stories to herself. Probably one of her grandkids has discovered Led Zeppelin in a big way, and she probably looks at the kid thinking, "If you only knew, kid, if you only knew."

Whoever she was, I hope she's okay. One of the things I gleaned from I'm With the Band is that some of Pamela des Barres' fellow groupies did not fare as well in that scene as she did. Many of them wound up addicted to drugs. I hope the mud shark girl was one of the lucky ones. I hope she is still alive and doing well. I hope she found something more meaningful to do with her life than be a plaything for a bunch of drug-addled rockers. I especially hope that rock fans and the media continue to respect her privacy.

In case the non-Brit contigent need some lessons in British humor/sayings, here's a couple of things that might help when it comes to Zep trivia:

The Edgewater Inn and the "Red Snapper". The fish was a breed of small shark or catfish. The kind of ugly fish that are/were pervasive in those waters. Red Snappers are from warmer waters, and quite common in the Caribbean. How did this tale of debauchery get a red snapper into it? Well, a snapper is a lesser-used slang term for a womans lady bit. It's quite easy to imagine someone like Richard Cole, while in the act of defiling this young maiden, loudly changing the spiecies of fish to that of a RED snapper.

Percy, as in Percy Plant. At the time of the band's existance, Britain produced a series of soft-core sex romp movies. One of them was called Percy's Progress. The nickname seemed apt.

How many mud sharks have you caught? And you missed the joke.

^^^

Yeah, I felt I was walking on hallowed ground. Goose bumps.

Strider, thanks for the photos. It was a red snapper,correct? :friends:

It was KB. But I always think of the Mothers of Invention song "Mud Shark" when I think of the Edgewater and Led Zeppelin. Plus, it just sounds catchier and more concise than Red Snapper. ;)

So, Strider - you didn't rent a pole and drop a line?

They don't allow you to fish anymore from the Edgewater badgeholder. :(

If you are ever visiting Seattle, aside from all the R&R trivia you can encounter at the Edgewater don't forget to hang out for their killer happy hour. Watch the sun go down into the Sound and check out pics of your fave band. If you do, drop me a line and I will try to join you.

:mellow:

:lol:;)

Whoever she was, I hope she's okay. One of the things I gleaned from I'm With the Band is that some of Pamela des Barres' fellow groupies did not fare as well in that scene as she did. Many of them wound up addicted to drugs. I hope the mud shark girl was one of the lucky ones. I hope she is still alive and doing well. I hope she found something more meaningful to do with her life than be a plaything for a bunch of drug-addled rockers. I especially hope that rock fans and the media continue to respect her privacy.

Unfortunately my hopes aren't high for someone who commited bestiality. Just keeping it real.

Note quite Neal. I think you may be referring to the English slang for a women who is, how shall we say, easy with the legs? This type of woman is often seen on Saturday nights drunk and slobbering over numerous blokes. This type is often called a slapper.

Percy is, as you say is a slang term for the "old chap" and as is our humour, when going for a piss one would announce " just going to point Percy at the porcelain" :lol:

Note quite Neal. I think you may be referring to the English slang for a women who is, how shall we say, easy with the legs? This type of woman is often seen on Saturday nights drunk and slobbering over numerous blokes. This type is often called a slapper.

Percy is, as you say is a slang term for the "old chap" and as is our humour, when going for a piss one would announce " just going to point Percy at the porcelain" :lol:

According to the Richard Cole book "Percy" whas the name of a guy with a gardening programme.

Since they also watched "Plant grow" the nickname "Percy" seemed logical.

(This is from the book)

In mid-1969, the members of Led Zeppelin had been bandmates for nearly a year, and they were getting close enough to joke and tease one another playfully. One night in July, they were laughing over some boring shows on British TV. John Paul Jones laughed, "What about this bloke Percy Thrower? You know, the guy who does the gardening show. It's a whole program of watching plants grow! How exciting can you get?"

"Hey, we do the same thing," Jimmy Page interjected. "We watch Plant grow too!"

Jones laughed. "What a perfect name! 'Percy'!" From that day on, the band members hardly ever called Plant 'Robert' again. It was nearly always 'Percy'. Robert never complained)

Archived