1979: Copenhagen v Knebworth

Nutrocker

Ha ha 10 stones in a wet t-shirt if I was lucky :-) a couple of my mates were in that area. We left messages for them at the sounds tent. They said they didn't dare move. Still got the t-shirt though.

Leaving messages at the sounds tent is something that most posters wouldn't understand.

I'm talking about the sound quality, that's why I highlighted really good audience tapes. ;) Copenhagen has all those songs too. :bubble:

Well the sound quality of the first night was very good, but it didn't have the song run I referred to. The second night was another European clap fest (same with 10/2/72) that wrecks the sound quality for me. Even with the set list being the same as 8/4. ;):bubble:

That's why I give the 8/4 Knebworth show the nod of the four '79 shows. But that's just my opinion.

Well the sound quality of the first night was very good, but it didn't have the song run I referred to. The second night was another European clap fest (same with 10/2/72) that wrecks the sound quality for me. Even with the set list being the same as 8/4. ;):bubble:

That's why I give the 8/4 Knebworth show the nod of the four '79 shows. But that's just my opinion.

Ignore the clapping on the 24/7/79 tape (I know, it does get rather annoying at times) and you'll probably find that performance wise it is a better show than the first Knebworth. IMO the band was just too nervous at the first Knebworth gig, and it shows.

• 3 years later...
On 10/11/2014 at 3:22 PM, tmtomh said:

But that said, I've always been puzzled by the rave reviews people give to the sound of the 7/24 show. Yes, it's a very decent AUD tape, but because it was recorded from the balcony (unlike the 23rd which apparently was recorded from the floor and probably closer to the stage), it's got too much echo - and Bonham's drums just sound terrible IMHO, with that constant "clickety clack" sound that makes it sound like he was playing on a toy drum set.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great show and I do enjoy listening to it. But man, what I wouldn't give for a soundboard source for it, to matrix with the audience source and make it really sound decent.

I have to agree with these comments. Copenhagen 24/07 is certainly a great performance, but when people say that the sound quality is as good as LTTE I have to wonder what they were smoking. There's like, no BASS or depth to the recording. It just sounds tinny.

Obviously not every audience tape can be like Millard's, and Copenhagen is not the worst AUD tape I've heard of Zeppelin by a long way, but there is no way I would classify it as the best AUD tape ever.

Since I made my quoted-above comment in 2014, I realized that the horrid clackety-clack isn't anything to do with Bonham's kit. It's the dreaded upper registers of Jones' Alembic bass, which also sounds awful on all the '77 tapes.

On a more positive note, the other change since 2014 is that a fan remaster of this great 7/24/79 show popped up that is best of breed (it's called the pseudonym remaster FYI). It's quite tastefully done, not processed-sounding or overbaked, provides some much-needed presence to counter the excess reverb/distance, adds just the right amount of bass impact, and smooths out the mids and highs nicely (in the process somewhat reducing the Alembic clackety clack, and making the irritating nearby whistling fan's whistles a bit less piercing). I'd say this remaster finally brings the sound quality of the show closer to what folks have been claiming for it for years.

So were the Knebworth shows multi tracked? I'm watching the EVSD "Definitive" version of the first show and the recording/sound is as good as it gets. Almost too good to just be a soundboard. Bonham's drums have depth and Page's guitars actually have the overdrive coming through clearly.

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So were the Knebworth shows multi tracked? I'm watching the EVSD "Definitive" version of the first show and the recording/sound is as good as it gets. Almost too good to just be a soundboard. Bonham's drums have depth and Page's guitars actually have the overdrive coming through clearly.

They were multi tracked - that’s what appears on the LZ DVD. But as far as I know, the multis never leaked; all bootleg versions are from soundboard sources only.

Archived