Hammer Horror, The Musters, The Addams Family

geekfreak

Hi Fellow Horror, Musters and Addams Family worshipers. you now Gomaz, Wednesday, Herman, Grandpa and Eddie. add to the mix Dracula, Werewolf, Jason, Freddy, Mummy or Frankenstein . the absolute classic movies of " The Hammer House Of Horrors " for television or the cinema. the actors read like a who`s who of stars, the movies She/ Tales From The Crypt/ Dracula - Prince Of Darkness, or Nightmare On Elm Street/ Friday The 13th even Halloween come join me a chat away about all of this...

Hi Geekfreak. I'm not a huge fan of the Munsters or Addam's family, but I do enjoy some of the Hammer House of Horror films and other classic horror films from the 50's, 60's and '70's. I like certain more recent horror films as well: The Evil Dead, The Ring, The Grudge, etc, etc. Also, thanks for posting the Yvonne De Carlo tribute, Steve.

Well, I'm not familiar with Hammer horror like I am the Universal films--but I do remember liking Hammer's The Mummy, which borrowed a lot of elements from the Universal Mummy films and I've seen a few of the Christopher Lee Dracula films. I believe Dracula: Prince of Darkness was the one where Lee refused to speak because he thought the script was horrible. Maybe someone who is more familiar with Hammer horror can shed some light on that...

I love horror and sci fi...at the moment I'm actually watching a show that TCM made back in 2011 , Night at the Movies. The episode is "The Horrors of Stephen King". Its King didiscussing various films and the viewers cravings to be frightened.

Paul the hammer horror movies where movies made in the same studio`s using the actors like Lee/Cushing/Price. the movies called She, Tales From The Crypt, Quatermass and Rasputin The Mad Monk. there are loads more classic movies to watch too? I`ll tell you more later...

Paul the hammer horror movies where movies made in the same studio`s using the actors like Lee/Cushing/Price. the movies called She, Tales From The Crypt, Quatermass and Rasputin The Mad Monk. there are loads more classic movies to watch too? I`ll tell you more later...

Yes....but Hammer had a different vibe to them, not better or worse, but a totally different atmosphere.

BTW...Jason and the Argonauts is about to come on , TCM

Edited by zepscoda

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Caught up now on most of the important Hammer Horror films--Frankenstein and Dracula. I thought "Horror of Frankenstein" might have been passable because Cushing wasn't playing the Baron, but I had a change of heart.

Still haven't seen Scars of Dracula, but it sounds like it has potential.

Is there anything else from Hammer besides the main 2 series that might be of interest?

5 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Caught up now on most of the important Hammer Horror films--Frankenstein and Dracula. I thought "Horror of Frankenstein" might have been passable because Cushing wasn't playing the Baron, but I had a change of heart.

Still haven't seen Scars of Dracula, but it sounds like it has potential.

Is there anything else from Hammer besides the main 2 series that might be of interest?

This one is one of my fav Hammer films, The Devil Rides Out:

On 9/18/2017 at 11:13 AM, IpMan said:

This is one of the greatest movies ever, not just horror but in general a really good movie. I give this five dead teenage cheerleaders!

I love both the Phibes films... a nice relaxing evening of 420 and Phibes is my kind of night! 

Another GREAT Vincent Price classic that has the same vibe as the Phibes films is 1973's Theater of Blood