REMASTERED HOUSES OF THE HOLY (ALL EDITIONS): Post Your Reviews/Reactions/Thoughts Here

Strider

I got the 2 cd deluxe.

The bad news is, you don't get the original picture that was on the back of the cover-------they just give you a duplicate of the front. After noticing this, I checked my other double cd sets and they did the same thing with the second and fourth albums.

The good news is, the material on the companion disc is well worth having as is the case with the other four sets. With these Led Zeppelin sets it is the first time I've been pleased with all extras in a deluxe set. The Rolling Stones Deluxe sets of Exile On Main Street and Some Girls were the biggest disappointments to date.

It looks like their may be a production fiasco with the SDBS of Houses of the Holy. So far it appears to be the US SDBS only, that are Pallas USA (P. USA in the deadwax). Reports indicate a no fill, or bad distortion in The Ocean, that is not present on the EU pressings. Mass returns have begun, and it appears that all discs have the issue. Can you say Beatles Stereo Box Set? Been here once before.

You know, I've heard about this, so I listened very carefully to my vinyl copy and I don't hear any distortion on The Ocean. I'm in the US, too. I'll listen again, but, I think mine is ok..

Comment on 24/96's...I have both the CD's and 24/96's of Zep 1 through HOTH. The 24/96's are definitely better, especially through a good system. Though the 16/44.1's do a great job of sounding close for 16 bit, the 24/96 has much more separation, definition, air, low end clarity, and a larger soundstage. When you go from the 24 bit to 16 bit the soundstage collapses dramatically, but most people probably won't care when hearing 16/44.1's in their cars. TSRTS and No Quarter from the new HOTH 24/96 are INCREDIBLE SOUNDING, drums are just beautifully open and punchy sounding, guitars sinister, bass killer. Better IMO than all the Rush 24/96 albums (I love Rush too), I have both Rush's and Zep catalogs in 24/9 (up to HOTH), and while Rush's sounds great too (Rush's Power Windows 24/96 is their best sounding album, what a mix), overall the Zeppelin 24/96's are more satisfying. Rock and Roll from IV in 24/96 is mind blowing, sounds so full and deep, you can hear Page's guitar treatments clearer. Although clean vinyl rips have their merit, I like the 24/96 tracks better than the vinyl reissue versions, as I can't stand pops and crackles (but that's part of the vinyl experience), which I've grown tired of. These new LZ 24/96 reissues are not 16/44.1 upsampled like alot of other "24/96" albums are, they are true sourced 24/96 from the best analog masters available, which is the way to go for audiophiles and musicians, if available. Although the Mothership tracks are louder, they are mastered hotter and more saturated (as is common with Greatest Hits), these reissue versions are not as loud, due to keeping dynamics of the original flow of the album intact (ie. you don't want to brickwall acoustic numbers, as you want the dynamics in context to the next track to remain intact). I'm looking forward to the coming deluxe Physical Graffiti, Presence, ITTOD, and Coda releases. Walter's Walk 24/96 on a cranked system, watch out!

Edited by Tea41

Comment on 24/96's...I have both the CD's and 24/96's of Zep 1 through HOTH. The 24/96's are definitely better, especially through a good system. Though the 16/44.1's do a great job of sounding close for 16 bit, the 24/96 has much more separation, definition, air, low end clarity, and a larger soundstage. When you go from the 24 bit to 16 bit the soundstage collapses dramatically, but most people probably won't care when hearing 16/44.1's in their cars. TSRTS and No Quarter from the new HOTH 24/96 are INCREDIBLE SOUNDING, drums are just beautifully open and punchy sounding, guitars sinister, bass killer. Better IMO than all the Rush 24/96 albums (I love Rush too), I have both Rush's and Zep catalogs in 24/9 (up to HOTH), and while Rush's sounds great too (Rush's Power Windows 24/96 is their best sounding album, what a mix), overall the Zeppelin 24/96's are more satisfying. Rock and Roll from IV in 24/96 is mind blowing, sounds so full and deep, you can hear Page's guitar treatments clearer. Although clean vinyl rips have their merit, I like the 24/96 tracks better than the vinyl reissue versions, as I can't stand pops and crackles (but that's part of the vinyl experience), which I've grown tired of. These new LZ 24/96 reissues are not 16/44.1 upsampled like alot of other "24/96" albums are, they are true sourced 24/96 from the best analog masters available, which is the way to go for audiophiles and musicians, if available. Although the Mothership tracks are louder, they are mastered hotter and more saturated (as is common with Greatest Hits), these reissue versions are not as loud, due to keeping dynamics of the original flow of the album intact (ie. you don't want to brickwall acoustic numbers, as you want the dynamics in context to the next track to remain intact). I'm looking forward to the coming deluxe Physical Graffiti, Presence, ITTOD, and Coda releases. Walter's Walk 24/96 on a cranked system, watch out!

Agreed! I downloaded the 24/96 versions and they just sound excellent, it's the same with the Rush and King Crimson 24/96 remasters. Of course this is only going to appeal to people who care deeply about sound quality.

Which DAC are you using to decode the files? I'm using the Sabre32 in my Oppo DVD/CD player to decode files from an external drive. They are played through a pair of 400 watt rated (bench tested to over 600) McIntosh amps pushing a pair of vintage 1977 Infinity QLS-1 speakers in a sound treated garage. It's pure Zeppelin bliss!

I am really liking the sound on over the hills alternate version, its got a flatter finish to my ears, a step towards physical graffiti sound. The guitar on dancing days also sounds dulled a bit, it sounds good like that. I would have loved to have heard a low tech version of no quarter, without synths, but i guess there could be material to be future marketed on rhino box sets or whatever.

Chef free, glad you're enjoying the 24/96 Zep albums. I'm listening to them in my small studio, using Win7 Pro running a UFX RME interface with Foobar 2000 media player, AES-EBU digital out from the UFX into a Lavry DA-11 which feeds Neumann KH120A active monitors, plus a pair of Mackie HR-824's when I really want to let loose. It's a real treat to crank the 24/96's, the smoother, wider soundstage is easier on the ears than the 16/44.1's when you crank it. 16 bit has a squeezed, smaller sound when compared, and hurts your ears more when cranked.

Btw, slightly off topic but always relevant here, my friend met Jimmy Page 3 days ago at the NYC book signing, and asked him when he was going to remaster The Firm and Coverdale-Page albums, he smiled and said "yeah, I like to get to those too eventually". Page was responsive, up beat, and cool as hell. People camped out overnight outside to get in and Page thanked the crowd for doing that!

Edited by Tea41

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I've heard about this, so I listened very carefully to my vinyl copy and I don't hear any distortion on The Ocean. I'm in the US, too. I'll listen again, but, I think mine is ok..

I'm also in the US, purchased my sets from Amazon. Before I knew this thread existed, I had noticed some popping/crackling on The Rain Song vinyl. To my ear, The Ocean does not sound any different than the CD, but I do not have headphones for my home stereo. I'm not going to return the package, however, I don't mind the popping that much.

I'm enjoying all of the recordings. To date, I've listened to the companions more than the originals, but that will probably change eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed! I downloaded the 24/96 versions and they just sound excellent, it's the same with the Rush and King Crimson 24/96 remasters. Of course this is only going to appeal to people who care deeply about sound quality.

Which DAC are you using to decode the files? I'm using the Sabre32 in my Oppo DVD/CD player to decode files from an external drive. They are played through a pair of 400 watt rated (bench tested to over 600) McIntosh amps pushing a pair of vintage 1977 Infinity QLS-1 speakers in a sound treated garage. It's pure Zeppelin bliss!

If you want to have excellent HD portable player consider The pono player from https://ponomusic.force.com. III, IV and HOTH sound so great with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really liking the sound on over the hills alternate version, its got a flatter finish to my ears, a step towards physical graffiti sound. The guitar on dancing days also sounds dulled a bit, it sounds good like that. I would have loved to have heard a low tech version of no quarter, without synths, but i guess there could be material to be future marketed on rhino box sets or whatever.

I always felt the original albums production was too harsh.It now seems smoother or as you say 'flatter'which is a good thing.The instrumental TSRTS is a gas,I am really giving it a spin.I would really like to slow Plants chipmunk vocals down and add it to this track.Dancing Days also benefits from this 'dulled' sound.I thought we might have got the fast version of No Quarter which is on the Stairway Sessions bootleg but i am glad we didn't as this instrumental take is really haunting,like the soundtrack to some 70s horror movie like The Exorcist.

That thing is pretty awkward looking, like a Toblerone that plays music lol.

Sure it is! But this thing is very nice when held in hand and very light. It slips into pockets nicely, but I would not keep it my back pocket though. I cannot describe how awesome the music sounds coming out this little thing is. I've not used spotify since I got it. If you like to listen whole album at the time, then I really recommend this thing, but if you want to explore new things constantly then you need a spotify or other streaming service too.

I always felt the original albums production was too harsh.It now seems smoother or as you say 'flatter'which is a good thing.The instrumental TSRTS is a gas,I am really giving it a spin.I would really like to slow Plants chipmunk vocals down and add it to this track.Dancing Days also benefits from this 'dulled' sound.I thought we might have got the fast version of No Quarter which is on the Stairway Sessions bootleg but i am glad we didn't as this instrumental take is really haunting,like the soundtrack to some 70s horror movie like The Exorcist.

Yeah i am rediscovering the greatness of this album too, with the companion cd. The sound on over the hills is reminding me of, shining in the light. Originally it was always a bright sounding record. But w this sound, on alternate cd, it just prevents listener fatigue. Over the hills is amazing...almost as if it was limited by the vocal. Dancing days was always immediately likeable, since i first heard it on vinyl, but over the years i found the main guitar lick annoying at times. Here, that lick is toned way down and you can hear all of pages great guitar work. This song also illustrates the jones,bonham combo...how they could make a heavy groove in every song, allowing page to jump from the main riff to adding embellishments to the song. The song remains the same...what a dynamic song...pure energy, emotion and movement. Alot of the times im getting to no quarter and not in the mood to hear it, so bouncing back to over the hills. But when i do get to nq, as the song goes on im hearing jpj going from gloomy to groovey with his embellishments towards end of the song. Almost a glimpse of him thinking, he would really like to jam on this song, w page and bonham and turn it into something else. Its got the elements, vibe of the doors, riders on the storm....yet it seems jones tends to go back to a jolly keyboard thing, like the crunge or south bound suarez. Page tweeks something in the ocean and over the hills solo, dont know if its actually interesting effects from his guitar or what, but they are cool little things to hear.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I put on the HOTH companion disc yesterday & was blown away by how good it is, really glad I bought all these now as they're a real treat to go back & listen to, the different mix of Dancing Days sounds great, the instrumentals are superb & the Rain Song with the louder drums is a thing of rare beauty.

9 hours ago, Mook said:

I put on the HOTH companion disc yesterday & was blown away by how good it is, really glad I bought all these now as they're a real treat to go back & listen to, the different mix of Dancing Days sounds great, the instrumentals are superb & the Rain Song with the louder drums is a thing of rare beauty.

Yeah! I was delighted with houses companion disc too. It did take a couple of listens but I did start to notice more and more in it . Found OTHAFA particularly interesting 

• 3 years later...

The 94 Marino mix is the way to go for this one in my opinion. It's a bit flatter and more compressed, but it's just got a more natural and warmer feel for the overall sound. The only exception is the intro for OTHAFA which sounds much too flat in the midrange. The Diament is great for the drums but lacks the warmth this album needs. 

11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The 94 Marino mix is the way to go for this one in my opinion. It's a bit flatter and more compressed, but it's just got a more natural and warmer feel for the overall sound. The only exception is the intro for OTHAFA which sounds much too flat in the midrange. The Diament is great for the drums but lacks the warmth this album needs. 

Then your next project is to somehow strip each instrument from the mix separately then make the mix you see fit for best sound

Make the 10's late remasters look like bitches.

Godspeed