Predictions for PG and Presence

Black Dog 71

I would shoot a nun in the face and club a baby seal if they were to include some live Seattle, Vancouver, New Orleans, San Diego, or LA 75' stuff. That is my wish list to big baby Jesus.

Since pg was a combination of new material and leftovers combined to make a double album, I doubt there is any leftover material to include. I think live material for the companion disk(s) would be amazing!

PG: Companion material will include some version of "Swan Song," and will not include alt. versions of every single track. Companion material will take up 1 CD but will have to be distributed across 2 LPs for the vinyl version. This is of course just my prediction. I could be completely wrong.

Presence: I think Jimmy has tipped his hand on this one pretty clearly: He has said he found "two new things" on a reel that contained an early mix of the album. So I believe we'll get all or most of that early mix, plus the two "new things." The only question I have is whether he'll include an early mix of every track. I would tend to think not, because he'll probably want all the companion material to fit on a single LP.

It will follow the other five,alt mixes with and without vocals.

Jim will not deviate from the format of these releases and as far as live 75

forget it, that's not what this is about. This is a final polish of the catalogue

with an extra disc of stuff to make you purchase it.I am afraid Jimmy rather overbuilt

peoples expectations in the run up to these releases.If you remove the hype and dial

back expectation,they are real things of beauty. More interesting than the extras,what

form will the PG cover take in order to incorporate an extra disc plus mirrored artwork?

I want my windows for the sleeve of PG like the spinning wheel on 3.Seriously I am looking forward to Prescence because PG was a mopping up of previously unused material and new stuff.As most of us know Presence was recorded quickly in trying times and correct me if I am wrong Jimbo did most of the overdubs in one session.Hopefully there will be the odd rough run through of a track or two.Any indication what's in store for Archilles Last Stand anyone?

what i'd like for PG:

swan song, in the morning/in the light - its criminal if he overlooks that even if its already bootlegged, custard pie (extremely) alternative version. amongst other things.

While I believe that its just the PG session tracks that will get a companion audio version, it would be amazing if all tracks got a companion version. Outtakes or not, i'm sure they weren't all done in one take, so additional material and versions should theoretically exist. Some of them would have earlier version radically different (like acoustic down by the seaside or the rover etc). Thats the interesting stuff. Thats what I thought/hoped these releases would be about.

what we'll likely get:

extremely minor tweaks to the mixes of the released versions, the variations of which are borderline imperceivable to anyone apart from the hardened fan, plus a token few with the vocals taken out.

I really hope there is nothing named "Swan Song" on PG. Let's just have the song names we already know.

have you not heard this song? its one of the more notable outtakes from the PG sessions.

Also it might not actually get a release as its basically Midnight Moonlight by The Firm.

have you not heard this song? its one of the more notable outtakes from the PG sessions.

Also it might not actually get a release as its basically Midnight Moonlight by The Firm.

I have it on a boot, It's nothing special to my ears.

what we'll likely get:

extremely minor tweaks to the mixes of the released versions, the variations of which are borderline imperceivable to anyone apart from the hardened fan, plus a token few with the vocals taken out.

You may be right, and as great as Robert's vocals are on Ten Years Gone, I would love to hear that song as Jimmy originally intended it to be - just an instrumental with his guitar army in full force. That said, Presence is what I am looking forward to the most!

I'd like to hear alternate mixes of some of the PG songs with the vocals less buried in the mix.

Jimmy has said there will be another couple of surprises in these reissues so there might be a new song or two still to come.

PG - an alternate mix of IMTOD along with some of the early embryonic and more funky versions of TUF would be most welcome. Could see Take Me Home or In the Morning (both early versions of ITL).

Presence - I'm hoping the two extra things Jimmy speaks of are not just early takes of a couple songs. Obviously some jamming took place to get the band warmed up I'd think. What would be really great is some photos of either the band in the studio in Los Angeles or Munich, or alternatively some photos of the band out and about in Malibu. Somebody's bound to have a pic of Jimmy sleeping on a sofa in-between takes. This was a turbulent and transitional time for Jimmy with regard to his personal habits so it would be interesting to see what his physical state was during the sessions.

After buying virtually everything that's officially been put out (in multiple formats) going back to the 70's, I'm not buying any more of these reissues. This is the 3rd time Page has remastered the cd's, and the bonus disc's are a missed opportunity. For example, on the 1st disc, where's the version of" Chest Fever" that Page said they worked on at the time of the 1st LP? or the version of a song called "Flames", by Elmer Gantry? They must have recorded a studio run through or demo of these, and "As long as I have you" ; or "Train kept a'rollin". But none of this stuff gets put out. I own the Beatles alternate versions 6 cd series, and it blows away what is represented on these new Zep "bonus" discs. Jimmy should have put out Rehearsals/ Studio Run Throughs- it would have been far more interesting; actually, "Keys to the Highway" is just such an example of what everyone wants to hear-unreleased demos/ rehearsals/ studio run-throughs. NOT unbelievably slightly altered versions of songs; or songs with removed vocals. I had to laugh at the new 4th album release bonus disc; Jimmy puts out the "Sunset Sound" version of STH; originally, Jimmy said that Andy Johns should be "drawn and quartered" for the lousy job he did on the engineering in 1971; but now, it's a "great" alternative mix(!). The poor guy never lived to see this" apology". In the end, I suspect that when this current Remaster catalog is finally done and all out, it MIGHT make one decent CD to compile the best of the most obscure and interesting (and "newly uncovered") stuff on all the bonus discs. I would buy that one disc of truly rare and interesting music. In the meanwhile, back to the boots....

After buying virtually everything that's officially been put out (in multiple formats) going back to the 70's, I'm not buying any more of these reissues. This is the 3rd time Page has remastered the cd's, and the bonus disc's are a missed opportunity. For example, on the 1st disc, where's the version of" Chest Fever" that Page said they worked on at the time of the 1st LP? or the version of a song called "Flames", by Elmer Gantry? They must have recorded a studio run through or demo of these, and "As long as I have you" ; or "Train kept a'rollin". But none of this stuff gets put out. I own the Beatles alternate versions 6 cd series, and it blows away what is represented on these new Zep "bonus" discs. Jimmy should have put out Rehearsals/ Studio Run Throughs- it would have been far more interesting; actually, "Keys to the Highway" is just such an example of what everyone wants to hear-unreleased demos/ rehearsals/ studio run-throughs. NOT unbelievably slightly altered versions of songs; or songs with removed vocals. I suspect that when this current Remaster catalog is finally done and all out, it MIGHT make one decent CD to compile the best of the most obscure and interesting (and "newly uncovered") stuff on all the bonus discs. I would buy that one disc of truly rare and interesting music. In the meanwhile, back to the boots....

Finally someone else shares my sentiments exactly. I for one being a long time Zep fan used to dream about a compilation of this sorts put out by Page and I have to say slightly different mixes or a vocal removed here and there is not quite what I hoped for. The first disc which included a live show, yes that was more what I was expecting but quite honestly after buying the first three I may not even purchase the rest.

Give me the boots when they were writing Stairway, or when Bonzo was teaching the boys the timing to Black Dog. I'll take those over these discs any day and without hesitation.

After buying virtually everything that's officially been put out (in multiple formats) going back to the 70's, I'm not buying any more of these reissues. This is the 3rd time Page has remastered the cd's, and the bonus disc's are a missed opportunity. For example, on the 1st disc, where's the version of" Chest Fever" that Page said they worked on at the time of the 1st LP? or the version of a song called "Flames", by Elmer Gantry? They must have recorded a studio run through or demo of these, and "As long as I have you" ; or "Train kept a'rollin". But none of this stuff gets put out. I own the Beatles alternate versions 6 cd series, and it blows away what is represented on these new Zep "bonus" discs. Jimmy should have put out Rehearsals/ Studio Run Throughs- it would have been far more interesting; actually, "Keys to the Highway" is just such an example of what everyone wants to hear-unreleased demos/ rehearsals/ studio run-throughs. NOT unbelievably slightly altered versions of songs; or songs with removed vocals. I had to laugh at the new 4th album release bonus disc; Jimmy puts out the "Sunset Sound" version of STH; originally, Jimmy said that Andy Johns should be "drawn and quartered" for the lousy job he did on the engineering in 1971; but now, it's a "great" alternative mix(!). The poor guy never lived to see this" apology". In the end, I suspect that when this current Remaster catalog is finally done and all out, it MIGHT make one decent CD to compile the best of the most obscure and interesting (and "newly uncovered") stuff on all the bonus discs. I would buy that one disc of truly rare and interesting music. In the meanwhile, back to the boots....

While I agree with that, I really don't think there's much left in the can from lz1. We know of some babe I'm gonna leave you and baby come on home, and the organ flamenco guitar thing, but all the songs you listed I really doubt they had the studio time to do that. Wasn't the studio time something like 30 hours in total. Don't get me wrong, the holy grail for me would be a studio version of as long as I have you (maybe on Coda lol)

I know dave Lewis mentions these tracks in his books but I think they were working on them as live tracks not recorded ones.

That said I'm sure that some of the early rehearsals would have been recorded...the Paris show on the first companion disk is more LZ 2 in spirit than LZ1. I would have prefers something from earlier in the year, like the Fillmores. Or even multiple outtakes of the same tracks.

I'm generally very impressed with the remasters and the quality of the SD editions packaging, but I'm getting more and more disappointed with the companion disks.

I was hoping that they would leave me completely satisfied, but there are far too many similar tracks to the released versions for my liking.

I agree that a condensed 1 disk of genuine outtakes and unreleased tracks might be possible at the end, but the alternative mixes won't likely get many more listens from me.

Still, there's always coda

Archived