I for one would NOT pay to see a Zep reunion. The ticket prices would likely be ridiculous, and to pay that much money to see something well past its prime would be a waste of good money I could use for better purposes elsewhere. Even idolization should have its limits.

One person's experience is not the experience of everyone. You didn't like CSN; everyone at the concert I went to was ecstatic. You would rather remember Zeppelin at their peak; 20 million people tried to get tickets to the O2. You can't read minds and you don't even know personally any members of the mentioned rock bands (correct me if I'm wrong) so you have no idea of all of their motivations. In fact, based on what I have observed, and may I daresay chances are I am a better observer of human nature than you, there are multiple reasons why bands including CSN and Black Sabbath went out touring this year. It can't possibly all be about money because they, or most of them, have more than enough. I feel sorry for someone who only works for money. I'm pretty sure no musician falls into that category. Yes, camaraderie could be part of it. Also connecting with fans and being again part of the most significant thing any of them ever did and will do with their lives. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks life is just about money and that factors such as camaraderie, connection with other people, etc. don't matter.

You have misinterpreted my point

I never implied that a good time could not be had be all

Why do you think most of these reunion tours occur?

Spiritual communion? Lifelong camaraderie?

Nine times out of ten, it's money

And many who patronize those types of tours have expectations that can't possibly be met

I have seen CSN in the last few years too. They were good, but nothing like in their prime

I would rather remember Zeppelin at their peak

If they should choose to tour with new material, that would be a different story

No comparisons to be made

This is ridiculous IMHO after all these years that this is still being discussed. I take full responsibility for chiming in on this and getting caught up in this. I do get upset when people seem to be bashing Robert (he does get the full force) ..and I also take offense when people rag on Jimmy for not doing anything. Jonesy never get's involved in anything and continues to remain a class act!

I took a step back and thought about this. Millennial Zephead, your letter addressed the music as an affair of the heart. You left out the following from the RS interview. See the link below as well for back up! I underlined a sentence as that was not done in the original article.

In ending the band after Bonham's death, you missed a chance to rebuild and move on, as the Who did after losing Keith Moon. Why didn't you just take time to heal?
Led Zeppelin wasn't a corporate entity. Led Zeppelin was an affair of the heart. Each of the members was important to the sum total of what we were. I like to think that if it had been me that wasn't there, the others would have made the same decision. And what were we going to do? Create a role for somebody, say, "You have to do this, this way?" That wouldn't be honest.

There were attempts [at reunion] that didn't work – trying to push it together in a hurry. That's why the [2007] show had to be done with such intent – rehearsing as much as we could so Jason [bonham's son] felt he was part of the band as opposed to a novelty. He was filling big shoes, and we needed all of that.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/22158-interviews-with-jimmy-page2014/

I agree with so many of you here. I would never want the memory of the music to be tarnished just because people want a reunion. I was not able to get tickets to the 02 and I was sad for a few days, then moved on. We all have many places to go in this internet world we live in now. I chose to come here and discuss music and show respect for what I think is the greatest band ever..I have never felt any different. I for one do not feel that there needs to be heated discussions to keep the forum interesting. It is easy to sit behind a screen and post what some of you post here.

I appreciate the 25 or so people from this forum that I have created a friendship with. I value them and because of the music these great people have come into my life! There is no price you can put on that IMHO. I love that we talk on the phone about Led Zeppelin, our memories and stories both old and new.

Scarlet- you seem to be one who likes to stir things up. That is your right. I personally do not come here for that. I like discussing music and being able to share thoughts with some great people that are here.

Dark Lord- If I am mistaken I will apologize openly to you. Am I considered one of the holier than thou crowd?...if so please explain. If you go back to my post on this forum you will see that I respect this band and do not place one above the other. I can only think of one time where this might have been taken that way and I will stand by it. I stated that as individual members Jonesy is more talented than either Jimmy or Robert. I stand by that, hence the reason I posted it! ..again, not quite sure about that holier comment and extend and welcome you the opportunity to help me understand:-)

Bottom line for me, I expect the press to come up with one liners to get attention to sell magazines or websites to draw in people, but when fans start to rip the band or a member of the band I admit I get pissed! Like I said Robert seems to get the most and I am OVER IT!!!

Mook- your Katy Perry post.. I had to laugh out loud!!! To all of the other fellow forum members, thank you in advance for my putting up with me:-) :peace:

I think the person who wrote the Open Letter is the same person that wrote the Daily Mirror article.

For a few days, lively debate ensues, petty feuds arise, grown men publicly salivate over 20-somethings, and then we are back where we started.

Robert is out playing music. JPJ is out playing music. Jimmy is stamping romantic about the love of his life. All good.

Probably just human nature (and I'm guilty myself) but the what-if threads seem to get more participation than that what-is threads.

Speaking of what is and salivating, how is it that an event with Jimmy Page and the most beautiful man in rock, Chris Cornell, is NOT sold out? What's the matter with LA?

Exactly.

Same point I was making earlier that for everyone on here posting that they should not get back together would be the first in line for tickets. And for anyone to say it is embarrassing and stupid to discuss is ridiculous. It's embarrassing to want to see the boys back together? And to say they should not play Zeppelin music is equally ridiculous. Is it wrong then for Robert to sprinkle his set with Zep tunes?

When we saw Page and Plant in the 90s doing Zep tunes we knew it wasn't "Zep" but did we care? Of course not. It was awesome. And it would be awesome to see them together again with Jones and Jason too. And for me to like to see that and for someone to say that is silly and embarrassing they are entitled to their opinion and I'm entitled to think they are a moron.

And having said that I will add Robert is totally entitled to do whatsoever he feels like doing. If he doesn't want anything to do with it then I wish him all the best. It is not 1975 and we all know it.

Not everyone would be in line for tickets and letting Robert decide is not the same as buying the ticket, if he decides otherwise! You think others in the band or a lot fans would want the songs to be played very differently?! Robert Plays them that way!

Page/Plant was awesome, but Plant walked away, as soon as he saw, new songs don't work! I'm shure he would be ready to play smaller concerts and new songs, but probably Jimmy did not agree!

This from Richard Branson:

"I spoke to Robert Plant about the story, which he also confirmed is complete rubbish from his side too. Robert told me he is very proud of his history and the band’s past, and has always had great respect and love for his work throughout his career. However, he really believes he must move on with his life and career today.

Making up this story is very disrespectful to how wonderful his solo career with the Sensational Space Shifters is going. He is setting out on a sold out tour today and they released a brilliant album last year. As Robert told me: “Look Richard, I just do things because I love them and I want to do more new things that I love.” I couldn’t agree more."

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/dazed-and-confused-by-led-zeppelin-rumours

This from Richard Branson:

"I spoke to Robert Plant about the story, which he also confirmed is complete rubbish from his side too. Robert told me he is very proud of his history and the band’s past, and has always had great respect and love for his work throughout his career. However, he really believes he must move on with his life and career today.

Making up this story is very disrespectful to how wonderful his solo career with the Sensational Space Shifters is going. He is setting out on a sold out tour today and they released a brilliant album last year. As Robert told me: “Look Richard, I just do things because I love them and I want to do more new things that I love.” I couldn’t agree more."

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/dazed-and-confused-by-led-zeppelin-rumours

posted earlier - here

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/22199-whole-lotta-money/page-3

Not everyone would be in line for tickets...

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that some Zep fans would go see Robert solo, Jimmy solo, whatever but say thanks but no thanks if they were to all 3 and Jason play together?

If that is what you are saying then that is totally ridiculous, thus my earlier post EVERYONE in this post (who could afford it) would be in line for tickets and could not wait for the lights to go down and the show to start. Without exception.

Now if you were implying something else then please explain. Because I ain't buying it.

I think everyone wants to come across as "supporting" Robert in his decision as if he cares what we think or might in the remote possibility read this thread and pat us on the back.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that some Zep fans would go see Robert solo, Jimmy solo, whatever but say thanks but no thanks if they were to all 3 and Jason play together?

If that is what you are saying then that is totally ridiculous, thus my earlier post EVERYONE in this post (who could afford it) would be in line for tickets and could not wait for the lights to go down and the show to start. Without exception.

Now if you were implying something else then please explain. Because I ain't buying it.

I think everyone wants to come across as "supporting" Robert in his decision as if he cares what we think or might in the remote possibility read this thread and pat us on the back.

I certainly don't expect a pat on the back..

My main "support" of his stance is the man HE's supporting.. The man who made me fall in love with playing the Drums almost 40 years ago..

He's way too important a piece of the band and person to "replace". If anyone is to do it, it should be his son... no brainer..

That's what John would have wanted and that's what the band has obviously aknowledged..

But Jason is not an official member of Led Zeppelin, Yes, Celebration Day has his name and the name LED ZEPPELIN on the same packaging..

The name Led Zeppelin was all over the screens at the '02.. He was there in honor of his father and the great music his dad and their band created, But he didn't join the band...

It was a one off.. ok a five off counting the Atlantic 40th, his Wedding, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Carmen Plant's wedding..

With all due respect, he is not now and never was an official member of Led Zeppelin. He was sitting in..

Led Zeppelin will always be those same 4 guys..as it should be.

Regardless, I do hope you and others realize it was the surviving members joined by Jason Bonham--an approximation of the original if you will. To insist "it was Led Zeppelin" - strictly speaking - is not consistent with the views of the surviving members who in their own words did not/have not conferred full fledged band member status on Jason Bonham. Additionally, by the logic that he was on the kit during a performance billed as Led Zeppelin and thus is a member then so too are Phil Collins (Live Aid, 1985) and Michael Lee (RnRHoF, 1995).

I agree with you that this isn't necessarily a question of right/wrong, rather a question of personal belief, and thus views may vary--indeed they do. For some The Who is The Who, and for others The Who is The Two. Where hostility comes into it is after seven freaking years of this nonsense it becomes beyond tedious. I happen to think Robert's new album is a turd. I stated my opinion twice and then let it go for the sake of the forum. Anyone here want to be continuously reminded of my opinion of Robert's new album from now until 2021? Didn't think so, just as I don't want to keep encountering insipid fan appeals and the ensuing keyboard wars.

Reformation of the band has been the biggest bane of online forums this side of all those years of "Should Dave Grohl replace John Bonham?" Not sure if I'm counted among the "holier than thou crowd" or not but if so I tell you my enthusiasm for a "reformed" Led Zeppelin has ALWAYS been considerably and consistently far lower than my enthusiasm for the return of another "No Led Anything" era from all three of them.

Actually, I agree with your comments. And, no, I don't consider you as holier than though. My resistance is simply to the hostility that appears when one side refuses to allow another side to have their say, while at the same time wrapping themselves in Angels' wings. I get it, and I was simply trying to illustrate that there is another perspective, thus the Celebration Day comment. It's a product that the band members themselves were comfortable calling Led Zeppelin. I know that they will never reform. I respect Robert's right to do what he wants, and I support every fan's right to speak their passion on this topic. It does get tedious, but everyone is in a different place on the acceptance curve, and I frankly admire people's passion for this band, even if it's misinformed at times.

I would venture a guess that every single person in this thread would be in line to get tickets should they (hypothetically speaking) perform again. Just a hunch.

Count me out, unless you could guarantee me a seat in the 15th row dead centre with everyone in front of me staying seated no shouts of Jimmeeeee or Roberrrrrrt no talking shouting or whistling during songs.

This is ridiculous IMHO after all these years that this is still being discussed. I take full responsibility for chiming in on this and getting caught up in this. I do get upset when people seem to be bashing Robert (he does get the full force) ..and I also take offense when people rag on Jimmy for not doing anything. Jonesy never get's involved in anything and continues to remain a class act!

I took a step back and thought about this. Millennial Zephead, your letter addressed the music as an affair of the heart. You left out the following from the RS interview. See the link below as well for back up! I underlined a sentence as that was not done in the original article.

In ending the band after Bonham's death, you missed a chance to rebuild and move on, as the Who did after losing Keith Moon. Why didn't you just take time to heal?

Led Zeppelin wasn't a corporate entity. Led Zeppelin was an affair of the heart. Each of the members was important to the sum total of what we were. I like to think that if it had been me that wasn't there, the others would have made the same decision. And what were we going to do? Create a role for somebody, say, "You have to do this, this way?" That wouldn't be honest.

There were attempts [at reunion] that didn't work – trying to push it together in a hurry. That's why the [2007] show had to be done with such intent – rehearsing as much as we could so Jason [bonham's son] felt he was part of the band as opposed to a novelty. He was filling big shoes, and we needed all of that.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/22158-interviews-with-jimmy-page2014/

I agree with so many of you here. I would never want the memory of the music to be tarnished just because people want a reunion. I was not able to get tickets to the 02 and I was sad for a few days, then moved on. We all have many places to go in this internet world we live in now. I chose to come here and discuss music and show respect for what I think is the greatest band ever..I have never felt any different. I for one do not feel that there needs to be heated discussions to keep the forum interesting. It is easy to sit behind a screen and post what some of you post here.

I appreciate the 25 or so people from this forum that I have created a friendship with. I value them and because of the music these great people have come into my life! There is no price you can put on that IMHO. I love that we talk on the phone about Led Zeppelin, our memories and stories both old and new.

Scarlet- you seem to be one who likes to stir things up. That is your right. I personally do not come here for that. I like discussing music and being able to share thoughts with some great people that are here.

Dark Lord- If I am mistaken I will apologize openly to you. Am I considered one of the holier than thou crowd?...if so please explain. If you go back to my post on this forum you will see that I respect this band and do not place one above the other. I can only think of one time where this might have been taken that way and I will stand by it. I stated that as individual members Jonesy is more talented than either Jimmy or Robert. I stand by that, hence the reason I posted it! ..again, not quite sure about that holier comment and extend and welcome you the opportunity to help me understand:-)

Bottom line for me, I expect the press to come up with one liners to get attention to sell magazines or websites to draw in people, but when fans start to rip the band or a member of the band I admit I get pissed! Like I said Robert seems to get the most and I am OVER IT!!!

Mook- your Katy Perry post.. I had to laugh out loud!!! To all of the other fellow forum members, thank you in advance for my putting up with me:-) :peace:

Deborah, I only took exception to your statement that certain people needed to "fuck-off". I did not refer to anyone specifically as part of the holier than though crowd, and I used that phrase as a blanket to describe an overall sentiment that I see, and which suggests that anyone who wants to discuss the reunion topic is out of order. If you look back on my posts, I have really only railed against a sentiment that the pro-reunion side should not have a say. I think they should have their say. They are fans with passion for this band. They may be misguided in their thinking, but I, personally, want to hear from them. If you look at this site, very few people discuss the music anymore. Some people talk about Jimmy's clothes, or Roberts hair, and running their fingers through it for hours, and I cannot get into that. So, if communicated respectfully, I am happy to hear all sides of the reunion discussion, and I prefer not to see people admonished for their views, hopes, and desires.

As for me, I will be crystal clear: I respect Robert's decision whole-heartedly, but I wish that both he and Jimmy would stop fanning the flames. I also hope that there will be another event in the future; not a tour, but perhaps a one off event like the O2, which none of us ever thought we would see. I love Jimmy's passion for the band, and I wish he could realize a goal of his, but I highly doubt that it will occur. I respect any fan that loves this band enough to dream of them doing something again in the future. Deborah, you are a nice lady. SAJ is a nice guy. We aren't all going to see eye to eye on everything, but we should all be afforded a chance to speak our muse. Peace.

Deborah, I only took exception to your statement that certain people needed to "fuck-off". I did not refer to anyone specifically as part of the holier than though crowd, and I used that phrase as a blanket to describe an overall sentiment that I see, and which suggests that anyone who wants to discuss the reunion topic is out of order. If you look back on my posts, I have really only railed against a sentiment that the pro-reunion side should not have a say. I think they should have their say. They are fans with passion for this band. They may be misguided in their thinking, but I, personally, want to hear from them. If you look at this site, very few people discuss the music anymore. Some people talk about Jimmy's clothes, or Roberts hair, and running their fingers through it for hours, and I cannot get into that. So, if communicated respectfully, I am happy to hear all sides of the reunion discussion, and I prefer not to see people admonished for their views, hopes, and desires.

As for me, I will be crystal clear: I respect Robert's decision whole-heartedly, but I wish that both he and Jimmy would stop fanning the flames. I also hope that there will be another event in the future; not a tour, but perhaps a one off event like the O2, which none of us ever thought we would see. I love Jimmy's passion for the band, and I wish he could realize a goal of his, but I highly doubt that it will occur. I respect any fan that loves this band enough to dream of them doing something again in the future. Deborah, you are a nice lady. SAJ is a nice guy. We aren't all going to see eye to eye on everything, but we should all be afforded a chance to speak our muse. Peace.

I echo your sentiments. And if those of us that do want them to play again want them to, we have every damn right to say so. Its very obvious Jimmy Page would do it in a minute. Robert has been clear his answer is no. Recently some rumors have suggested that maybe he is giving in to pressure? I rather doubt it. If he indeed turned down that kind of money, and that was not even money that they would receive for concerts or any albums that may come of a concert, then his mind is made up. Its staggering the figures that they would haul in if they did it. Even if they played one or two lets say outdoors in America it would be off the charts. I do not think they could get away with playing one in the USA. They had to know that before when they did O2. The demand would be so great there would be trouble. Cars tipped over, forging, and whatever else. They would have to play at least one on the East coast and one on the West coast minimum. But then we would have another lottery situation no doubt. Its 99.9 percent sure it won't happen. i am not willing to say 100. People can change their minds,. But as some have said, the window is closing due to their age. If it is not already closed. I do think they could still do it. After all Plant is till touring. The flames are being fanned still. Jimmy showing up on Letterman even gets them going. I really wish they had written some new material even after Live Aid. I saw the Firm and the Now and Zen tour. Both were great shows. But not the same as when I saw them in 77. Well, I will get ready to buy PG remastered. You know its probably easier for Jimmy because singing is tough to re create. Robert would not sound like he did 40 yrs ago. O2 was great, don't get me wrong. But I think its easier for the musician than the vocalist in some ways. Even though their material is very physically demanding. its not like playing Over the Rainbow on piano.

^^ Hello Dark Lord!

Thank you for the direct and honest response. My apologies if I came across to you in a negative way. I knew when I posted that this was one thread that I should have stayed out of ! I do understand your point, however it is impossible for me to not say anything when anyone starts bashing them for whatever reason...so lesson learned. Just as I stay off the political and the religion threads, in the future I will stay out of any reunion thread. It is a battle that I am tired of addressing or being any part of. :wall:

I do feel bad that some moron started this shit, AGAIN!..and it starts flying all over the news outlets without any fact checking. Mr. Branson nor Robert should not have to respond to such incompetence IMHO!

^^Great post the chase! I totally agree:-) :peace:

^^ Hello Dark Lord!

Thank you for the direct and honest response. My apologies if I came across to you in a negative way. I knew when I posted that this was one thread that I should have stayed out of ! I do understand your point, however it is impossible for me to not say anything when anyone starts bashing them for whatever reason...so lesson learned. Just as I stay off the political and the religion threads, in the future I will stay out of any reunion thread. It is a battle that I am tired of addressing or being any part of. :wall:

I do feel bad that some moron started this shit, AGAIN!..and it starts flying all over the news outlets without any fact checking. Mr. Branson nor Robert should not have to respond to such incompetence IMHO!

^^Great post the chase! I totally agree:-) :peace:

I for one would love to see your contributions in these types of threads. i just think that we all need to check our frustrations at the door. Some of the contributors here are younger than us, and are new(ish) to Led Zeppelin. They are in a difference place in terms of acceptance, than some of us are. I think your contributions are valued ones, so please don't stay away. :)

Let's make this answer on this made up, false journalism topic short!

Most would go, I would too! Enough!?

Speaking of what is and salivating, how is it that an event with Jimmy Page and the most beautiful man in rock, Chris Cornell, is NOT sold out? What's the matter with LA?

It's one thing to pay a few hundred dollars for a live show, but another to watch two guys sit & talk about the distant past for an hour, especially when so many interviews and discussions about the same topic are freely available online now. It'll be packed come the night...but supply and demand and LA offers a myriad of entertainment options.

Count me out, unless you could guarantee me a seat in the 15th row dead centre with everyone in front of me staying seated no shouts of Jimmeeeee or Roberrrrrrt no talking shouting or whistling during songs.

....... and shoving phones in the air to record 5 minutes of badly filmed posterity. Plus you wouldn't get a ticket as ( i assume) your not a celeb?

....... and shoving phones in the air to record 5 minutes of badly filmed posterity. Plus you wouldn't get a ticket as ( i assume) your not a celeb?

It makes me laugh when you're in the rafters at the back of some cavenous enormodome (the only tickets I seem to be able to get in recent times) a quarter of a mile from the stage and the people around you are taking those said pictures on a phone ffs.

I knew this story was crap......even Plant would take $800 million to reform LOL....heck even he'd sing Stairway for 3 hours for THAT kind of money.

You reckon he'd do it for big money do you. Not a chance, Planty has all the money he needs. No amount of money would entice him away from playing the intimate kind of venue he so enjoys playing with the SSS, and why what would be the point.

Archived