Physical graffiti Remastered

appiantiqua

Jimmy is going to get more of my money. I MUST have PG remastered. MUST. I'll get the CD set for my birthday. Can't wait. Have 8 speakers in my SUV so I will blast the old lady to Kashmir. I will never forget the wait between Houses of the Holy and PG back in the day. 18 months we waited so impatiently for Zeppelin to release that next masterpiece. And man did they come through. I still remember putting the 8 track into my 66 Mustang 8 track player and when I heard Trampled Under Foot and Kashmir I was like, this is soooooooo different than the previous material. That is what made them so damn great also was their versatility. Unequaled. I cannot think of another band that was able to be so different from album to album, for so many studio recordings at such a high level. Never. I mean, sure, the red album compared to the blue album sets of the Beatles was very different. But they did not have the quality in every single song from album to album that LZ did. Aerosmith was great there for a bit but they were repetitious as were all the rest and that includes you Ozzy. Compared to Led Zeppelin, they are nothing. PG is probably the most versatile rock album of all time. You have country and hard rock mixed in Down By the Seaside, you have disco and hard rock in Trampled Under Foot (which by the way I actually got a DJ to play at a disco joint that was packed every night), and then Kashmir is classical and hard rock. Just incredible. IMTOD just blows you away. The slide. And them Bronyaur, how unique is that? Kind of like the Black Mountain Side of PG but I like it even more. Love them both though. What a tremendous work PG is. To me its always going to be IV, PG and then II if I have to pick an order. But they are all magical in their own right. Houses of the Holy I remember coming out in the winter. So No Quarter was alot more appropriate here than Dancing Days though I love that whole album. And the top 40 freaks even got their Dyer Maker from that one. I love that song too. I am really happy to hear PG is coming out remastered. I have to pony up again but I do not mind in the least. i would spend a million on Led Zeppelin stuff. Keep it coming Jimmy!! :notworthy:

Jimmy is going to get more of my money. I MUST have PG remastered. MUST. I'll get the CD set for my birthday. Can't wait. Have 8 speakers in my SUV so I will blast the old lady to Kashmir. I will never forget the wait between Houses of the Holy and PG back in the day. 18 months we waited so impatiently for Zeppelin to release that next masterpiece. And man did they come through. I still remember putting the 8 track into my 66 Mustang 8 track player and when I heard Trampled Under Foot and Kashmir I was like, this is soooooooo different than the previous material. That is what made them so damn great also was their versatility. Unequaled. I cannot think of another band that was able to be so different from album to album, for so many studio recordings at such a high level. Never. I mean, sure, the red album compared to the blue album sets of the Beatles was very different. But they did not have the quality in every single song from album to album that LZ did. Aerosmith was great there for a bit but they were repetitious as were all the rest and that includes you Ozzy. Compared to Led Zeppelin, they are nothing. PG is probably the most versatile rock album of all time. You have country and hard rock mixed in Down By the Seaside, you have disco and hard rock in Trampled Under Foot (which by the way I actually got a DJ to play at a disco joint that was packed every night), and then Kashmir is classical and hard rock. Just incredible. IMTOD just blows you away. The slide. And them Bronyaur, how unique is that? Kind of like the Black Mountain Side of PG but I like it even more. Love them both though. What a tremendous work PG is. To me its always going to be IV, PG and then II if I have to pick an order. But they are all magical in their own right. Houses of the Holy I remember coming out in the winter. So No Quarter was alot more appropriate here than Dancing Days though I love that whole album. And the top 40 freaks even got their Dyer Maker from that one. I love that song too. I am really happy to hear PG is coming out remastered. I have to pony up again but I do not mind in the least. i would spend a million on Led Zeppelin stuff. Keep it coming Jimmy!! :notworthy:

I completely agree with you on the importance of Physical Graffitti !!!

Honestly I'm not worried much about the "companion disc": I was pleased to find the original labels of multitracks despite STH and NQ are no longer available: p

Viceversa, I Would still be happy to find a wild first version of "Hots on for Nowhere" and the other funky piece circulating among various bootlegs, in highest quality.

From a fan perspective, this PG remaster is without doubt the most eagerly anticipated. I expect I'm one of many who view the companion discs released so far as being interesting, but rarely played more than once. I personally think they have all been done just to create a more spectacular-looking product. It makes for a bigger media splash than simply coming out with yet another round of remastering, which every major artist has been doing. I haven't checked, but I wonder if Jimmy was also motivated by what I suspect are double unit numbers being sold for RIAA purposes. I guess that could be quadruple for PG.

I think they are produced by the strings of one of Jimmy's guitar track

Probably, one of these guitar is open tuning. When I play in open tuning, strings and their harmonics produce a similar effect :)

Of all the companion disc tracks I find myself continually going back to Four Sticks - does anyone else hear the drone (can't think of any other way to describe it) sound almost throughout the whole track? It was always there I guess, but this 180g press just brings up to the front & I LOVE it!

Thanks for this.

Guitar sounds like a Strat in pickup position 2 with a Tonebender. Definitely a more harder edge than the original and an extra track from the HOTH sessions..

Cool stuff sixpense! I agree, the sound is much harder than the original, I really like it!!

My next purchase for sure. And right soon. Can't wait. I will never forget the first time I heard PG. On 8 track. Shocking when compared to Houses of the Holy. I mean, I love them both, but so very different kind of albums. Their versatility is simply amazing

Their versatility is simply amazing

This is where you have to give Zeppelin extra bonus points -essentially Jimmy Page- for deigning to include to 1970-72 material on PG as opposed to merely focusing on the 1974 Headley Grange sessions. Don't get me wrong, if Physical Graffiti had consisted of just the new '74 songs (presumably edited down to single albums' length) it'd still be a bonecrushing record, but IMO where a lot of the actual double album's versatility stems from is the inclusion of those previously unreleased tracks. The '74 material is a pretty straight ahead collection of rock and progressive rock, but the outtakes touch upon Zeppelin's pop and acoustic sensibilities, breaking up the monotony (for lack of a better term) in a sense. Physical Graffiti as released is definitely an album where the sum makes up more than the parts, and like most double albums needs to be appreciated as a whole to achieve the full effect.

I really have enjoyed the new remastered releases including the companion disks.

The only throwback is that it messes with the original artwork, but, they are not meant to represent the original album, the standard version does that.

I have to admit that the companion disk could have done more for tracks like black dog and rock n roll, and why did they cut evermore.

But all other than that, i have really enjoyed the companion disks, they are a great insight to the albums.

The track list for the Graffiti one is great. We finally have our answer on what would have been the track list for Physical Graffiti if it was a single album.

Why no swan song? Because it isint a part of the album. Never was , never will.

Does anyone else feel generally underwhelmed by these releases? I was going with it with 'I' (with the whole Paris gig on there) and certain parts of 'II' and 'III' were very interesting, but the fourth album and 'Houses of the Holy' seemed generally a bit redundant. The Sunset Sound mixes seem pointless to me - overall just not as good versions of the tracks we all know and love. On HOTH without listening to the originals plus the bonus ones back to back I found it hard to figure out what the difference was, and don't really care either. This sort of thing comes alive when we really get to hear the process of creating the songs - I have listened to the clean drum tracks from ITTOD loads more than any of the bonus discs - and I guarantee these won't be included on that Deluxe Edition when it appears later this year (probably).

When the Stones did 'One Plus One' (minus the Godard political posturing) and showed on camera the development of a track in the studio it was fascinating and a real insight into how a band works. These Zeppelin ones feel shy, coy and a little sneak glimpse behind the curtain, rather than throwing it wide open and hearing early versions of tracks/demos etc. There has been a long mooted Classic Albums doco on the fourth album but I bet that will never happen either - the idea of Page playing split tracks of the music clean a la Meatloaf with Todd Rundgren's motorbike/guitar solo on the 'Bat Out Of Hell' programme is enticing, but will never happen.

It's a real shame as they must have tons of this material but seem content to put out near replicas of the songs in many cases, rather than really revealing the process of creation, which just makes it feel a bit of a cheat. If I was a casual fan I would feel completely ripped off.

Of course, I will buy them all...

Does anyone else feel generally underwhelmed by these releases? I was going with it with 'I' (with the whole Paris gig on there) and certain parts of 'II' and 'III' were very interesting, but the fourth album and 'Houses of the Holy' seemed generally a bit redundant. The Sunset Sound mixes seem pointless to me - overall just not as good versions of the tracks we all know and love. On HOTH without listening to the originals plus the bonus ones back to back I found it hard to figure out what the difference was, and don't really care either. This sort of thing comes alive when we really get to hear the process of creating the songs - I have listened to the clean drum tracks from ITTOD loads more than any of the bonus discs - and I guarantee these won't be included on that Deluxe Edition when it appears later this year (probably).

When the Stones did 'One Plus One' (minus the Godard political posturing) and showed on camera the development of a track in the studio it was fascinating and a real insight into how a band works. These Zeppelin ones feel shy, coy and a little sneak glimpse behind the curtain, rather than throwing it wide open and hearing early versions of tracks/demos etc. There has been a long mooted Classic Albums doco on the fourth album but I bet that will never happen either - the idea of Page playing split tracks of the music clean a la Meatloaf with Todd Rundgren's motorbike/guitar solo on the 'Bat Out Of Hell' programme is enticing, but will never happen.

It's a real shame as they must have tons of this material but seem content to put out near replicas of the songs in many cases, rather than really revealing the process of creation, which just makes it feel a bit of a cheat. If I was a casual fan I would feel completely ripped off.

Of course, I will buy them all...

Ya, I buy them all too, and I generally like them, but I agree that some of the albums are underwhelming. It also bothers me that some of the rough takes and demos were clearly manufactured for the occasion and not truly historical documents of the recording process. La La is an example of a cut and paste made into a song after the fact. Its still a great song, though, and I enjoy it.

I'm not planning to pre-order the bonus disc for any of the rest, including Physical Graffiti. To me, the only worthwhile one so far has been the debut album with the entire concert as a bonus. Even for just two or three dollars extra, the rest of the bonus discs thus far aren't worth the money.

I know this wasn't what Jimmy was trying to do, but it really would be better if all of these bonus discs had been live recordings from the period of the album. As it is, I think this reissue series has hurt the band's credibility slightly...if he really wanted to show how the songs came together, he needed to give us examples of the songs at much earlier stages in their development. "I do have the original tape that was running at the time we ran down "Stairway To Heaven" completely with the band. I'd worked it all out already the night before with John Paul Jones, written down the changes and things. All this time we were all living in a house and keeping pretty regular hours together, so the next day we started running it down. There was only one place where there was a slight rerun. For some unknown reason Bonzo couldn't get the timing right on the twelve-string part before the solo. Other than that it flowed very quickly." THAT's the type of shit he should have put on the bonus discs!

Yeah, I listen to some of the streams, like the alternate HOTH...very underwhelming. Like you say, I am not sure of what the difference is, and it doesn't even matter.

I almost get the feeling some of these "alternate mixes" were made now. After all, JP has all the master tapes, he can make as many alternate mixes as he wants.

I for one would not pay for these releases, but they will sell VERY well!

Archived