1977 Soundboards...which do you do you think is the best?

Nutrocker

So far, we have the following '77 gigs in soundboard form:

Cleveland, April 27

Houston, May 21

Fort Worth, May 22

Landover, May 25/26/28/30

New York, June 7/11 (snippet)

Of these nine, which do you think represents the best performance? The worst? Which do you find yourself listening to most often?

For me, it's Fort Worth. By a long shot. I think it's the quintessential "tight but loose" performance. Too bad the remainder of the June 11 soundboard has disappeared into the annals of rock history...

Fort Worth is definitely the best. 5/25 and 5/30 are also quite good. I'd definitely put 5/28 at the bottom of the barrel, but the extra long Kashmir is still good.

I'm not gonna try to turn this into an EVSD speculation thread, but I really hope a soundboard of 6/8 comes out.

^^^

No question about it, 5/28 is the worst of the lot...I can't remember the last time I listened to that show (or any of the Landover gigs, for that matter- probably when Double Shot came out, actually!)

Hell, Sue, speculate all you want...we're allowed to do that here!

For sure Fort Worth, the original soundboard that came out on EVSD sounded great already, but then the remaster that Liriodendron did made it even better!! That soundboard has so much warmth, clarity, and band separation that no other 77 soundboard has. And that the performance is really good too, the "tight but loose" concept is strong during this show, like you mentioned Nutrocker.

Where's Seattle Nutrocker?

I'll hold off declaring my pick for best...I just relistened to 5/26 and 5/30 and 5/30 especially sounded pretty good. I'll have to give Texas Hurricane another listen to make my final decision.

I can definitely say what is at the bottom of the list: Houston and 5/28 Landover...two of my least-listened to Zeppelin boots ever.

I have a similar view to most here so far - but based on folks' comments, I would say I rank 5/30 a closer 2nd to Fort Worth than some others.

At any rate, I guess I'd rank them 5/22, followed closely by 5/30, then 4/27 then 5/25 - and I agree 5/28 would be last.

If what we have of 6/11 is a fair representation of the whole show (which of course is NEVER a safe bet when it comes to '77 shows), then it would probably become #2 or #3 in my book.

If we throw Seattle in, though, that would probably become last. Yuk.

Fort Worth's performance is very good - but it also doesn't hurt that it's the best-sounding '77 soundboard to date as well.

Of course, if 4/28 or any of the June NYC or LA-area shows surface as soundboards, almost all of them will vault to the top of the list.

I seemed to recall really liking 5/26 because Plant sounded particularly into it, and Bonham's drumming is nice and clear on that one. For the Landover run, there are moments where a particular song actually works better on one night versus another, so a lot of it is pick and choose I think. The 5/30 show doesn't do much for me (the band sound kind of tired), but the performance of Since I've Been Loving You is great.

I really like Houston for Bonham's playing, but don't really have the same preference for Fort Worth. The first New York soundboard I was kind of shocked to find how little I was into that show, even after having enjoyed the audience source for so long.

Where's Seattle Nutrocker?

I think Seattle is the video soundtrack. The debate goes back and forth. Either way I think it's too dry

What Listen To This said...Seattle isn't a "true" soundboard per se, just umpteen million versions of the video soundtrack. I suppose you could include it in the list, not that it holds a fuckin' candle to Fort Worth...

4/1/77 Dallas

4/30/77 Pontiac

5/19/77 Baton Rouge

5/31/77 Greensboro

6/22/77 LA

Soundboards remember? Unless you know something we don't?

Methinks ol' LedHed is trying to stir up the shit again...

LedHed, either start naming names and show some actual proof for your claims or GTFO. And, no, "I heard it from so and so..." ain't gonna cut it.

Has anybody heard the soundboard snippet of Jimmy's bow solo from 6-23-77? Its been a long long time since I heard it. I had downloaded it from the Presence server many moons ago and have since lost it due to computer failure. If I remember correctly I wasn't all that impressed with the sound for a SB.

I think mrledhed wasnt saying he had them so much as he was saying they would be the best 77 soundboards.

This guy?:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17022-no-newly-circulated-live-shows-in-2011/page-6

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19533-coming-soonin-full-dimensional-stereo/page-4#entry738853

(He's made other "My contact" type posts intimating 'insider' knowledge on some of the missing '77 soundboards as well...hence why I said name some names -or even "Sorry, I can't name names"- but he has this habit of popping up in these discussions claiming he knows stuff about uncirculating material with certainty but ultimately can never back up his claims :lol: )

Has anybody heard the soundboard snippet of Jimmy's bow solo from 6-23-77? Its been a long long time since I heard it. I had downloaded it from the Presence server many moons ago and have since lost it due to computer failure. If I remember correctly I wasn't all that impressed with the sound for a SB.

I've never heard it. I'm holding out for the whole show at some point...

Edited by Nutrocker

Hard to say ,but all the front running shows have been posted , ....the soundboard makes it clear but some songs and solos come into the mix, ....great sound,lackluster solo,,or brilliant solo ,lackluster sound.I thought someone would have recorded best song version of tour and make a compilation live 77 album. Best song from from different venue a then make a full set list w/ it

This is my 77 soundboard compilation raytuned:

TSRTS 5/30

Sick Again 4/27

Nobody's Fault 5/22

In My Time of Dying 5/25

Since I've Been Loving You 5/21

No Quarter 5/22 (this was very hard between 5/22 and 6/11.. went with 5/22 cause of Nutrocker)

Ten Years Gone 6/7

The Battle of Evermore 5/22

Going to California 5/22

Dancing Days 5/26

Black Country Woman 5/30

Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp 6/7

Kashmir 5/25

Achilles Last Stand 5/22

Stairway To Heaven 5/22

Whole Lotta Love/Rock & Roll 5/22

Trampled Underfoot 4/27

I don't have 5/28 but from what I've read I'm not missing anything.

This is my 77 soundboard compilation raytuned:

TSRTS 5/30

Sick Again 4/27

Nobody's Fault 5/22

In My Time of Dying 5/25

Since I've Been Loving You 5/21

No Quarter 5/22 (this was very hard between 5/22 and 6/11.. went with 5/22 cause of Nutrocker)

Ten Years Gone 6/7

The Battle of Evermore 5/22

Going to California 5/22

Dancing Days 5/26

Black Country Woman 5/30

Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp 6/7

Kashmir 5/25

Achilles Last Stand 5/22

Stairway To Heaven 5/22

Whole Lotta Love/Rock & Roll 5/22

Trampled Underfoot 4/27

I don't have 5/28 but from what I've read I'm not missing anything.

I'd add the White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Over the Top, and the Noise Solo from 5/22 to that list, unless of course you left them off on purpose...

Edited by Sue Dounim