1977 Soundboards...which do you do you think is the best?

Nutrocker

post-21000-0-90690600-1421964228_thumb.j

:hysterical:

Personally, I find Over The Top and Jimmy's noise solo from the 23'rd to be very good. All except the part where he lifts the guitar up and down with that weird effect. The rest is genius. Especially the toggle switch bit just before the theremin part from the 23'rd, short and sweet but very atmospheric. Better than any other night!

Edited by juxtiphi

This is my 77 soundboard compilation raytuned:

TSRTS 5/30

Sick Again 4/27

Nobody's Fault 5/22

In My Time of Dying 5/25

Since I've Been Loving You 5/21

No Quarter 5/22 (this was very hard between 5/22 and 6/11.. went with 5/22 cause of Nutrocker)

Ten Years Gone 6/7

The Battle of Evermore 5/22

Going to California 5/22

Dancing Days 5/26

Black Country Woman 5/30

Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp 6/7

Kashmir 5/25

Achilles Last Stand 5/22

Stairway To Heaven 5/22

Whole Lotta Love/Rock & Roll 5/22

Trampled Underfoot 4/27

I don't have 5/28 but from what I've read I'm not missing anything.

Zounds!!! You left off "Over the Hills and Far Away" you mad fool! Thirty lashes with Jimmy's bow.

Strider....which 77 soundboard did they play Over The Hills? Am I missing something?

Hmmm, I thought one of the NYC soundboards had OTHAFA on the setlist. I guess I'm wrong.

Technically you could include Seattle on the soundboard list, even though it isn't a soundboard per se...so, yeah, that dog of a performance of "Over The Hills" from Seattle is the closest we have...so far.

I'd add the White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Over the Top, and the Noise Solo from 5/22 to that list, unless of course you left them off on purpose...

Yes, I left them off on purpose. Not my cup of tea.

:lol::lol::lol:

(somehow I knew that'd be Sue's reaction...she's the most ardent defender of the '77 Noise solos I know!)

This is a first. Strider wrong on something??

They played Over The Hills on 6/10; 6/13 & 6/14 in NYC and 5 of the 6 LA Forum shows. Seattle too, but that version wasn't Jimmy's finest moment.

Now now, if you stick around long enough you will see I am wrong about a lot of things. Yesterday...today...tomorrow. Just recently I found out I have been mistaking August 23, 1971 for August 22, 1970.

:lol::lol::lol:

(somehow I knew that'd be Sue's reaction...she's the most ardent defender of the '77 Noise solos I know!)

That's because she didn't have to sit through 'em. :P

Don't hurt me Sue...I keeed, I keeed. ;)

Edited by Strider

That's because she didn't have to sit through 'em. :P

Hey, at least you had the laser pyramid and dry ice fog and whatnot to trip out on while Page was doing his thing...those effects are kind of lost sitting at home listening to the goddamn recordings...closest approximation I can get to that is smokin' a fatty and blowing the smoke around my living room :lol:

Hey, at least you had the laser pyramid and dry ice fog and whatnot to trip out on while Page was doing his thing...those effects are kind of lost sitting at home listening to the goddamn recordings...closest approximation I can get to that is smokin' a fatty and blowing the smoke around my living room :lol:

There is a pretty good video of Jimmy doing his bow solo in Syracuse 1988. Of all the vids where you can see it Syracuse is the best and its a pretty creepy solo too.

Edited by juxtiphi

No question the visual razzle-dazzle helped the drum and guitar solo segments go down easier, although given that this part of the show came after the two-hour mark it was also a handy bathroom and snack-line break. Especially for the ladies and men with small bladders.

See...Led Zeppelin was thinking of the comfort of their fans!!!

No question the visual razzle-dazzle helped the drum and guitar solo segments go down easier, although given that this part of the show came after the two-hour mark it was also a handy bathroom and snack-line break. Especially for the ladies and men with small bladders.

See...Led Zeppelin was thinking of the comfort of their fans!!!

More accurately, they were thinking of the comfort of their lead singer who still had a bit of a bum leg from his car accident...

Is there anybody here who knows whether or not Fort Worth is the last 77 soundboard Empress Valley are releasing? It's been unreal having shows nobody's heard in forty years appear out of nowhere and I'm wondering how long it can go on. Although I'm more excited to hear new shows, a matrix of the LA run using Miller's and soundboards would be a dream come true.

Is there anybody here who knows whether or not Fort Worth is the last 77 soundboard Empress Valley are releasing? It's been unreal having shows nobody's heard in forty years appear out of nowhere and I'm wondering how long it can go on. Although I'm more excited to hear new shows, a matrix of the LA run using Miller's and soundboards would be a dream come true.

General consensus on this forum is that there is a likelihood that most if not all of the second leg of '77 tour exists in soundboard format (no real proof for this, just a general feeling amongst us collectors) and if so we should expect to see more goodies pop up in the next few years... the holy grails, I suppose -besides the redundant soundboards for the Millard recorded L.A. shows- being soundboard tapes for two of the "missing" 1977 shows, Baton Rouge and Greensboro. Considering that until the release of the Houston soundboard a few years back no corresponding audience tapes existed for that show, it gives us hope that we may yet see one or two of the other missing '77 shows (Dallas, Minneapolis, St Paul, St Louis, Indianapolis, Baton Rouge and Greensboro) appear on a soundboard tape, since audience tapes don't circulate for those gigs. Mind ya, there are also lunatics (like myself) who drool at the prospect of the possibility of a Tempe soundboard existing, so I suppose there's no accounting for taste :lol:

If Fort Worth is really the best new show we've gotten from them so far (I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet), then hopefully that means whatever new shows are left are even better. It wouldn't be good business to sell a show, then try to sell one that isn't as good afterwards. I could also see them saving the LA run for last even if a different show is better since those are so iconic. It's too bad we don't have proof Fort Worth isn't the last one, but I do feel as though they'd say so if it was.

If I had to choose one from the missing shows you mentioned, it would be Greensboro. The Landover run is superb, with their best-ever performances of Kashmir (5/28) and Achille's Last Stand (5/30) in my opinion. If the night after was any better, it would be the best show of 77!

If Fort Worth is really the best new show we've gotten from them so far (I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet), then hopefully that means whatever new shows are left are even better. It wouldn't be good business to sell a show, then try to sell one that isn't as good afterwards. I could also see them saving the LA run for last even if a different show is better since those are so iconic. It's too bad we don't have proof Fort Worth isn't the last one, but I do feel as though they'd say so if it was.

No question about it, Fort Worth is the best '77 soundboard we have thus far...you gotta get it!

If I had to choose one from the missing shows you mentioned, it would be Greensboro. The Landover run is superb, with their best-ever performances of Kashmir (5/28) and Achille's Last Stand (5/30) in my opinion. If the night after was any better, it would be the best show of 77!

By all accounts Greensboro was an epic show, Bonzo's birthday party and all. If they maintained the energy and performance level they had for the last Landover show, Greensboro would be a good 'un!

This is my 77 soundboard compilation raytuned:

TSRTS 5/30

Sick Again 4/27

Nobody's Fault 5/22

In My Time of Dying 5/25

Since I've Been Loving You 5/21

No Quarter 5/22 (this was very hard between 5/22 and 6/11.. went with 5/22 cause of Nutrocker)

Ten Years Gone 6/7

The Battle of Evermore 5/22

Going to California 5/22

Dancing Days 5/26

Black Country Woman 5/30

Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp 6/7

Kashmir 5/25

Achilles Last Stand 5/22

Stairway To Heaven 5/22

Whole Lotta Love/Rock & Roll 5/22

Trampled Underfoot 4/27

I don't have 5/28 but from what I've read I'm not missing anything.

Did you leave It'll Be Me from 5/22 off intentionally as well?

General consensus on this forum is that there is a likelihood that most if not all of the second leg of '77 tour exists in soundboard format (no real proof for this, just a general feeling amongst us collectors) and if so we should expect to see more goodies pop up in the next few years... the holy grails, I suppose -besides the redundant soundboards for the Millard recorded L.A. shows- being soundboard tapes for two of the "missing" 1977 shows, Baton Rouge and Greensboro. Considering that until the release of the Houston soundboard a few years back no corresponding audience tapes existed for that show, it gives us hope that we may yet see one or two of the other missing '77 shows (Dallas, Minneapolis, St Paul, St Louis, Indianapolis, Baton Rouge and Greensboro) appear on a soundboard tape, since audience tapes don't circulate for those gigs. Mind ya, there are also lunatics (like myself) who drool at the prospect of the possibility of a Tempe soundboard existing, so I suppose there's no accounting for taste :lol:

Well AFAIK every single concert was recorded from the soundboard as with the other tours, except for the missing parts in between tape flips at the 45 minute marks during 1977. This was the first tour recorded using cassette tape, as opposed to reel. The EVSD folks only have access to AT BEST - 5/19/77, 5/31/77, and perhaps one more NYC concert. The others likely exist somewhere, but the person associated with EVSD clearly doesn't have access. They probably only have 5 more 1975 shows left. They only had ranges of dates anyway, the pattern is very obvious.

As far as Tempe, I also would be interested in that. It's interesting and unique, even though it's considered a weak performance.

Edited by mrledhed

Well AFAIK every single concert was recorded from the soundboard as with the other tours, except for the missing parts in between tape flips at the 45 minute marks during 1977. This was the first tour recorded using cassette tape, as opposed to reel. The EVSD folks only have access to AT BEST - 5/19/77, 5/31/77, and perhaps one more NYC concert. The others likely exist somewhere, but the person associated with EVSD clearly doesn't have access. They probably only have 5 more 1975 shows left. They only had ranges of dates anyway, the pattern is very obvious.

As far as Tempe, I also would be interested in that. It's interesting and unique, even though it's considered a weak performance.

Well let's hope the other NY '77 one is 6/13! Or I guess 6/14 complete would be good too.

I guess the '75 pattern would suggest they have 3/21 Seattle, unless it stops at 3/20 Vancouver...fingers crossed it doesn't.