1977 Soundboards...which do you do you think is the best?

Nutrocker

I admit '77 gigs weren't always the ones I'd search out. Which is odd for me because
Physical Graffiti and Presence contain some my favourite tunes - with that being said
I realized I was missing out on some of my beloved LZ songs being performed.

Does '77 have cringe worthy moments? Hell yes of course, but I roll with it. 

I have a new appreciation for '77 when I go back and listen. I will say I get to the Oakland
gig and it's always kind of bitter sweet knowing that when the show is over...It's over for those
in North America...... :( 

Ah happy thoughts though. There are endless ways to keep hearing this timeless music. 
Nod to Jimmy and the fans for keeping LZ so much alive :drinks:

I really don't have a specific '77 performance I deem my number one. I take a bit from many of
them and enjoy..Haha and no I don't mean splicing and editing one song from several nights..

The only L.A. '77 soundboards that would really be WORTH having would be June 22 and June 26, since the circulating audience tapes are pretty mediocre. Ditto for the New York shows, where the audience tapes are fairly decent with the exception of June 8. Of course I'd be happier than a pig in shit if June 10 or 11 (the FULL show!) ever appeared in soundboard. 

But again, enough with the goddamn reruns (i.e. putting out soundboards for shows we already have audience tapes for)...they (meaning EVSD or whoever) need to come up with a show that is uncirculated up to this point. 

The only L.A. '77 soundboards that would really be WORTH having would be June 22 and June 26, since the circulating audience tapes are pretty mediocre. Ditto for the New York shows, where the audience tapes are fairly decent with the exception of June 8. Of course I'd be happier than a pig in shit if June 10 or 11 (the FULL show!) ever appeared in soundboard. 

But again, enough with the goddamn reruns (i.e. putting out soundboards for shows we already have audience tapes for)...they (meaning EVSD or whoever) need to come up with a show that is uncirculated up to this point. 

I agree. I am happy with the LA Boots that are out. I love the audience recordings. It would be awesome to get an unheard 77 or 75 show! Like Houston 75, the full Tempe 77. That be cool! I would be so happy to hear that Houston 75 show!

That's assuming they have a "choice" in which shows they're sold...and, honestly, they wouldn't want to run out of potential sales too soon/would want to capitalize on sales of iconic shows if they can (e.g., L.A. 75, L.A. 77).

At this point it seems the well has dried up...at least for now. The fact that nothing of any substance was released in the past year (during all the hype for the remasters) seems to be rather suggestive.

dernit!!! you guys need to give a solid (turn it up loud) listen to these shows. 5/30/77, 5/22/77, 6/21/77, 6/23/5/7/77, 6/7/77 a listen, and get back to me. are you listening to music on your alarm clock? turn it up!

What we're saying is we don't really need boards for the Millard shows, because it's hard to picture any soundboard being better than those. ;)

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

Are you F**KING KIDDING ME? "The only thing an LA 77 board would be good for" ?????

YOU ARE BANISHED!

GO! ;)  Kidding, but even with the great Millard tapes, there is no doubt that a board of 6/21, 6/23, and even 6/25 and 6/27 are my holy grails. The other shows (22nd and 26th) I'm not too familiar with, but they sound just as well performed as any of the others to me, also.

Listen to the first 5 tunes from 5.30.77 again. Seems like you folks have forgot how good 1977 really was on a good night.

And NQ from 5.22, as well as Since I've Been Loving You, are a DREAM my friends. EXCELLENT.

I think a lot of people have forgotten how good 1977 was in general.

Its such a matter of taste and its so hard to sway someone who knows nothing but what is heard on the radio. Modern day radio pop and rock can have such monotonous tones. Guitar, synth ... etc. But some people love it and if you let them listen to something out of the box such as a 1977 Led Zeppelin bootleg they cringe and look at you weirdly with the thought of when are you going to stop this madness. (Beautiful madness to my ears). This from experience as I have a friend who listens to music from a very studio perfection pop 4/4 meter perspective. Studio Zeppelin he can handle for the most part but mainly the more radio friendly hits. In a lot of ways I respect some of his choices in music and he has a mind like a steel trap dropping lyrics in conversation at that perfect moment. Again though anything "outside of the box" say some Stooges or Psych music and the weird look returns. I still try to convert any chance I get as sometimes it takes a few listens before I can get into some music.

1977 Ft. Worth... Boom. Page Plant Jones Bonham ... chills...

Edited by cosmic_juice
afterthought

Its such a matter of taste and its so hard to sway someone who knows nothing but what is heard on the radio.

Probably a good thing that I don't know or even associate with anybody who listens to "Top fourty" style radio :lol:

I know what you mean though...like I say, a '77 show isn't really good music to bust out at a party, at least once disc three comes around. If it's a small gathering where everybody's just sitting round smoking and/or drinking, then maybe.

I like Cleveland (Detroyer) 27/4, because the mix and sound is so good. Not a top notch performance, though. Bit of nostalgia as well, as it was the first boot of the '77 tour I bought on bootleg back in the early 90s at a record fair.

Edited by Flares

• 2 years later...

I really love the June 7th msg show. It's one of my favorites from 77. Its to bad it goes of the rails with Kashmir a uninspired stairway and a chaotic encore because up to that point it was well on its way to being the best 77 show up to that point in the tour. Tsrts sick again imtod since I've been loving you no quarter and ten years gone were all fantastic versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there any hope that we might one day see (hear) “A Listen To This Eddie” LA Forum show in soundboard? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Jimmy went through the archives— specifically 1977, when he was searching for material for the DVD/How The West Was Won Release and didn’t find a lot from 1977. Who else might have it, if not the band? That’s too bad. 

Can someone point me in the right direction for where I might find these 1977 shows for download? Share the music, share the love.

thanks,

Arthur

Edited by HolySoldierFan