2015 Cricket World Cup

Reggie29

As much as I can, Jules. It just lucked out that after I returned from my book signing party after midnight, the England- Aussie match was still being live-streamed so I was able to follow along whilst catching up on mail and everything.

Still don't know what the dickens is going on half the time but I like to get out of my cultural comfort zone now and zen...it's a refreshing tonic.

That's really great! Keep watching, you will soon pick it up.

so.... you are cheering for the Aussies of course? :)

Still don't know what the dickens is going on half the time but I like to get out of my cultural comfort zone now and zen...it's a refreshing tonic.

The laws are very complex but this is a crash course Cricket overview.

Test matches:

Go for five days at 90 overs per day, consist of two innings per twelve players per side.

Team captains are fined for slow over rates.

Possible outcomes;

Win - score most runs and take all wickets within 5 days

Lose - score less runs and not take all wickets within 5 days

Draw - When neither team take 20 wickets during a match regardless of amount of runs scored

Tie - When both teams score the same amount of runs regardless of total wickets lost

Limited overs

One Day - One innings per each team consisting of 50 overs scheduled for 8 hours a result can happen earlier.

T20 = One innings per each team consisting of 20 overs

All forms have teams of 12 players, eleven take the oval when fielding and only 10 players bat

Twelfth man is a reserve / substitute fielder and runner for the team

Bowling

Over - six balls bowled by alternate bowlers at opposite ends of the pitch

Maiden over - no runs scored

Spin - slow bowling

Pace - Medium / Fast bowling

Wicketkeeper - the only player except for the batsmen wearing gloves

Batting

Openers - first up pair of batters

Middle order - 3rd - 7th batters, usually the captain bats 3rd or 4th, wicket keeper 6th / 7th

Tail - Bowlers

Ways to get out = dismissals

Bowled - the bowler hits the stumps and bales that form the wicket

Chopped on - The batsman hits the stumps with the ball from a misdirected shot

Bat Before Wicket = BBW - the batman breaks the stumps with his bat

Leg Before Wicket = LBW - the bowler hits the bowlers legs in line with the wicket without the ball touching the bat

Stumping - Wicket keeper breaks the stumps when the batter is out of his crease (white line in front of the wicket)

Runout - A fieldsman throws the ball, hits and breaks the stumps direct while batsmen are running between wickets while out of their crease

Caught - The ball is gathered in the hands before it hits the ground.

There are many ways to score runs.

Ones, twos, threes, fours, fives and sixes.

Boundaries

Hitting the rope or fence = 4 runs

Clearing the rope or fence = 6 runs

Byes - the bowler, wicket keeper and batsman miss the ball

Leg byes - the ball deflects off the batter's legs (not in front of wicket)

No Ball - the bowler overstepped the crease or "chucked the ball"

Wide - the ball overshoots the width of the Cricket pitch

Powerplays

Batting - occur before the 40th over consists of 5 overs

Bowling - the field is set with only 3 fielders inside the circle

Dismissal Review System = DRS - each team has 2 batting and bowling challenges

This may help, Strider.

The laws are very complex but this is a crash course Cricket overview.

Test matches:

Go for five days at 90 overs per day, consist of two innings per twelve players per side.

Team captains are fined for slow over rates.

Possible outcomes;

Win - score most runs and take all wickets within 5 days

Lose - score less runs and not take all wickets within 5 days

Draw - When neither team take 20 wickets during a match regardless of amount of runs scored

Tie - When both teams score the same amount of runs regardless of total wickets lost

Limited overs

One Day - One innings per each team consisting of 50 overs scheduled for 8 hours a result can happen earlier.

T20 = One innings per each team consisting of 20 overs

All forms have teams of 12 players, eleven take the oval when fielding and only 10 players bat

Twefth man is a reserve / substitute fielder and runner for the team

Bowling

Over - six balls bowled by alternate bowlers at opposite ends of the pitch

Maiden over - no runs scored

Spin - slow bowling

Pace - Medium / Fast bowling

Wicketkeeper - the only player except for the batsmen wearing gloves

Batting

Openers - first up pair of batters

Middle order - 3rd - 7th batters, usually the captain bats 3rd or 4th, wicket keeper 6th / 7th

Tail - Bowlers

Ways to get out = dismissals

Bowled - the bowler hits the stumps and bales that form the wicket

Chopped on - The batsman hits the stumps with the ball from a misdirected shot

Bat Before Wicket = BBW - the batman breaks the stumps with his bat

Leg Before Wicket = LBW - the bowler hits the bowlers legs in line with the wicket without the ball touching the bat

Stumping - Wicket keeper breaks the stumps when the batter is out of his crease (white line in front of the wicket)

Runout - A fieldsman throws the ball, hits and breaks the stumps direct while batsmen are running between wickets while out of their crease

Caught - The ball is gathered in the hands before it hits the ground.

There are many ways to score runs.

Ones, twos, threes, fours, fives and sixes.

Boundaries

Hitting the rope or fence = 4 runs

Clearing the rope or fence = 6 runs

Byes - the bowler, wicket keeper and batsman miss the ball

Leg byes - the ball deflects off the batter's legs (not in front of wicket)

No Ball - the bowler overstepped the crease or "chucked the ball"

Wide - the ball overshoots the width of the Cricket pitch

Powerplays

Batting - occur before the 40th over consists of 5 overs

Bowling - the field is set with only 3 fielders inside the circle

Dismissal Review System = DRS - each team has 2 batting and bowling challenges

This may help, Strider.

Very well put Reggie

Also as Strider is a man of books, he can find this and enjoy some late night reading....

post-4226-0-85830200-1424073695_thumb.jp

Very well put Reggie

Also as Strider is a man of books, he can find this and enjoy some late night reading....

attachicon.gifth.jpg

Another important point is in test cricket the balls are red and replaced after 80, 6 ball overs or if it's been belted out of shape, lost or tampered with by a player(s), by a ball of equal age (number of overs used).

50 over ODI's balls are white.

Why aren't you going for New Zealand?????

Hi Julie! :wave:

So very sorry for my incredibly late reply! I didn't notice your post until now! :slapface:

Anyway, I forgot to mention in my previous post that NZ is one of the teams I am rooting for, as well. It's just that I do find Australia and South Africa, a tad bit more exciting to watch in comparison to NZ, but I have rather underestimated NZ's capabilities to play good cricket and I happily accept that I am wrong :blush: Anyway, I really do hope that you can accept me as a fan of Australia too! :blush:

:peace:

Hi Julie! :wave:

So very sorry for my incredibly late reply! I didn't notice your post until now! :slapface:

Anyway, I forgot to mention in my previous post that NZ is one of the teams I am rooting for, as well. It's just that I do find Australia and South Africa, a tad bit more exciting to watch in comparison to NZ, but I have rather underestimated NZ's capabilities to play good cricket and I happily accept that I am wrong :blush: Anyway, I really do hope that you can accept me as a fan of Australia too! :blush:

:peace:

of course! How can you NOT love the Aussies? :whistling:

Load of fucking garbage. Weak and thoroughly embarrassing. Should have picked KP. At least he wanted to play. File under: "There to make up the numbers"

I just watched the highlights. What a thoroughly shocking performance. The New Zealanders scored 100 in 7 OVERS, Thankfully they didn't bat first. The Captain should be sacked and never play for England again EVER. Morgan watched Southee take 7 wickets from one end by swinging the ball. When it's Englands turn to bowl, which end does Anderson bowl from? Yes you guessed it, the opposite end. Good call Morgan you thick twat. Scotland must be rubbing their hands with the thought of Sundays game. In fact I reckon Afghanistan would beat this shower of losers.

No cyclone Marcia is too far north to affect New Zeal

At least in England there is a long and noble tradition of hoping the weather will get us out of having to actually play well and hope for a draw.

As for England in the next WC I hope they actually send a team with bowlers, fielders and even a batsman or two. :tears:

Holy guacamole! I must say that the England - NZ encounter and the Pakistan-West Indies encounter were 2 extremely strange cricket matches! I know NZ is a great team but I still can't get over the manner in which Southee ripped through the English innings! I was supporting NZ of course, but I honestly couldn't help but feel sorry for the English supporters! :(

And then there was that extraordinary figure of 1 run with 4 wickets down! Jesus Christ! Pakistan batted like a bunch of kids! Does their batting line-up even exist anymore? Hmmm...only time will tell, I guess!

Really looking forward to the Australia-NZ encounter, next week! :D

At least in England there is a long and noble tradition of hoping the weather will get us out of having to actually play well and hope for a draw.

As for England in the next WC I hope they actually send a team with bowlers, fielders and even a batsman or two. :tears:

Hahaha, you can't lose if you don't actually play. Perhaps England should pray for tornadoes every day they're scheduled to play?

Came across this article about Nike and India...India is the only team at the Cricket World Cup representing the Nike swoosh:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/02/21/india-is-nikes-only-hope-at-the-cricket-world-cup/

Australia vs. New Zealand today.

After last weeks washout this will be Australia's second game in a fortnight after defeating England, so they are short on match fitness.

New Zealand are on fire with some ferocious victories so far and rightly favourites but the pressure will be on them to win at home.

Australia will enjoy being the underdog in this match even though there isn't much between the two sides.

The winner will most likely be top of there pool unless there is an upset in the remaining games leading up to the finals.

Given the boundaries are shorter than most ovals (55 metres), both with quality batters and bowlers a high scoring match is on the cards.

Should be a cracker.

Australia vs. New Zealand today.

After last weeks washout this will be Australia's second game in a fortnight after defeating England, so they are short on match fitness.

New Zealand are on fire with some ferocious victories so far and rightly favourites but the pressure will be on them to win at home.

Australia will enjoy being the underdog in this match even though there isn't much between the two sides.

The winner will most likely be top of there pool unless there is an upset in the remaining games leading up to the finals.

Given the boundaries are shorter than most ovals (55 metres), both with quality batters and bowlers a high scoring match is on the cards.

Should be a cracker.

Fingers crossed, Reggie!

Archived