Top 5 Live For A Newcomer

Mr_K

The more I think about this the more I think a "newcomer" should start with the official releases. There are many to choose from these days!

Paris '69 from the new Led Zeppelin remaster

RAH '70 from the Led Zeppelin DVD

BBC '71 from Live at the BBC

Long Beach/LA '72 from HtWWW

New York '73 from TSRtS and the DVD

Earl's Court '75 from the DVD

Knebworth '79 from the DVD

This covers all the tours except '77 and '80. The next move would be to get either 6/21 or 23 of LA '77 and Frankfurt or Zurich '80 to get the full experience.

• 1 year later...

For a newcomer. Close to official quality. Sounds great to un-booted ears. Covers as much of "The prism as possible". Easy to find.

1. 4/27/69 Liquid Led

2. 1/9/70 Godfather or Winston

3. 1/22/73 EV Swastika (so many great matrix to chose from but this one is loud and clear)

4. 6/2/73 Godfather (A Celebration For Being Who You Are. It's entirely AUD. )

5. 3/19-3/20 Liquid Led

6. 2-14-75 Godfather or EV (awesome Heartbreaker)

7. 4-27-77 EV Maximum Destroyer (or skip it)

8. 6/21or 6/23 Winston or almost any Empress Valley (6/21/77 , Jimmy and Bonzo are locked. 6/23 IMO ONE OF THE BEST No Quarters)

9. 6/29/80 Zurich or 6/30/80 Frankfurt  (Most are great and I can't believe Winston didn't do these this as part of Omega)

After listening to these for some time. Try these.

4/24/69 GF

9/4/70 Winston

9/23/71 Winston

6/25/72 Equinox

73- Scorpio's Soundboard Platter (IMO THE BEST document of Heavy Zep and Bonzo's at his most powerful )

1-15-73 Rizzlers or Live At Trentham Gardens. Features Bass and Drums in your face.

3-17 & 21-75 Dinosaur in Motion Box Set (you should be addicted by now....)

Don't dismiss Audience copies. Some real great one's

4-28-77 One of the best from 77 performance wise. Destroyers Return

5-18-77  EV Out Of My Way

11-25-71 The Diploma

6-11-77 4 Source Merge

2-28-75 Led Ashtray

3-12-75 New Source and Millards Encores . MUST HAVE.

Titles are important. Be specific with these.

Some of the best known tapers are Freezer and Millard you cant go wrong with either one.

I've skipped a ton of great boots.  So many of them and none the same!

If you ever decide to purchase any physical boots. Buyer beware make sure you are getting EXACTLY what you want. "Same thing " is seldom true. Read as much as you can. This board is best. I will send you a link to another site if you'd like. Information on a new boot each day. 10 minutes you can read about it and

EFF the Pot Roast , run out and buy some silvers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie/lurker to this wonderful site. Thank you for all of these suggestions.

It might also be helpful to not only name show dates but also the preferred title of the bootleg as many of these dates have multiple bootleg releases and I doubt a newcomer to LZ bootlegs has the time nowadays to wade through the endless number of titles for particular shows.

Top 5 I'd give to a newcomer

ROYAL ALBERT HALL, disc 1 on Zeppelin DVD ---- HOLY SMOKES!

1. How the West Was Won

2. DVD

3. TSRTS New and old soundtracks, as well as new and old version of film are musts

Unofficial

1. 6/21/77 Millard tape

2. 3/19/75 soundboard

3. 5/30/77 soundboard

4. 1973 soundboards (Mobile, Seattle, etc)

5. 1969-1979 soundboard tapes all offer a unique experience and a trip back in time to the front row of a Led Zeppelin performance! B)

I want to update my list with a post 2015 release. And I hope.

I'm hoping for hidden sound boards, still in pristine condition, for release. For example, March 21 1975, the Seattle show. I think the soundboard is out there. That would go straight to number 1 on any list.

Some people have commented that a top must listen to should be a most listened to, an official release, or an historic rarity, appreciated from a long time zep fan. All those qualities are important.

I think though for a Zep newbie 3 things are tops. A good sound quality, many familiar hits, and performance greatness start to finish are of first importance.

As I've listened over the past year, my taste has changed and I listen to more 73, 75, 77 recordings. They are often uneven but there is a maturity in their selection and improvisation I like. Perhaps a newbie's age should be considered for recommendations.

I remember the first time I heard Led Zeppelin, at least the first time that I knew it was Led Zeppelin, and it was The Song Remains the Same from the Houses of the Holy. On vinyl. And that was just after the album was released. And I thought it was like pots and pans falling down in a kitchen hitting the house cat in an earthquake.

Obviously my taste has changed over the years.

Thanks to everyone for all their posts.

Archived