Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
osoz

Did Led Zeppelin make the right decision to break up?

Recommended Posts

The big differences here is that all the bands mentioned, who replaced  one or more members, the replacements were

usually acceptable and may have even done some cool stuff. Still not like the "original", but Zep just couldn't do that,

everyone was distinctive and great. And live they had that ESP thing happening a lot. In Ozzy's bands( after Sabbath)

Randy Rhoads was basically the best song composer and soloist, Jake E Lee wasn't too bad. After that, Not too good.

Zakk Wilde may be a very good soloist, but many of the riffs and songs weren't too original or creative. I also in particular

think Jimmy wasn't even fit to continue on with the band. So not just Bonzo's death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, BledZabbath said:

 

 

How do you guys feel about Sabbath without Ozzy and the revolving door of musicians that came after? At one point Tony Iommi was the only original member.

Again, I saw them with and without Ozzy.  I was never a big fan of Ozzy...I never thought he was a good singer and had no range.  I considered him the weak link in the band.  When they replaced him with RJD, I was ecstatic!  Always loved Ronnie and thought he was one of the best vocalists in rock.  Plus with his dark persona, he fit in well with the message Sabbath always tried to embrace.  Their two albums "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" ranked right up there with "Paranoid" and "Masters of Reality" in my book.  After RJD left, I failed to see them as Sabbath anymore until Ozzy joined them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

 In Ozzy's bands( after Sabbath)

Randy Rhoads was basically the best song composer and soloist, Jake E Lee wasn't too bad. After that, Not too good.

Zakk Wilde may be a very good soloist, but many of the riffs and songs weren't too original or creative.

I agree with the Randy comment.

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Again, I saw them with and without Ozzy.  I was never a big fan of Ozzy...I never thought he was a good singer and had no range.  I considered him the weak link in the band.  When they replaced him with RJD, I was ecstatic!  Always loved Ronnie and thought he was one of the best vocalists in rock.  Plus with his dark persona, he fit in well with the message Sabbath always tried to embrace.  Their two albums "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" ranked right up there with "Paranoid" and "Masters of Reality" in my book.  After RJD left, I failed to see them as Sabbath anymore until Ozzy joined them again.

I love Ronnie too, but that line-up didn't sound like Sabbath, the only time Ronnie sounded dark singing with Sabbath is when he covered the Ozzy songs and sounded over dramatic trying to do so.

You didn't like the Born Again album?

Edited by BledZabbath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

I agree with the Randy comment.

I love Ronnie too, but that line-up didn't sound like Sabbath, the only time Ronnie sounded dark singing with Sabbath is when he covered the Ozzy songs and sounded over dramatic trying to do so.

You didn't like the Born Again?

I loved Gillan's vocal range (who wouldn't), but I always considered him a pretty piss poor lyricist.  "Born Again" had some great songs on it (Trashed and Zero the Hero in particular), but it didn't seem like Sabbath to me at that point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stryder1978 said:

I loved Gillan's vocal range (who wouldn't), but I always considered him a pretty piss poor lyricist.  "Born Again" had some great songs on it (Trashed and Zero the Hero in particular), but it didn't seem like Sabbath to me at that point!

I respect your opinion Stryder, none of the post Ozzy albums sounded like Sabbath, you can say even 13 doesn't sound like Sabbath without Bill Ward, which brings me back to the point I was trying to make on this thread, Led Zeppelin made the right choice calling it quits after Bonzo's untimely death. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I'm thinking about it, Metallica has done well over the years with changes in their lineup, but I think the big thing there is that James Hetfield has been there throughout providing consistent songwriting. Also, they don't "jam" and go off on tangents. I saw them in July and it was a FANTASTIC show, but it's just a show. They play their music with very little additional interpretation or riffs. Their live music follows their studio sound very closely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Now that I'm thinking about it, Metallica has done well over the years with changes in their lineup, but I think the big thing there is that James Hetfield has been there throughout providing consistent songwriting. Also, they don't "jam" and go off on tangents. I saw them in July and it was a FANTASTIC show, but it's just a show. They play their music with very little additional interpretation or riffs. Their live music follows their studio sound very closely. 

To a lot of people Metallica died with Cliff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BledZabbath said:

I respect your opinion Stryder, none of the post Ozzy albums sounded like Sabbath, you can say even 13 doesn't sound like Sabbath without Bill Ward, which brings me back to the point I was trying to make on this thread, Led Zeppelin made the right choice calling it quits after Bonzo's untimely death. 

I know a LOT of Sabbath purists that feel that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I know a LOT of Sabbath purists that feel that way!

This is why I say Zeppelin made the right choice in calling it quits after Bonzo’s untimely death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2017 at 1:19 PM, BledZabbath said:

Glad I could help, I like Ozzy-less Sabbath, but don’t consider it Sabbath.

Oh hell yes, Heave & Hell and Mob Rules were better than either Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die albums with Ozzy. IMO of course.

Mith is right, Jimmy was on a serious downward spiral and if Bonzo would have lived, Jimmy would have likely died. Either way, without some form of intervention or long hiatus, Zeppelin would have been over by 1981. TBH after everything that happened on the 77' tour and the death of Karac, I am very surprised Robert did not leave the band in 78'.

Edited by IpMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, how many people know that Roy Harper( British Folk "Protest" singer and friend of Jimmy and sometime collaborator) mentioned in some English farming magazine that he was writing lyrics for the next Zep album.

Jimmy apparently knew Robert read this magazine, and although Jimmy tried to be patient with Robert and his

grieving, he was getting impatient, and Robert got in touch with Jimmy very quickly after Roy's comments.

So as pointed out in a earlier post, Zep was basically on life support from 78' on. Just can't imagine anyone in

the band somehow going on into the 80's, without seriously compromising the band.

As far as Sabbath, the rhythm section of Geezer and Bill Ward were very unique; they actually swung and got jazzy over

Tony Iommi's  Panzer Tank riffs, other bands could cop some of Iommi's sludge but not the jazzy rhythm section.. Thought

RJD was damn good(excellent live !!) but it wasn't Sabbath .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 0:52 AM, Mithril46 said:

RJD was damn good(excellent live !!) but it wasn't Sabbath .

 

Thank you Mithril46!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×