Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

8 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

I didn't know about the 1991 Led Zeppelin reunion attempt.  Can you share any details about this? 

It was a band meeting between Page, Plant and Jones at Trinifold (Plant's management) in London in Jan 1991. The Led Zeppelin Definitive Collection was released a few months prior. In the meeting they discussed a reformation.  Drummer Mike Bordin of Faith No More was mentioned by Plant as a possible drummer. Page & Jones were not familiar with Bordin so they left the meeting to purchase a Faith No More video from Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus. However, by the time they returned Robert had already changed his mind about the whole thing.

Shortly thereafter, Rod MacSween (old friend of Coverdale's) from ITB Promotions contacted Page's management (Brian Goode) to propose a collaboration with Coverdale. Before the end of the month, Jimmy received a phone call from Brian asking him to consider meeting with David Coverdale to discuss working together. Jimmy contacted David and they agreed to meet in Manhattan in March (1991). The rest is history.  

On 17/12/2015 at 0:04 AM, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

Wonder what Page would say if he read this thread...

No need to speculate, I very much doubt that any of the surviving members have ever visited these forums.

I think it's Robert that has been holding back, he's really weird.  One moment he says he does not feel like being a Jukebox doing old songs but majority of his solo career he covered Zeppelin songs live. 

There are a ton of people that would be honored to work with Jimmy but wish Jimmy had more enthusiasm.  Lot of times you can kinda see that spark of energy and happiness in his eyes that he want to but something holding him back.

As Oasis sang “don’t put your life in the hands of a rock n roll band, they’ll throw it all away” – this dog won’t hunt;  Page as much as I love him and want him to record new music and be seen playing guitar again, it’s over, he won’t do it because he doesn’t care anymore.  Time to move on folks

On 12/13/2016 at 5:22 PM, craigled said:

This is the official forum. Do not be so sure its not been read by the band members.

I agree. It has to roll off of their backs, the good and the bad.. I don't think Jimmy in particular gives much of a rats ass what anyone thinks.. 

On 12/18/2016 at 1:56 PM, BledZabbath said:

Robert Plant fucked up the whole Zep reunion and possible new album.

Well true, but Jimmy's inactivity is not Robert's fault. I admire Robert for sticking to his guns.. and i wouldn't  want a Robert Plant led my way or the highway reunion anyway..

I just wish Jimmy went for it on his own.. and didn't piss away years hoping for it to happen again.. I knew, I think most of us here know that Robert Plant is not going to budge. Not ever.

Great job on all the Remasters, BBC, DVD,  Celebration Day, TSRTS, HTWWW etc... by the way.. 

not holding my breath for anyone... 

19 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

How great would it have been to have a new Zep album with Jason on drums? Just to keep it in the Zep family in memory of his Dad.

Would have been great by me. I'm settling for seeing Sabbath 6 times in the last 3 years, and getting a new album from them as well. 1 out of 2 dreams fulfilled ain't bad, I guess. 

22 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

How great would it have been to have a new Zep album with Jason on drums? Just to keep it in the Zep family in memory of his Dad.

This certainly would be the event that most would dream of happening. even if it was total crap I'd still be happy that we would finally have the answer and the actual full stop to all this and we could all move on band members included.

6 hours ago, JAP said:

This certainly would be the event that most would dream of happening. even if it was total crap I'd still be happy that we would finally have the answer and the actual full stop to all this and we could all move on band members included.

It would break records for centuries to come.

On 12/15/2016 at 10:47 PM, SymphonyX said:

I think it's Robert that has been holding back, he's really weird.  One moment he says he does not feel like being a Jukebox doing old songs but majority of his solo career he covered Zeppelin songs live.

The Zeppelin songs that Robert is doing in concert, are re-worked Zeppelin songs. Robert is not doing "Led Zeppelin" songs, he's performing re-worked Led Zeppelin songs. Now, that's not the same as performing "Led Zeppelin" songs, which he has only done rarely, since the break up of the band in 1980. (Live Aid, Atlantic's 40th, and the O2 concert, which Robert did as a one-off, not for Jimmy, or Jason, or Jonesy, but in response to a request from the late Ahmet's wife).

Robert, whether you agree with him or not, is done with "Led Zeppelin". I was very under-impressed with the "Page & Plant" affair. It wasn't awful by any means. But it was so unledded, that it didn't do it for me.

When Robert, in his mind, made his decision to not do "Led Zeppelin", then that was it. I am convinced that Robert has "Led Zeppelin" permanently in his rear view mirror now. "There's no turning back..." But that said, I know you Dreamers, feel that any day now, Robert will change his mind. Holding out Hope. I do not hold out any hope of that ever happening. It's rather peaceful in a way, to know that's settled.

6 minutes ago, The Rover said:

The Zeppelin songs that Robert is doing in concert, are re-worked Zeppelin songs. Robert is not doing "Led Zeppelin" songs, he's performing re-worked Led Zeppelin songs. Now, that's not the same as performing "Led Zeppelin" songs, which he has only done rarely, since the break up of the band in 1980. (Live Aid, Atlantic's 40th, and the O2 concert, which Robert did as a one-off, not for Jimmy, or Jason, or Jonesy, but in response to a request from the late Ahmet's wife).

Robert, whether you agree with him or not, is done with "Led Zeppelin". I was very under-impressed with the "Page & Plant" affair. It wasn't awful by any means. But it was so unledded, that it didn't do it for me.

When Robert, in his mind, made his decision to not do "Led Zeppelin", then that was it. I am convinced that Robert has "Led Zeppelin" permanently in his rear view mirror now. "There's no turning back..." But that said, I know you Dreamers, feel that any day now, Robert will change his mind. Holding out Hope. I do not hold out any hope of that ever happening. It's rather peaceful in a way, to know that's settled.

Ahmet's wife, if your reading this, ask him again would you.

The problem is, and has always been that John Bonham died in 1980. The man was irreplaceable. Zeppelin isn't like the many others who had the ability to carry on no matter who the fuck died in the band. Shit, I guarantee you that if Charlie Watts had died he'd have been replaced in a heartbeat. And don't even get me started on The Who. Bands normally don't breakup when a member dies, they breakup because they can't stand each other anymore or just put up with each other for the money. I don't blame Plant for not wanting to play with Jimmy and Jones, and I don't blame Jimmy for wanting to play with Plant, not at all. 

10 hours ago, JAP said:

I am certain it would not be crap. It would sell like mad. Even on cd version. Millions would be happy. Not just for the music either.

21 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Are we really gonna have this conversation...again...in December 2016? :burp:

The horse is too dead, it's expired, it's off it's life, it's mortality has been issued, and its decomposed. Stop beating it!!  Enjoy the bootlegs!

On 2/5/2015 at 10:19 AM, Mithril46 said:

Jimmy really will surprise us all, and different he shall be !!! The project is taking so long because Jimmy will no longer be playing

guitar.......He never could be satisfied with his post-Zep drummers.....So Jimmy will be on drums !!!!!

haha

I think, that as part of Brexit, Britain had to agree that there would be no Led Zeppelin reformation discussions. But, until the Brexit is finalized, expect those discussions to continue into 2018, the 50th Anniversary of the formation of theband we know as Led Zeppelin.

Archived