Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

8 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

That's a nice thing to say isn't it

It was posted by Box of Jimmy's. I wouldn't expect posts quoting Socrates.

13 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Hmm, I think Doug Boyle was a damn fine player who could easily hold his own with Jimmy, Beck, or any of the greats.

That icky Ibanez sound aside, Doug Boyle is a fine player but come on man, he's not in the same league. Name one Doug Boyle composition. I rest my case. 

7 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It was posted by Box of Jimmy's. I wouldn't expect posts quoting Socrates.

That icky Ibanez sound aside, Doug Boyle is a fine player but come on man, he's not in the same league. Name one Doug Boyle composition. I rest my case. 

Hey now, never said he was a good songwriter, or even a songwriter at all...I was only defending his chops and his playing ability. You are right about the Ibanez sound, never liked his tone on that shitty guitar but he was a damn talented player none the less.

26 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Hey now, never said he was a good songwriter, or even a songwriter at all...I was only defending his chops and his playing ability. You are right about the Ibanez sound, never liked his tone on that shitty guitar but he was a damn talented player none the less.

I agree with this. I remember watching Liars Dance at Knebworth '90 (just Plant and Boyle on acoustic) and his playing was superb.

Lots of feel as well as technical ability.

The Ibanez did suck though. 

The first two Plant guitarists in his solo career were good to excellent. Robbie Blunt was damn good and like Page

was a versatile player, and had a lot of the time a distinctive style and lead guitar tone. Boyle was very talented but

had for me an unresolved overall style, he seemed to be mixing jazz fusion with rock but I do believe at this point

Plant was starting to meddle with his musician's  natural styles. I actually read that Robert was pushing Boyle to

listen to older blues guitarists. Could work great, but IMO I didn't see any change in Boyle's style from that.

Robbie Blunt was insanely like Page. Nearly the whole of Pictures at Eleven sounds like he was working with Page.

Majority of those sounds and songs would of fit right into Presence or ITTOD. 

Mystery Title scarily sounds like Page.

Blunt did a really really good job and Plant got the best out of him

Archived